PDL 2. Round 3 Game 1. AAR

After game reports for PlaDip Diplomacy League games

Moderator: mjparrett

PDL 2. Round 3 Game 1. AAR

Postby mhsmith0 » 30 May 2018, 23:59

FIR 3-way draw, all have accepted, more to be filled in when I can / when finalization actually processes

ENGLAND (Uffington Horse)
FRANCE (duckling) 3 WAY DRAW
ITALY (mhsmith0) 3 WAY DRAW
GERMANY (Iggy)
AUSTRIA (MildWombat)
TURKEY (lb1785)
RUSSIA (Shyvve) 3 WAY DRAW

Final position:

Game Link
https://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play ... _id=144120
Last edited by mhsmith0 on 31 May 2018, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: PDL 2. Round 3 Game 1. AAR

Postby mhsmith0 » 31 May 2018, 01:30

Things to note/discuss when I have the time (and my lord did I not have time to keep going on this game, rl is ridiculously busy for me right now so I'm quite happy to make it out alive on this one)

1) My Russian relations as they developed (this kind of bleeds into all of the other items btw)
2) The EF alliance and how I was able to work against it behind the scenes
3) Why Turkey needed to go
4) How and why I went from a fall 1903 season where I was gonna attack France to a major realignment of the board state
5) Why I stabbed Austria
6) Why it ended in a 3-way instead of a more ambitious 2-way (the short answer here, btw, is Russia wasn’t much interested in being more ambitious, and France and I only kinda passively danced around that topic, since the draw was accepted before it could really have much shot of becoming reality)
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Postby mhsmith0 » 31 May 2018, 02:05

Some questions I have for the group:

1) Why was there little to no interest for an aggressive early anti-France alliance? I'd brought it up a couple times w Germany and at least once w England but no takers. That seemed like a generically fun and productive way to start the game off well for those powers, and I'm not really sure why an EF alliance was better for England, or why one of EF (I forget which) leaked the channel DMZ to Germany if it wasn't intended to be part of negotiating basis for "I'll go into the channel and screw over the other half of EF if you promise me you'll do ____"

2) What exactly was the relationship that E/F had with Turkey? I know that France had encouraged me to stab Austria, including when I was fairly committed to attacking Turkey, which I remember interpreting as even more evidence that Turkey needed to go FAST before EF could potentially grow and actively coordinate with him. Still curious if that was an active partnership or just a passive/silent partnership where they were just more indirectly helping each other.

3) Why were France and Russia non-ambitious to try and get something more interesting than a 3wd (I suppose they could have plotted 2wd together but the board didn't support a stab of Italy at all imo)? I'm not complaining (I wasn't lying that rl really took the wind out of my sails for energy and ability to sustain presence in this game), but I thought that I could have pretty effectively turned the game into a 2wd with either power really. Russia in particular had a great path to run through the north, and the northern half of the juggernaut line should have been easy enough to set up and maintain even if we'd needed to negotiate details (and probably he'd have had a chance to stab for 18 or just have France kingmake him).

4) Who turned down the draw the first go-around and why? Again, not complaining, just kind of curious.
mhsmith0

Postby boldblade » 31 May 2018, 04:03

mhsmith0 wrote:Why were France and Russia non-ambitious to try and get something more interesting than a 3wd

You, of all people, complaining about a non ambitious Russia? That is quite rich. Or maybe I should just feel a sense of accomplishment as perhaps my criticisms have changed you a little. Probably just more fair to laugh at the irony.
boldblade

Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)
Timezone: GMT

Postby mhsmith0 » 31 May 2018, 04:13

boldblade wrote:
mhsmith0 wrote:Why were France and Russia non-ambitious to try and get something more interesting than a 3wd

You, of all people, complaining about a non ambitious Russia? That is quite rich. Or maybe I should just feel a sense of accomplishment as perhaps my criticisms have changed you a little. Probably just more fair to laugh at the irony.

I'm not really complaining; I was busy, I'm happy to have less time commitment on my slate, and I'll NEVER be unhappy about a 3 way draw in freaking 1905, like the epitome of a nice and easy good result. More just curious about the road not taken. Russia in particular I'd basically spent a large chunk of the game laying the groundwork for us to chop it 2 ways (I'm pretty sure I was talking about that as a serious possibility back in like 1902), which I'll probably chat more about when I do my longer aar.

PS I don't feel like I'm a flagrant carebear, though obviously you may disagree on that point ;) Certainly I'll be pretty clear that I was far from carebearing this one, given that I'd repeatedly poked Russia about a 2wd possibility, got essentially a "no thanks" (which like I said, is fine, I just want to not be the person people complain about carebearing here :P ), and in the end everyone took the 3wd, including the defeated parties, a bit before it made sense to really get with France on a 2wd possibility (and even then, the overall level of alliance coordination made that a fairly difficult task imo)
mhsmith0

Postby mhsmith0 » 31 May 2018, 04:18

OTOH I will admit that "let's make those people who hate draws salty as hell" was a fun alliance message to pass around :P
mhsmith0

Postby boldblade » 31 May 2018, 04:28

Complaining, remarking, questioning, whatever you wanna call it... all of these things are ironic coming from you in this context.

mhsmith0 wrote:good result

Lol. Clearly I was right not to feel any sense of pride in my criticisms potentially having hit home.

mhsmith0 wrote:obviously you may disagree on that point

Correct. But I am almost proud of you for having a higher ambition than before.
boldblade

Postby boldblade » 31 May 2018, 04:28

mhsmith0 wrote:OTOH I will admit that "let's make those people who hate draws salty as hell" was a fun alliance message to pass around :P

I am embarrassed for all of you.
boldblade

Postby mhsmith0 » 31 May 2018, 04:50

boldblade wrote:
mhsmith0 wrote:OTOH I will admit that "let's make those people who hate draws salty as hell" was a fun alliance message to pass around :P

I am embarrassed for all of you.

I mean, I was able to leverage distaste for people not playing the game into a stronger and happier alliance so *shrugs* I also explicitly gave an effort at getting more, but when I got no real interest in that, I decided to be happy with a good result (and a 3wd is a good result; 2wd is very good, and solo is great, at least that's how I see it). Why would I feel bad about rolling into a 3wd before 5 game years are even finished, and (almost certainly temporarily) being in first place on the league leaderboard?
mhsmith0

Postby boldblade » 31 May 2018, 06:06

mhsmith0 wrote:
I mean, I was able to leverage distaste for people not playing the game into a stronger and happier alliance so *shrugs* I also explicitly gave an effort at getting more, but when I got no real interest in that, I decided to be happy with a good result (and a 3wd is a good result; 2wd is very good, and solo is great, at least that's how I see it). Why would I feel bad about rolling into a 3wd before 5 game years are even finished, and (almost certainly temporarily) being in first place on the league leaderboard?

You are quite remarkable.
boldblade

Next

Return to PDL AARs