PDL 3. Round 2 Game 3. AAR

After game reports for PlaDip Diplomacy League games

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 3. Round 2 Game 3. AAR

Postby todiefor » 25 Apr 2018, 18:16

I did get stabbed lots of times didn't I . The enjoyment was in being able to survive most of them, talk my out of some tricky situations and still stay around to annoy those who had stabbed me
England never really said very much even when we could have joined against Germany I was left wondering if he would do what I asked and surprised when he did

Italy I hope we're going to hear from you I'm really interested to read your reasoning on many of your moves especially taking my centres instead of the alliance we had created I'm not the only one who thought it was the wrong move and that it handed Germany the game
todiefor
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1035
All-game rating: 1041
Timezone: GMT

Postby Shyvve » 25 Apr 2018, 18:49

This is neither here nor there but...I kinda liked Axis & Allies...
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1313
All-game rating: 1345
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby boldblade » 25 Apr 2018, 18:58

Shyvve wrote:This is neither here nor there but...I kinda liked Axis & Allies...

The first time I saw Axis & Allies I was amazed. I was probably about 11 or 12 and my older cousins were playing it with one of my uncles. But it was such a long and grinding game nobody in my family really had interest in trying it again after that. By the time I encountered it again in college I was eager to play but my friend that had it also had Diplomacy and implored our friend group to try that instead. I immediately fell in love and honestly don't see why anyone would spend the time playing Axis & Allies if they knew about Diplomacy. Unless of course they were terrible at persuasion and could only hope to achieve success with dice rolls.
boldblade

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 25 Apr 2018, 19:03

Shyvve wrote:This is neither here nor there but...I kinda liked Axis & Allies...

The first time I played, I was 6... Playing with my older brother. We could barely read the rule book....and this the game dragged over three days.
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby hedge trimmer » 26 Apr 2018, 09:00

Don Juan of Austria wrote:Not that I'm part of this game...or really have any business commenting, I'm going to comment anyway. :P

That's what I liked about you must, Malachite... I've only played with you once, but you kept me guessing the whole game. And if your constant communication with me was any indication of what your comms were with others... I had reason to be worried. ;)

Well, I think in our game we at least agreed that I (technically) didn't lie to you, but in the PDL games I've been a lot more dishonest. So it's probably worse here. :D
Silent and deadly Loud and annoying
hedge trimmer

Standard rating: 1353
All-game rating: 1376
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Caladrius » 30 Apr 2018, 00:37

It's not generally my way to post AARs on my games but with the comments of others perhaps a few words giving my take on some aspects of this game are justified on this occasion.

This was effectively my first league game, having joined the fray by picking up a lost surrendered position halfway through round 1.

Firstly many congratulations to Germany, who fully deserved the solo. Some of his play in the early stages was particularly commendable in laying the ground for what followed. Well played sir!

Italy was probably the wrong country in the wrong game for me given all would be alert to the success that others had enjoyed with it in the first round, which included a solo and a 2 way draw. But I've had some solo success with it myself in the past (not on this site) so resolved to make the best of it. In the event that best was merely average.

Initial signs were hopeful but by 1903 things had gone awry with Italian counterweights Russia and England all but out, some battling with France to make headway in the west whilst Austria was forging ahead.

I had worked reasonably well with Austria up to this point but was becoming concerned that he was on the point of becoming too big to handle and was also the source of what appeared to be an abnormally high level of fake communications. Not personally what I like to see.

Despite the fact that Turkey was in trouble I therefore forged an alliance with him and latterly France to combat this and an increasingly powerful Germany.

It was moderately successful up to a point and indeed with Turkey held to game end but was probably all undertaken a bit too late.

Others have said that when I decided to stab France towards game end it helped the eventual German solo. I disagree with that view entirely. The position at that point was that Germany would either overrun France anyway and reach 18 in Iberia, Marseilles or even Venice/Trieste or else I could block that with the extra gains and builds.

That decision was also influenced by the apparent difference between league and normal Diplomacy in that no games in any league seem to end in the 5 way draw a successful F/I/T would produce, indeed there was no positive response to a feeler put out for a 5 way, in the absence of which I felt there was the outside chance of a smaller draw being achieved. I might possibly have made a different call in a regular game but that's hypothetical.

However previous enmities around the board could not be overcome and all I got was encouragement to attack allies rather than  stop runaway leader Germany, who rolled inexorably on to victory.

To conclude I should apologise to all for my sometimes infrequent messaging in this game, which was pretty much a one-off for me .

At various times during 7 weeks of play real life intervened through having a sick relative in hospital, a new kitchen installed at home, a 5 day road trip to Germany and sorting arrangements for an upcoming wedding, all of which hampered frequent attention to the game.

The irony was that I got Star Ambassador status conferred at the end of it, so I'll try and justify that better in future..

So far from the happiest game of Diplomacy I've played but a good learning experience nonetheless. For me the best bit was playing an I/T that, even if ultimately unsuccessful, did at least hold up rather than collapse in acrimony as many do.

And once again well played Germany.

Caladrius
ITALY
Omnia mundi fumus et umbra

(All in the world is smoke and shadow)

Francesco da Molin

I had a wonderful reason for not merely courting you
I wanted to talk about your eyes
I know nothing about your eyes

Leonard Cohen
Caladrius
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1069)
All-game rating: (1077)

Postby hedge trimmer » 30 Apr 2018, 06:54

Caladrius wrote:I had worked reasonably well with Austria up to this point but was becoming concerned that he was on the point of becoming too big to handle and was also the source of what appeared to be an abnormally high level of fake communications. Not personally what I like to see.

First of all, thank you for contributing, I appreciate it. I have to be my annoying self though and raise an objection.

I don't recall all that many fake communications happening before 1903, but like any good politician my memory does get faulty whenever I get accused of lying so who knows. What I would assume you reference here happened after our war had already started and you had been ignoring me for around two years, when I sent a forged letter to Turkey "from Italy". He seemed to be suspicious enough of his allies for that to work, and he relied heavily on forwarding press so I thought he wouldn't doubt it. Of course it didn't work, but I suppose I had just insulted him, and he had taken it much more heavily than I had ever intended. In any case, it's not like I had much options left at that point anyway.

Besides that... I reviewed my early messages to you, and I can't really see what the abnormally high level of fake communications could refer to.

I didn't tell you that Greece would be empty in Fall 1901, but there was no way I was going to let you take Greece and force another war to start while I was busy with Russia. Besides, you were talking about a Lepanto while attacking France, so I wasn't the only person who wasn't completely open about their moves. I thought I was overall being reasonably open though, and I don't think there was any instances where I told you I was going to do one thing and then do another.

I also noticed you wondering if someone (I assumed you meant me) might've leaked your plans to France too, but that was impossible since I had no idea what your plans were.

You didn't really seem to trust me either before or after that though, and you seemed to be constantly thinking I was lying even when I was being honest, so I feel my later sins are being used to justify your earlier decisions here.

Sometimes I get people accusing me of lying abnormally much even though I've been honest with them, so this isn't the the first game this has happened. Maybe Don Juan was right when he said that "you kept me guessing the whole game", and that's not usually a good thing.
hedge trimmer

Postby Stalwart Higgins » 30 Apr 2018, 18:01

Malachite wrote:
I also noticed you wondering if someone (I assumed you meant me) might've leaked your plans to France too, but that was impossible since I had no idea what your plans were.

You may have forgotten this since it's been a while, but I told you in fall 1901 that I was supporting Italy to Marseilles.
Stalwart Higgins

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1075)
All-game rating: (1092)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby hedge trimmer » 30 Apr 2018, 18:43

StalwartHiggins wrote:
Malachite wrote:

You may have forgotten this since it's been a while, but I told you in fall 1901 that I was supporting Italy to Marseilles.

Oh, I'm sorry. You're correct, you did mention thinking about supporting Italy there.

Well, there goes my credibility. I guess I'm the source of abnormally high level of fake communications after all. :D
hedge trimmer

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 30 Apr 2018, 18:44

Sometimes I get people accusing me of lying abnormally much even though I've been honest with them, so this isn't the the first game this has happened. Maybe Don Juan was right when he said that "you kept me guessing the whole game", and that's not usually a good thing.

Um, of course I'm right. Aren't I always? :roll: :lol:
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148
Timezone: GMT-5