PDL 2. Round 2 Game 1. AAR

After game reports for PlaDip Diplomacy League games

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 2. Round 2 Game 1. AAR

Postby mhsmith0 » 11 Apr 2018, 22:37

I might be biased because I got along reasonably well with him while chatting during the game, but of the four non FIR powers, I look at Germany as being the LEAST responsible for the eventual outcome, diplomatically at least (some of the tactics i think needed some work tho)

(I'll also note that for Turkey as a power, it was much more that Turkey #2 inherited basically a lost position... but Turkey #1 had a poor game IMO, with substantial issues surrounding 1902 play as well as being unable to avoid a 1901 that went overall quite poorly (A/R friendly, Italy in Lepanto mode)
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby boldblade » 11 Apr 2018, 23:07

My first reaction when I saw your post was an eye roll because I really want you to answer to Iggy about what was going on in your head about the end of the game.

However, your perspective on 1902-1903 is pretty interesting. Turkey 1 made what to me is an obvious mistake in trying to attack Russia when there is a clearly anti-Turkey Italy on the board. I would have been pushing hard for Jugg (which is basically the angle I went once I joined). If Austria had been willing to commit early to anti-Italy movements (like stopping Greece) then A/T should have been on the table but going after Russia as A/T to start should have been seen as an obvious set-up.

The Germany/Austria war was just bizarre in every way. I can't figure out why these guys would not have had a better relationship. Obviously, the diplomacy between them was disastrous and Idk who is to blame for that.
boldblade

Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)
Timezone: GMT

Postby mhsmith0 » 11 Apr 2018, 23:12

boldblade wrote:...
The Germany/Austria war was just bizarre in every way. I can't figure out why these guys would not have had a better relationship. Obviously, the diplomacy between them was disastrous and Idk who is to blame for that.

I mean, I'd like to take some of the credit for that :P
idk how much France was working on Austria on the flip side of it
But "divide and conquer" was something that worked out fairly well imo (again, idk how much france was really working austria, but he explicitly asked me why I was helping germany [notably, why i didn't take denmark with my fleet in spring 1903] and I basically told him I was the "helping Germany" side of the A/G war, and I think my efforts there had a lot to do with the game state being as smooth as it went for F/R, though again, that's probbaly a better question for A/G than for myself). I certainly made sure Austria knew Berlin was undefended, but that was obvious enough and I dont' think my note there really mattered lol
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby boldblade » 11 Apr 2018, 23:28

I'm sure you would like some credit and probably deserve it. But honestly, I'm not sure what is worse: allowing yourselves to be manipulated into a bad war or legitimately having so much trouble working together that they couldn't shrug off their differences instead of making themselves easy targets for surrounding threats.
boldblade

Postby Frenchie07001 » 12 Apr 2018, 00:53

I tried to discuss swapping peace in Berlin for peace in Vienna. Again Germany didn’t seem interested, just said he couldn’t trust I wouldn’t go there and that was that. Germany sent me on my downfall and also gifted the game to the winners by not communicating nor budging on his agressive stance towards me, despite me having done nothing to warrant it. My move towards Berlin was a response to his push on Vienna.
Gold Classicist
Frenchie07001
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1090
All-game rating: 1063

Postby Iggy » 12 Apr 2018, 18:50

We're still waiting... :mrgreen:
Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby boldblade » 12 Apr 2018, 19:54

While we are waiting, does anyone know when the next round starts? I can't find it anywhere.
boldblade

Postby Iggy » 12 Apr 2018, 19:55

boldblade wrote:While we are waiting, does anyone know when the next round starts? I can't find it anywhere.

may-ish.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » 12 Apr 2018, 19:57

Iggy wrote:
boldblade wrote:While we are waiting, does anyone know when the next round starts? I can't find it anywhere.

may-ish.

from the rules thread - I had just looked this up earlier this week:

Games will be password protected and players will be PM'd details of each game as and when it starts. Games will (roughly) start on 1 Jan/Mar/May/Jul each year. No cut-off point for scoring is in place - a game lasts as long as it lasts.
Iggy

Postby boldblade » 12 Apr 2018, 20:03

Hmmm, I knew I saw that line somewhere but couldn't remember the months. But I could not find it when I looked through the rules thread. I guess I was skimming too much.

Thanks!
boldblade

PreviousNext

Return to PDL AARs