Postby mjparrett » 11 Apr 2018, 21:45

England (GPD)
France (bindlestiff) 3 WAY DRAW
Italy (HonestAbe)
Germany (mjparrett) 3 WAY DRAW
Austria (machor) 3 WAY DRAW
Turkey (bdferris1)
Russia (rd45)

Congratulations to all involved (stop it). Please post your AAR here.
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1436
All-game rating: 1474
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL 1. Round 2 Game 2. AAR

Postby Strategus » 11 Apr 2018, 21:53

Congratulations on your three way not-win.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1589

Postby mjparrett » 11 Apr 2018, 21:56

I might come back with something a bit more in depth later, but some general thoughts from me.

First of all, after the thread of repeat countries, I got Germany again. And I don't like Germany. Think Austria was a repeat too.

I didn't overly enjoy the game sadly. In a way I'm a little annoyed I accepted the draw - if it hadn't gone through I was going to stab Austria next turn (not sure if France meant it when he said he would join me). The board never FULLY opened up that I could stab for a few centres which always held me back; it would have to have been more of an obvious attack and overwhelm strategy. And I know this will get moans from others about the nature of draws, but I thought the most likely scenario if I attacked Austria was a 4 way draw and not a 3 (as he would have sided with Turkey and stopped us). Fairly unambitious I know, and as I mention I regret that. I need to take more risks in this game as general, and see that as my main area of weak play.

Onto the game. Germany again. Grrrr. Sea Lion was agreed. Good. I don't want England growing behind me so lets take him out. England at first was a slightly better communicator than France so I mulled over switching. But France was good as well and I couldn't resist the easy attack England ploy. 11th hour Russia called it off. No worries, he did the decent thing and was honest about it. I made a snap decision to then break my deal and invade Burgundy! France not happy.

As the first couple of turns ticked away, I started to get the feeling Russia was playing me, and England also to an extent. I had already retreated from France and tried to make up for my early blunder when he stabbed me in return. It was at this stage France and I formed a great alliance/friendship. We both realised we would be better off working together as we trusted each other more than we trusted England. I also realised I could make some good gains in Russia and didn't overly trust him.

Then the sad thing for me happened. Russia basically told me he thought the game was crap and he was going to gunboat it. England got pissed at my stab and stopped replying to me and tried to just screw me over however he could. Not sure if that was a "tactic" but it didn't come across well. Had he carried on talking I might have kept him alive and then used him for a stab on France and a solo push. As it was he stopped talking so France and I took him out (and this also meant France was strong and I didn't have any good obvious stab options in the west).

At this point it became obvious that Austria was a good ally for us and a F/G/A 3 way alliance would work. We communicated pretty well from then on and helped each other where needed. In many ways it WAS a premature end the draw was hastily done. Me being a slight Care Bear when I feel I have a solid alliance going and no easy solo was always going to push it that way for me.

I really hope England and Russia post and explain what annoyed them so much (stabbing and lies are part of the game after all). They are both also obviously very competent players and I hope their participation continues. But we shall see.

Thanks all. Apologies for being a wimp and not stabbing someone!

M
mjparrett

Postby boldblade » 11 Apr 2018, 22:05

GPD wrote:Congratulations on your three way not-win.

Amen. Tell em.
boldblade

Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)

Postby mjparrett » 11 Apr 2018, 22:14

boldblade wrote:

Amen. Tell em.

And congratulations GPD on your loss ;)

As I mention above, I regret slightly not going for it more. And I don't pretend a 3 way draw is a win. It isn't. But it IS better than being eliminated!
mjparrett

Postby Strategus » 11 Apr 2018, 22:16

mjparrett wrote:
boldblade wrote:

Amen. Tell em.

And congratulations GPD on your loss ;)

As I mention above, I regret slightly not going for it more. And I don't pretend a 3 way draw is a win. It isn't. But it IS better than being eliminated!

This league is just becoming a three way-fest. I hate this. It was supposed to promote people going for solos. My only question is: What's the point?
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1589

Postby mjparrett » 11 Apr 2018, 22:29

Hi GPD

I can honestly say the league wasn't designed to promote solos.

First and foremost, and jokes aside, I do agree that too many 3 ways is dull, and I did not "win" that game. But you play for the best possible result and I don't really know where I could stab for something better. I wasn't poised by Austrian or French centres and could just stab in a fall for a +2 and screw them over. I stabbed both you and Russia so obviously have some ambition! But the 3 of us talked well throughout our alliance to make sure the stab wasn't really on. If Austria had just been a but further pushed into Turkey I probably (hopefully) would have gone for it. Not my best play and I'm not pretending otherwise. But I still did ok in the game.

But to answer your question, I created the league to play people of a similar-ish ability to myself. I don't regard myself as a top player or knowing everything. My diplomacy is pretty good - I generally get on with people and seem to not often be eliminated in 1901. My tactics are ok and improving but could be better. But my killer instinct and getting into position to solo games is poor. I have a few solos to my name so I will try, but usually only when I rate my chances as being pretty high. If I have a c30% solo chance I sometimes wimp out. A failing but there you have it.

BUT I wanted to test myself against yourself and other good players. Was I only getting a lot of draws/the odd solo because I was against weaker opposition? How would I fare when (rating wise) I am one of the weaker on the board? Well, 2 draws so far so obviously ok! Am I great at this game now; obviously still not. But I do think I have learnt from playing the likes of yourself (Greggy and JimB in the first game both taught me things as well), and that is the point for me,
mjparrett

Postby boldblade » 11 Apr 2018, 22:33

GPD wrote:This league is just becoming a three way-fest. I hate this. It was supposed to promote people going for solos. My only question is: What's the point?

I've only been in the league for half of this round but in reviewing AARs and playing my one-half game I am disappointed by this aspect. However, in the league's defense, Despite my frustrations with the conclusion I certainly enjoyed the gameplay more than I enjoy the random matches that I get into. Hopefully, a scoring tweak will be made to encourage better play from participants or we will see some guys step up in the games and really go for it.
boldblade

Postby mjparrett » 11 Apr 2018, 22:45

Look, I promise I will solo my 3rd game in the league ok?!
mjparrett

Postby boldblade » 11 Apr 2018, 23:09

Good luck.
boldblade