And another one's gone, and another one's gone.... Another one bites the dust

England (bdferris1) 4 WAY DRAW
France (WarSmith) 4 WAY DRAW
Italy (FloridaMan)
Germany (Charleroi)
Austria (machor)
Turkey (Pootleflump) 4 WAY DRAW
Russia (Verse9) 4 WAY DRAW

Congratulations on all involved. No NMRs or surrenders, and well played to those who shared in the victory draw...

There were some big hitters in this game in terms of ratings (as you'd expect from the top league I guess), so I will be very interested to read the AAR.

League table has been updated. Enjoy!
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1459
All-game rating: 1505
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL 1. Round 1 Game 1. AAR

Postby Pootleflump » 07 Mar 2018, 13:33

Mike.....

They held me down, tied me up, threatened me with tasers and hot irons, started to carve bits off me unless I accepted the 4WD...... England called me (wait for it)... A FISH. Such an insult.

:^P

Pootle is kind
Pootle is good
Forcing a 4WD
Was just jolly rude

Fun game with an awesome bunch of guys. So good to play with players of this calibre and to feel that mibbes you held your own in such esteemed company. Thanks to everyone.

I threw a shouty wobbly wobbler at the end. Not proud of that. I really wasn't ready for it to end. Russia you beast.

FloridaMan, the game-long thorn in my side, lol. You had my face pinned to your dart board since S1901.

Never written an AAR before, but I'll try when I get a mo. Y'all might need to keep me right.

As ever, a huge well done to Mike. He knows he's awesome. So awesome, he could almost be proper Glaswegian.
She wanted... Secrets whispered at midnight, Road trips without a map...
Pootleflump

Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878

Postby mhsmith0 » 07 Mar 2018, 16:53

This story sounds fishy to me :lol:
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Verse9 » 07 Mar 2018, 18:45

Definitely a fun game...

I started with a brilliant plan. I'd secure the north by taking Sweden and building St. Petersburg while my new best friend Turkey and I subdued Austria. Italy was hell bent that we should attack Turkey and then split Austria between us but I preferred the other way around. We never did manage to agree.

Well, as Mike Tyson says, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

Got my nose tapped by Germany in 1901 and was denied Sweden. Mostly I just found this irritating since the bulk of my glory was to be won in the south. I was counting the Austrian centers I was going to gain and thinking about what I would build with them. How would I best use them to take advantage of Turkey? What leverage would they give me over Italy?

..and then I got punched in the mouth! My new best friend Turkey stabbed me. Sided with Austria! My glorious future crumbled before my eyes. Not only was I not on my way to becoming the dominant power I was likely on my way to becoming the first to exit. Yikes!

Italy was somewhat consoling and suggested plans to recover. The problem was that the plans included Austria who I knew wasn't going to side with us. Just made no sense that he would. I told Italy, but he didn't believe me. There really was no point in Italy and I working together since we really couldn't help each other. Our relationship pretty much spiraled into the abyss from there. As expected Austria sided with Turkey.

At this point I figured I better focus on just surviving and being useful to someone or several someones. I pitched England on the idea that my centers were more useful to him as a containment of Turkey than as English builds and he agreed. It was a true argument so it was easy to be sincere.

My next stop was convincing Turkey she should stab Austria 'cause I was largely harmless and would be a very obedient serf. She was hesitant, not really believing that I could forgive the initial stab. From my point it was a easy stab to forgive - her stab made sense. It is the illogical, poorly executed, or carelessly timed stabs that infuriate me. Hers was logical and well done - get over it and move on I told myself.

For the next several years of the game I hurled myself pointlessly at England's Scandinavian possessions, taunting him at every opportunity, trying to draw his units in. With France, England, and Italy lining up against my patroness and I my biggest concern was that England would solo which would crush my new dream of being the balancing power in a three way draw.

In the fall of 1907 England had positioned his forces and St. Petersburg was about to fall. And behold! A miracle!

France stabbed England and Italy! I had heard rumblings that a stab was coming but dismissed them as hopeful rumours. Turns out Turkey was right and I was wrong. It wouldn't have changed my game or any of my moves up to that point, but now I had a new problem. A Turkish solo became a very real possibility since France would need to let Turkish fleets traverse the whole of the Mediterranean. No respectable diplomacy player could be put in that position and not make the solo try. I had a lot of respect Turkey.

I immediately starting pleading with England to pull his forces away from St. Petersburg to stop the solo. It worked! At the same time I was discussing with Turkey what we thought England would do. Although I'm not sure what she was thinking at that point I was very hopeful that she would not destroy me. To my advantage I think had she stabbed me then France would have quickly readjusted his choices and Turkey would be looking at a very unified opposition. For whatever reason Turkey accepted that the English moves did not make me a threat.

My opportunity to be newly independent came in 1908. France agreed that my forces should transit through his holding so we could face England together. I decided that I would not execute the second part of the transit arrangement which allowed my two builds. It was risky. I would build Warsaw & Moscow then take Sevastopol and Rumania. At the same time I expected I would lose Berlin, Munich, Vienna, and Budapest, but I would have defensible space and a chance to occupy the Turkish home centers.

The full fury of my patroness fell upon me. I tried to turn it aside by pointing out that I had stabbed France not her. That a three way draw, as we had discussed, was doable. In my heart I knew that she had been counting on a solo and I understood her frustration. Someone proposed a 4-way draw. I didn't want a 4-way draw but figured my best chance of getting a 3-way or better draw was to accept and provide proof that I had accepted as a means of turning the others (particularly France) against Turkey. I didn't expect Turkey to accept the 4-way draw.

Sadly, I was wrong, again.

Russia

PS: the facts on the ground may not completely fit my recollection.
Verse9
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1288
All-game rating: 1307
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Charleroi » 07 Mar 2018, 22:50

This was not my finest match. To put it simply, things started poorly and went downhill from there.

In the opening communications, I attempted to persuade France to move on England with me. He refused to go along unless Russia joined in, which Russia refused to. I then settled into a wait-and-see approach. After the 1901 spring moves, I was perturbed to see France in Burgundy.
Fear of a Russo-French alliance and a desire to get English assistance against France led me to bounce Russia from Sweden. At that point I though I had persuaded England to work with me against France. Instead he and France invaded my western flank, destroying Holland and putting me straight on the path to destruction.

I just never got off the ground here. It was a immensely frustrating match.
Charleroi
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1561
All-game rating: 1664
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Verse9 » 10 Mar 2018, 14:31

I would have made myself much more swash buckling and handsome if I'd know none of the other suvivors would dispute my version. Heroic even. :D
Verse9
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1288
All-game rating: 1307

Postby Pootleflump » 10 Mar 2018, 15:59

You were absolutely heroic and swashbuckling.

Until you stabbed me at the end for a 4WD.

Then you became a cheesy cucumber.

Working on my AAR. It's coming.
Pootleflump

Postby FloridaMan » 10 Mar 2018, 18:40

Despite my status as a non-winner, I thought I'd get my version of events out there, so I can make sure people have the truth before everyone else distorts the facts with their versions :P

I hope people enjoy this... and let me know if they think I mis-remembered something or got something wrong. I'm really curious about what other people thought of this game, so I look forward to others' recollections.

Also, if anyone wants to tell me what makes Pootleflump's persuasion so magical... I'd be interested in learning the truth.

Check Out My Diplomacy YouTube Channel!
Or My Diplomacy Blog
Or Patreon

"Our blades are sharp."
~ Words of House Bolton, A Song of Ice and Fire

Tied for 10th Position in the 2020 Liberty Cup
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1671
All-game rating: 1683

Postby sinnybee » 11 Mar 2018, 03:35

Nice video, FloridaMan :)

Nice galloping across the board there, Pootle :)
Look at you go :) pushing through, units bouncing with your mighty G sized Diplomacy skills :roll:
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Pootleflump » 11 Mar 2018, 03:45

G-force experienced galloping on horseback across a diplomacy map.

One g is the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface and is the standard gravity, defined as9.80665 metres per second squared, or equivalently9.80665 newtons of force per kilogram of mass.

(winks at Sinnybee) ;)
Pootleflump

Next

Return to PDL AARs