PDL 1. Round 2 Game 2. AAR

After game reports for PlaDip Diplomacy League games

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 1. Round 2 Game 2. AAR

Postby mjparrett » 12 Apr 2018, 13:24

Oh sorry - the scoring system. Well as we see time and time again in the suggestion thread no-one can agree! But happy to tweak for season 2 if people think it would help people be more inclined to "go for it" a little more. But we need something everyone agrees on (or at least the majority) otherwise we stick with what we have. GPD, I hope this doesn't put you off and you continue to participate and join in next year etc. Please post in the suggestions anything you think would make the league a happier place for you.

M
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1436
All-game rating: 1474
Timezone: GMT

Postby jimbobicus » 12 Apr 2018, 16:19

Mike: Yes, you chickened out - but then so did France. I'd like to think that if I was either France or Germany in that position, I'd be going for a 2 way, with solo chances. Although the key here is that both players have to be willing to take a risk of the other soloing - otherwise the 3rd player can normally get a draw. Also, I don't think prospects of getting a 4 or 5 way draw should have been too much of a concern. You and France are over any stalemate line and if even you and France lost faith in each other towards the end, you should be able to whittle it down to a 3 way FGA or possibly FGT if Turkey played well. Also, I'm surprised that Turkey accepted the draw. I'd have thought he had incentive to play on. Theoretically, with anonymous draw votes, a draw should only be agreed when we have a genuine stalemate. The rest of the time it has to be in at least one player's interests to keep playing.

(I know I haven't exactly practiced what I preach here. You could apply this logic to me accepting the 3 way draw proposal in our round 1 game. Although in that game, there was also the motivator of just wanting the game over. Round 2 had already started, the other games had already finished. Additionally me, you and greggybear had driven each other mad for so long - so out of compassion as much as anything I accepted the 3 way. Besides a 2 way agreement with greggybear would have been very hard to get given the way he was playing.)

As for points system. What you've designed should be good for motivating players to gamble for solos and 2 ways instead of 3 ways when you look at points for solo, 2 way and 3 way. But as I say, I think it might be the fact that if someone solos everyone else gets nothing - same as being eliminated. So that's where giving points for SCs could really help. I think it's a psychological thing for a lot of players, not wanting to get 0 from a game.
"A friend to all is a friend to none" - Aristotle
jimbobicus

Standard rating: (1742)
All-game rating: (1662)

Postby Strategus » 12 Apr 2018, 19:49

I think people are too shit scared of losing ranking points. Maybe this league should be unranked.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1589

Postby boldblade » 12 Apr 2018, 19:52

GPD wrote:I think people are too shit scared of losing ranking points. Maybe this league should be unranked.

I hope that's not it. I only would have lost 12 points in my game if I hadn't been a replacement. I can't imagine the point swings would be that much bigger for most people and if that is enough to deter better gameplay it is quite sad. I would much prefer for the potential upside of these games to my ranking and would not appreciate playing an unranked game quite as much.
boldblade

Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)

Postby Iggy » 12 Apr 2018, 19:58

GPD wrote:I think people are too shit scared of losing ranking points. Maybe this league should be unranked.

I would think losing out on league points would be a much bigger factor.
Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Strategus » 12 Apr 2018, 20:02

Iggy wrote:

I would think losing out on league points would be a much bigger factor.

But the incentive is there to go for it, so it must be something else. Imo.

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus
Premium Member

Postby boldblade » 12 Apr 2018, 20:09

Maybe it is the number of relegations/promotions that is the problem and not the scoring. Getting some points instead of risking zero points to keep out of the bottom seven could be the primary reason for the risk aversion we are witnessing. Maybe dropping down to 2-4 relegations/promotions would be better. That could probably help people from worrying too much bottom seven and take more risks. Further, it would encourage some more aggressive play from those with the ambition to set themselves apart for promotion. 4 three-way draws probably won't cut it to get into the top 2-4 unless you did great in the tiebreakers.
boldblade

Postby Strategus » 12 Apr 2018, 20:15

boldblade wrote:Maybe it is the number of relegations/promotions that is the problem and not the scoring. Getting some points instead of risking zero points to keep out of the bottom seven could be the primary reason for the risk aversion we are witnessing. Maybe dropping down to 2-4 relegations/promotions would be better. That could probably help people from worrying too much bottom seven and take more risks. Further, it would encourage some more aggressive play from those with the ambition to set themselves apart for promotion. 4 three-way draws probably won't cut it to get into the top 2-4 unless you did great in the tiebreakers.
I am looking forward to getting relegated. I might do better.

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus
Premium Member

Postby Nanook » 12 Apr 2018, 20:17

Personally, I think there are two answers...move to norank games with carnage scoring and call it a day (won't happen, too many people want the games ranked)...or switch to a two league format with 28 in each league, with the bottom 7 of league 1 and the top 7 of league 2 swapping places at the end of every season. That would give a healthy stable of reserves too, for the inevitable dropouts from time to time. I doubt that idea will catch on much either.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby boldblade » 12 Apr 2018, 20:18

GPD wrote:I am looking forward to getting relegated. I might do better.

Lol I think you will find the same annoying stuff until you move to the bottom league where things other than three-way draws happen.
boldblade

PreviousNext

Return to PDL AARs