Postby mjparrett » 23 Apr 2018, 19:45

England (ccloughley)
France (todiefor)
Italy (Caladrius)
Germany (StalwartHiggins) SOLO WIN
Austria (Malachite)
Turkey (Zutphania)
Russia (buckielugger)

Congratulations on the league's second solo. Top effort, and promotion to PDL 2 beckons. I hope all involved do post something here, as it is always interesting to read how a solo went down, especially when it seems there was some controversy/disagreements. Get it off your chest here and move on!

ccloughley loses his 100% record and is joined at the top of the table by StalwartHiggins. Top effort.
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1436
All-game rating: 1474
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL 3. Round 2 Game 3. AAR

Postby Stalwart Higgins » 23 Apr 2018, 20:12

While it came with some bad blood, this game has a special place in my heart as my first solo; please forgive the forthcoming self-indulgence.

I came into this game seething from a horrible round one performance. I was stabbed and eliminated, and in my view short-changed by a completely uncooperative Turkey (cough, cough, Malachite). At the start of this game, I felt like playing a little more aggressively than usual. This probably should have backfired, but disharmony on the board, particularly between A/T, allowed me to capitalize on the opportunity.

Opening negotiations- Austria and I were on the same page that a Central Alliance could benefit us both. England and I found that neither of us had heard from France, which made it an easy decision that we should work together to eliminate him. Italy, for his part, told me in private he wanted the Central Alliance, although in our group chat he ignored the proposed DMZ in Tyrolia, which struck me as suspicious. France came around at the end, but it was too late for him. Turkey and I only said hi, and I heard nothing from Russia.

England, Italy, and I all moved aggressively against France in spring 1901. I was optimistic he would fall fast. At first, I thought I should go for Paris, but it occured to me I should try to pace my growth. I agreed to support Italy to Marseilles, since I figured it might help foster some good will between us if I ever needed his help against England. However, when I asked him what he thought about doing with England after France was gone, I got no reply.

Despite everything, France did well his first year, securing two builds. I started to dislike my long-term prospects. England wanted to keep me from building fleets, Italy wasn’t making any commitments for a long-term alliance, and Russia was gunboating. Austria and Turkey seemed like they might be building an alliance, and a long war against France would leave me sandwiched between Austria and England, rather vulnerable to northern fleets. So I changed strategies, and started talking with France. He needed an ally, and let me take a more dominant position, with my army staying in Burgundy to help him back to Marseilles while he left Belgium. I had no intention of taking Belgium so as to avoid attracting attention, but I also didn’t want France to get a build. Meanwhile, I convinced England that if he “permitted” a fleet built in Berlin, I would refrain from taking Belgium.

I kept a friendly face towards England, but I think he saw through it, and after I put a fleet in Kiel communication between us stopped. Austria also suddenly grew quiet. Still, I thought (wishfully) the traditional wisdom that a war between Austria and Germany is bad for both would be enough temporary protection from an A/T. I saw Italy was going to take back Spain, so I decided to give Belgium back to France to maintain a balance of power, while surrounding Belgium with 3 of my own units. Unfortunately, Austria moved to Tyrolia and Silesia. By this point, due to his writing style I suspected Austria was Malachite, and here I was, leaving Berlin defenseless. Feeling like history was repeating itself, I got on my hands and knees begged for my life. That should have been the end of me.

To my surprise, Austria stabbed Turkey and established himself as the board’s dominant player. This sent Turkey scrambling to the rest of the board for help against him. France, Italy and I all agreed that he threatened the balance of power. The plan was for Italy and Turkey to start the attack against Austria first, and I would open a northern front the following year. At first, this seemed like a decent plan, but I also noticed that France was looking weak. After France decided to convoy his army out of Belgium, that sealed the deal; time for Germany to take control. I told Austria there might be talks between I/T to stop his growth, but I didn’t try too hard to convince him.

Due to an NMR from England, I gained Norway and Edinburgh, as well as Belgium in spring 1904. Austria tried to attack me again, thinking Italy was on his side, but the coalition took him by surprise. We quickly agreed he was better off not forcing me into allying with Italy and Turkey. France was upset with the move to Belgium, but I convinced him it was a miscommunication, and that he needed to stab Italy while I turned around to deal with Austria, to work towards a F/G/T endgame. Turkey made things fun in fall 1904 by forwarding his press with Austria to me. Austria had suggested that Turkey attack Italy while Austria stops a German solo. This should have been straightforward, but Turkey refused to turn on his loyal ally, Italy. I forwarded this message back to Austria, showing him Turkey’s behind-the-back maneuvering, and I think that put the final nail in the coffin for any A/T alliance.

After that, it was a long slog towards a solo. Austria proved invaluable, with sound tactics he managed to survive and help shape the German victory. A couple minor hiccups happened along the way; Turkey put a fleet in Rumania, leading me to suspect an attempted reconciliation between A/T, but nothing came of it. Austria also slipped into Warsaw without telling me, but it didn’t interfere with my builds, so I forgave it. In fall 1907, Italy stabbed France, which led France to join the German solo coalition. I’m definitely interested in hearing Italy’s rationale for the stab. In 1908, Austria perfectly guessed I/T’s moves in the east while France and I did the same for Italy in the west, which effectively put the game out of reach.

Then came some last minute drama. Turkey, admitting defeat, came to me and offered support to Sevastopol and Rumania, to eliminate Austria. I couldn’t have written a better script- get vengeance on Malachite, and win the game. I can sympathize with Turkey, but I don’t want to be a sore loser or accused of meta-gaming. I lied to Turkey and told him to attack Rumania, which I made sure would be defended. I’m sorry about that Turkey, if it’s any consolation, 100% of people that have been pissed off by Malachite in PDL have gone on to win solo victories.

Final thoughts:
England- I'm a little curious why you and France were never able to work together?
France- I think you could have been more paranoid of me. It was very nice of you to let me hang out in Burgundy for so long and leave Belgium undefended.
Italy- I think stabbing Austria was the right call, since allying with Austria you would have been second fiddle. The stab against France was mostly a gift for me. Most of the game though, you were just in the unfortunate position of being Italy.
Turkey- When I stabbed France, I think you should have said whatever needed to be said to get Austria’s help. I get that you didn’t want to turn on Italy, but you could have put a friendly face to Austria, convinced him to attack Berlin, then stabbed him.
Austria- You seem to have a talent for polarizing people. Last game I downright hated you, but for me that's all in the past now.
Stalwart Higgins

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1075)
All-game rating: (1092)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 23 Apr 2018, 20:27

Marking.

This AAR looks especially interesting. ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby todiefor » 23 Apr 2018, 21:02

It was an enjoyable games but at the same time it had one of the poorest ending I have encountered
I have said before I don't do blow by blow accounts but at the beginning of this one in spring 01 I had England in the Channel, Germany in Burgundy , Italy in Piedmont and I was looking at my quickest exit ever I took chances and got two gains in the fall which was very pleasing .At one stage I got to 6 centres but it didn't last long
I was never going to do very well but had hoped to be involved in any draw should it come about
I never got on with England who didn't really make much effort to communicate when he did withdraw I had the satisfaction of stabbing him and ending his chances in the game
Germany at least did more talking and sat in Burgundy for quite a while before I managed to remove him but he was soon back and thanks to Italy stayed there
Italy was an odd one Just when I thought we were going to get on and do well he would take a centre off me it was all a bit random with little thought it seemed to me . Even at the end when it seem we I/F together with Turkey looked like being able to stop a German win he decided it would be a good idea to take two of my centres and hand the win to Germany again little thought no reason
Austria immediately said lets help Germany Solo a better result for us than elimination and I thought he might be right so went along with it telling Germany he could order my two remaining units
However in the last season I thought if we 4 F/I/T A joined forces then preventing a German solo was possible I still believe that was so
Trouble was the attitude of the others meant their inability to put past events behind them saw them squabbling over who lied or didn't do as they were supposed to .
Breaking news this game is all about sometimes lying,sometimes stabbing and sometimes doing what you agreed to
Ultimately it's a game and meant to be enjoyed some of you would do well to remember that, don't hold grudges
I commented about Italy but would still have been happy to join him to achieve a draw
Anyway I wish you all good luck in the future and my congratulation to Germany on the solo
todiefor
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1035
All-game rating: 1041
Timezone: GMT

Postby hedge trimmer » 24 Apr 2018, 20:05

Let me start off by saying that I definitely couldn't have forced Germany's solo without help from everyone else, so thank you for the help. I hope Turkey and Italy will write something too, as their point of view should be represented too.

6 out of my 13 games so far have been as Austria, and so far they've went pretty well. I have played in more or less successful Turkish alliances as well (as both A and T), but overall I don't really like A/T as Austria though, since you always have to be constantly begging Turkey to not to stab you. This has now been true for all three times I've tried to ally with Turkey... Or so I feel, as this time I decided to stab Turkey when it seemed to turn into that again. I usually try to set up a CT too, but... that hasn't really worked out so far.

So my potential friends in this game were:
-Italy, who was acting sketchy and unresponsive, unwilling to agree to any DMZs while trying to convince me to leave Trieste open. You know, classic Italian shenanigans.
-Turkey, who started off by asking (some could say "demanding") that I should let him have Greece, and when I didn't immediately agree to that he started acting more and more hostile, accusing me of talking with Italy and Germany behind his back.
-Russia, who was playing gunboat.

Oh boy. In a way Russia not talking probably saved(?) my game, as otherwise I think that my neighbors would've loved nothing more than to attack me in 1901. So thanks to Russia I was also able to patch things up with Turkey. Still, I have to say that Turkey's opening negotiations did cause me to be very careful of him.

1901-1903, Paranoia all around
To my surprise we actually manage to destroy Russia, and pretty quickly at that as well. However, in 1903 Turkey started to act paranoid again while his plans left all my centers open. He made such a big deal about me being able to stab him for a single center, even though he was able to stab me for two or three (in Spring 1903 you can see him trying to move to attack Greece... I mean, to make sure that I wouldn't stab him... of course without telling me first)... which I then actually did, after all that nonsense.

I probably should write more about these early years, but I feel whatever I write will be extremely controversial. I didn't want to deal with Turkey breathing down my neck if he was acting like that though, and spending the rest of the game trying to convince Turkey not to stab me every turn would become very tiring.

Disclaimer: I think Turkey will have a different view of things, so hopefully he'll write something too.

1904, Negotiations
Fall 1904 moves.

Italy turned out to be treacherous, so I was suddenly without any allies. At least Germany seemed friendly enough, even though I had almost stabbed him twice.

Italy was outright ignoring me for almost the rest of the game, and while Turkey responded to my attempt at rebuilding our alliance, the negotiations ended rather quickly. I'll write a little bit more about this since it seems to have been the main reason we couldn't agree to do anything in 1909.

Turkey was asking three things:
1. Me cutting Albanian support so I we can get Turkey into the Ionian
2. Me moving to Berlin this turn (F04)
3. Me ceding him Sevastopol next year.

My response:
========From AUSTRIA Fall 1904 Orders ======= wrote:Overall that's more than fair, but there's one thing: Attacking Berlin. I can't hold it even if I somehow got it, so I'd like you to explain why you want me to commit a futile attack against Germany while Italy is holding my home centers.

I'd rather take my chances by withdrawing from Sevastopol right away. That would at least get you a build, which we could then use to make sure that we can hold the Ionian.

I have to say that I'm rather paranoid, so the condition to cut support from Albania was a little bit suspicious too, as I thought it was just a way to let them attack Serbia without worrying that I was defending it. This is pure speculation though, but it's possible that Turkey knew about Italy moving Alb - Gre (shown in the map above), and that's why he wanted me to move Ser - Alb.

I'm getting sidetracked here though, the point was supposed to be that I thought I asked what I felt like was a reasonable question about attacking Berlin. Germany didn't need to be stopped right then and there, we had around... five years to do it, and I had more pressing issues with Italy sitting in Trieste. After I asked that, the whole conversation was forwarded to Germany, and that ended the negotiations. Or rather, the negotiations turned into us bickering about my stab, to which I responded with that infamous Axis & Allies quip.

1904-1908, Anschluss
I tried to get France and England allied too (this was in 1904), so they would keep Germany busy while I dealt with Turkey and Italy, but they were ignoring me too...

So with everyone except Germany ignoring me, the plan rather quickly turned from being allied to Germany to king making Germany. Germany had stabbed everyone else already, so even though he was acting friendly after I/T attacked me I expected him to stab me sooner rather than later too. That's why I thought I'd just go along with it.

I was trying to delay my doom as long as I could, while remaining in a position where you needed me to stop Germany. I did a small stab and grabbed Warsaw back too, but my armies were more useful compared to Germany getting four builds, so in a way I was doing him a favor :). Besides delaying the inevitable, I had hoped that stabbing Germany would get someone to make me an offer, but there was nothing.

Later on, Italy stabbed France for absolutely no reason, which improved my position quite a bit... It would be impossible to stop Germany without me. I did send a message to France asking him to help Germany, although I felt like that wasn't necessary. Germany would overrun the northern French centers, and there was nothing Italy could do to stop it.

During this time the only response I got from Italy was after he had stabbed France in 1908. He didn't sound too interested in actually stopping to attack me though, so it never went anywhere.

I admit that since Italy didn't respond to any of my messages I had started sending him messages that made fun of his moves in a passive-aggressive tone, and the message he responded to was one where asked him to attack Turkey which I knew would be a rather bad idea at this point since Germany was very close to a solo. I can't say it would've been any worse than stabbing France the previous turn though, so who knows... Anyway, he pointed out how stupid it would be too, while agreeing that Germany needed to be stopped, but he never bothered to respond to me when I told him that I would need help from him and Turkey to actually attack Germany.

1909, Germany having his armoured ducks in a row
After I had given up of ever getting messages from anyone besides Germany, France decided to set up an alliance to stop Germany's solo. To my surprise even Italy responded. However, when I asked what Turkey's thoughts were since he was silent, he responded with flames, and that ended that.

Well, what I can say? At least it didn't end in a 3 way draw (without me!), and I ended up with two dots. ;)
Silent and deadly Loud and annoying
hedge trimmer

Standard rating: 1353
All-game rating: 1376
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby hedge trimmer » 24 Apr 2018, 20:32

StalwartHiggins wrote:While it came with some bad blood, this game has a special place in my heart as my first solo; please forgive the forthcoming self-indulgence.

I came into this game seething from a horrible round one performance. I was stabbed and eliminated, and in my view short-changed by a completely uncooperative Turkey (cough, cough, Malachite). At the start of this game, I felt like playing a little more aggressively than usual. This probably should have backfired, but disharmony on the board, particularly between A/T, allowed me to capitalize on the opportunity.

I'm sure you could find 15 quotes saying how there's nothing wrong with winning like this, or even that it's the only way to even win a solo.

I wrote this in my notes after I noticed I had been helping you: "A solid communicator. I appreciated that he never seemed to make the game personal, even though I stabbed him and almost stabbed him a few times. Oddly enough I played the previous PDL game with him (I had no idea...), and I thought he played completely differently in this game. I wouldn't have expected him to open so aggressively since in the first game he played really defensively. I thought he communicated really well in that game too, even though I ended up allying with Austria in that game since it was safer."

StalwartHiggins wrote:Austria also suddenly grew quiet. Still, I thought (wishfully) the traditional wisdom that a war between Austria and Germany is bad for both would be enough temporary protection from an A/T. I saw Italy was going to take back Spain, so I decided to give Belgium back to France to maintain a balance of power, while surrounding Belgium with 3 of my own units. Unfortunately, Austria moved to Tyrolia and Silesia. By this point, due to his writing style I suspected Austria was Malachite, and here I was, leaving Berlin defenseless. Feeling like history was repeating itself, I got on my hands and knees begged for my life. That should have been the end of me.

The silence was for two reasons:
1) I wanted you to think I was going to attack you, so you would move back to defend yourself and ruin your tempo. I have no idea how you dared not to do that, but I thought it was very... brave.
2) I couldn't say too much about what my actual plans were. I think the main contenders were doing something about Turkey who started acting paranoid again, or attacking Italy.

StalwartHiggins wrote:This sent Turkey scrambling to the rest of the board for help against him. France, Italy and I all agreed that he threatened the balance of power. The plan was for Italy and Turkey to start the attack against Austria first, and I would open a northern front the following year. At first, this seemed like a decent plan, but I also noticed that France was looking weak. After France decided to convoy his army out of Belgium, that sealed the deal; time for Germany to take control. I told Austria there might be talks between I/T to stop his growth, but I didn’t try too hard to convince him.

Due to an NMR from England, I gained Norway and Edinburgh, as well as Belgium in spring 1904. Austria tried to attack me again, thinking Italy was on his side, but the coalition took him by surprise.

Wait a second... if you attacking me was the plan all along, then surely there was nothing wrong if my northern front happened to be left somewhat weaker than my southern one? :D

Trying to attack you the second time was the dumbest move I could've done though. The first attack was okay since it opened up options for me, but the second one was just me asking for trouble.

StalwartHiggins wrote:Then came some last minute drama. Turkey, admitting defeat, came to me and offered support to Sevastopol and Rumania, to eliminate Austria. I couldn’t have written a better script- get vengeance on Malachite, and win the game. I can sympathize with Turkey, but I don’t want to be a sore loser or accused of meta-gaming. I lied to Turkey and told him to attack Rumania, which I made sure would be defended. I’m sorry about that Turkey, if it’s any consolation, 100% of people that have been pissed off by Malachite in PDL have gone on to win solo victories.

I was surprised that I was allowed to hold on to my last two centers. You sent me your orders, and I noticed that the order for Galicia supporting Rumania was the last one inputted... which I assumed was because you changed it from attacking Rumania to defending it. It would've been just as easy to change it back after convincing me to let you win. I didn't want to make a big deal out of that, so I instead just asked you that you wouldn't move Mos - Sev.

StalwartHiggins wrote:Italy- I think stabbing Austria was the right call, since allying with Austria you would have been second fiddle. The stab against France was mostly a gift for me. Most of the game though, you were just in the unfortunate position of being Italy.

I don't know, it doesn't seem like the game ended in a very good way for him, so I kind of disagree with you here. Stabbing me was fine, but he should've negotiated a better deal once it became obvious that nothing good would come out of trying to eliminate me. He spent five years trying to hold on to Trieste. Stabbing France was all around just a terrible decision, but I'm pretty confident we... you, Germany, could've overpowered them even without the stab. It was still the final nail in the coffin.

Besides those, I definitely disagree with the defeatist attitude of "oh he was playing Italy so there was no way he could've succeeded", he could've had a chance of soloing if he had played his cards right. He was the second biggest power for most of the game, and I think him ending up playing second fiddle for you had nothing to do with him drawing Italy.

Austria- You seem to have a talent for polarizing people. Last game I downright hated you, but for me that's all in the past now.

It's always their fault that I have to make them angry though.

Joking aside... I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
Last edited by hedge trimmer on 25 Apr 2018, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
hedge trimmer

Postby hedge trimmer » 24 Apr 2018, 20:35

todiefor wrote:It was an enjoyable games but at the same time it had one of the poorest ending I have encountered
I have said before I don't do blow by blow accounts but at the beginning of this one in spring 01 I had England in the Channel, Germany in Burgundy , Italy in Piedmont and I was looking at my quickest exit ever I took chances and got two gains in the fall which was very pleasing .At one stage I got to 6 centres but it didn't last long
I was never going to do very well but had hoped to be involved in any draw should it come about
I never got on with England who didn't really make much effort to communicate when he did withdraw I had the satisfaction of stabbing him and ending his chances in the game
Germany at least did more talking and sat in Burgundy for quite a while before I managed to remove him but he was soon back and thanks to Italy stayed there
Italy was an odd one Just when I thought we were going to get on and do well he would take a centre off me it was all a bit random with little thought it seemed to me . Even at the end when it seem we I/F together with Turkey looked like being able to stop a German win he decided it would be a good idea to take two of my centres and hand the win to Germany again little thought no reason
Austria immediately said lets help Germany Solo a better result for us than elimination and I thought he might be right so went along with it telling Germany he could order my two remaining units
However in the last season I thought if we 4 F/I/T A joined forces then preventing a German solo was possible I still believe that was so
Trouble was the attitude of the others meant their inability to put past events behind them saw them squabbling over who lied or didn't do as they were supposed to .
Breaking news this game is all about sometimes lying,sometimes stabbing and sometimes doing what you agreed to
Ultimately it's a game and meant to be enjoyed some of you would do well to remember that, don't hold grudges
I commented about Italy but would still have been happy to join him to achieve a draw
Anyway I wish you all good luck in the future and my congratulation to Germany on the solo

I'm really surprised you would call it an enjoyable game when you were stabbed like ten times though!

I was really impressed by your 1901 reaction to the massive attack by all your neighbors, you took some risks and it paid off. I think Italy accused me of revealing their plan to you, but I had no idea what it even was.

I still have no idea why you and England couldn't ally against Germany.

I agree that it would've been rather easy to stop Germany's solo, but no one really wanted to do so... I admit that by 1909 I had given up on it too, so I was a little bit surprised when you tried to get an alliance going on. However, I can't say I'm surprised that it didn't work out, but it was definitely worth the try. I don't think I asked for too much though, but I don't like begging or pleading either.
hedge trimmer

Postby Stalwart Higgins » 25 Apr 2018, 06:49

Malachite wrote:
StalwartHiggins wrote:Austria also suddenly grew quiet. Still, I thought (wishfully) the traditional wisdom that a war between Austria and Germany is bad for both would be enough temporary protection from an A/T. I saw Italy was going to take back Spain, so I decided to give Belgium back to France to maintain a balance of power, while surrounding Belgium with 3 of my own units. Unfortunately, Austria moved to Tyrolia and Silesia. By this point, due to his writing style I suspected Austria was Malachite, and here I was, leaving Berlin defenseless. Feeling like history was repeating itself, I got on my hands and knees begged for my life. That should have been the end of me.

The silence was for two reasons:
1) I wanted you to think I was going to attack you, so you would move back to defend yourself and ruin your tempo. I have no idea how you dared not to do that, but I thought it was very... brave.

Aw stop it, I'm blushing. I thought maintaining tempo was more important than defending. In the worst case scenario of an A/T at my back, I needed to keep England under the knife and maintain my alliance with France, otherwise an E/F/A against me would have had an easier time developing.

Malachite wrote:
StalwartHiggins wrote:This sent Turkey scrambling to the rest of the board for help against him. France, Italy and I all agreed that he threatened the balance of power. The plan was for Italy and Turkey to start the attack against Austria first, and I would open a northern front the following year. At first, this seemed like a decent plan, but I also noticed that France was looking weak. After France decided to convoy his army out of Belgium, that sealed the deal; time for Germany to take control. I told Austria there might be talks between I/T to stop his growth, but I didn’t try too hard to convince him.

Due to an NMR from England, I gained Norway and Edinburgh, as well as Belgium in spring 1904. Austria tried to attack me again, thinking Italy was on his side, but the coalition took him by surprise.

Wait a second... if you attacking me was the plan all along, then surely there was nothing wrong if my northern front happened to be left somewhat weaker than my southern one? :D

Well, that was the plan the coalition agreed on. I wasn't 100% committed to it, and in case I did decide to stab France, I wasn't sure I wanted Austria at my back overpowering Turkey and Italy in a race to the end. Although I did say an Anti-A/G coalition "might be" forming.

Malachite wrote:
StalwartHiggins wrote:Then came some last minute drama. Turkey, admitting defeat, came to me and offered support to Sevastopol and Rumania, to eliminate Austria. I couldn’t have written a better script- get vengeance on Malachite, and win the game. I can sympathize with Turkey, but I don’t want to be a sore loser or accused of meta-gaming. I lied to Turkey and told him to attack Rumania, which I made sure would be defended. I’m sorry about that Turkey, if it’s any consolation, 100% of people that have been pissed off by Malachite in PDL have gone on to win solo victories.

I was surprised that I was allowed to hold on to my last two centers. You sent me your orders, and I noticed that the order for Galicia supporting Rumania was the last one inputted... which I assumed was because you changed it from attacking Rumania to defending it. It would've been just as easy to change it back after convincing me to let you win. I didn't want to make a big deal out of that, so I instead just asked you that you wouldn't move Mos - Sev.

I was afraid you would notice that! Leaving out Galicia was a simple mistake on my part.

Malachite wrote:

It's always their fault that I have to make them angry though.

Joking aside... I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Here's my two cents; it's not so much what you say, but that you're annoyingly persistent with people that just don't want to work with you. In our first PDL game, there was no way in hell I was agreeing to a R/A/T. But season after season, I keep getting R/A/T-related messages, even after I've tried to stab you back several times, and filling up literally every open space around the Black Sea for a colossal bounce starts sounding like an almost reasonable way to prevent conflict. Then, you kept bickering with Turkey even after he shared his press, leading to the infamous Axis and Allies comment. Maybe if the discussion had stopped before that, Turkey might have cooled off by 1909, just in time to stop the solo.
Stalwart Higgins

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1075)
All-game rating: (1092)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby hedge trimmer » 25 Apr 2018, 09:45

StalwartHiggins wrote:Here's my two cents; it's not so much what you say, but that you're annoyingly persistent with people that just don't want to work with you. In our first PDL game, there was no way in hell I was agreeing to a R/A/T. But season after season, I keep getting R/A/T-related messages, even after I've tried to stab you back several times, and filling up literally every open space around the Black Sea for a colossal bounce starts sounding like an almost reasonable way to prevent conflict. Then, you kept bickering with Turkey even after he shared his press, leading to the infamous Axis and Allies comment. Maybe if the discussion had stopped before that, Turkey might have cooled off by 1909, just in time to stop the solo.

Hmm, I see.

Maybe some introspection is necessary.
hedge trimmer

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 25 Apr 2018, 12:15

Malachite wrote:
StalwartHiggins wrote:Here's my two cents; it's not so much what you say, but that you're annoyingly persistent with people that just don't want to work with you. In our first PDL game, there was no way in hell I was agreeing to a R/A/T. But season after season, I keep getting R/A/T-related messages, even after I've tried to stab you back several times, and filling up literally every open space around the Black Sea for a colossal bounce starts sounding like an almost reasonable way to prevent conflict. Then, you kept bickering with Turkey even after he shared his press, leading to the infamous Axis and Allies comment. Maybe if the discussion had stopped before that, Turkey might have cooled off by 1909, just in time to stop the solo.

Hmm, I see.

Maybe some introspection is necessary.

Not that I'm part of this game...or really have any business commenting, I'm going to comment anyway. :P

That's what I liked about you must, Malachite... I've only played with you once, but you kept me guessing the whole game. And if your constant communication with me was any indication of what your comms were with others... I had reason to be worried. ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148
Timezone: GMT-5

Next