After game reports for PlaDip Diplomacy League games

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 1. Round 1 Game 2. AAR

Postby Zosimus » 24 Feb 2018, 22:23

As I said in another thread, the first three steps of winning at Diplomacy are:

1. Have a workable plan.
2. Sell one or more allies on the plan.
3. Implement the plan.

Since Russia was the first to post, I'll simply comment on his play. As he has said, he had a plan: team up with Austria and kill Turkey. This is a workable plan. He also managed to convince Austria to go along with it.

Where his game fell down was in the implementation phase.

You see, Austria hates Turkey and would love to destroy him off the face of the Earth, but Austria can't get the job done. The way into Turkey is just too narrow for Austrian armies to get in. so Austria's options are three:

1. Team up with Turkey and try to stab him later.
2. Crush Turkey down to 3 and figure out how to deal with him later. OR
3. Get someone with fleets to help him out. These two someones are Italy or Russia.

So Russia should have realized that what he was bringing to the table was a way to gain control of the Black Sea thus permitting Austrian troops to infiltrate.

Russia starts by ceding the Black Sea to Turkey without a fight. Worse yet, he plugs up Sevastopol so that he cannot build a second fleet. Turkeys moves are those of an unsuspecting victim.

Turkey wises up really quickly and plugs the Armenian hole. Russia plays passively. Turkey will now be very difficult to eradicate.

Russia puts Austria into Bulgaria, but really that's the end of the attack. Russia will find it nearly impossible to penetrate Turkish defenses.

Spring 1903, Austria is awake enough to make the malicious support move from Bulgaria. Russia, had he also been awake, should have had a shot at the Black Sea at this point. However, Russia has abandoned his post because of some English problems. Austria must be seething at this point.

Russia finally gets into the Black Sea, though it costs Austria Bulgaria. No matter -- Austria will take Rumania.

And in Spring 1904, Russia's key fleet is toast. At this point, Austria should throw in with Turkey and stab Russia. What else can he do?

-----------------------------------
How could Russia have played better? Well, if you have a solid alliance with Austria, you won't need to bounce in Galicia. That means that you can afford to send a unit north. Open:

Spring 1901
F. Sevastopol - Black Sea (bounce)
Warsaw-Ukraine
Moscow-St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg-Gulf of Bothnia

Fall 1901
F. Sevastopol-Rumania
Ukraine S Sevastopol-Rumania
St. Petersburg-Finland
Gulf of Bothnia-Sweden (This will work if you have properly cozied up to Germany)

Build F Sevastopol
Build F. St Petersburg(nc)

And in the spring you can force open the Black Sea and take Norway by force.
Be more aggressive.
Zosimus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1632)
All-game rating: (1665)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Strategus » 24 Feb 2018, 22:56

I don't remember Zosimus playing in this game...
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1588
All-game rating: 1682
Timezone: GMT

Postby mhsmith0 » 25 Feb 2018, 03:53

GPD wrote:I don't remember Zosimus playing in this game...

Clearly a secret alt :shock:
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby StarkAdder » 25 Feb 2018, 04:01

I confess to making some bad moves and not using my fleet as well as I could have. But some of that was because of diplomatic promises, not tactics. And you left off the part where Turkey lost the game.

I also agree with rd45. This is a game, and nobody ends up scarred IRL. No need to get vulgar with people at the end, even if you do not like the results.
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1310
All-game rating: 1071

Postby Strategus » 25 Feb 2018, 09:46

StarkAdder wrote:I confess to making some bad moves and not using my fleet as well as I could have. But some of that was because of diplomatic promises, not tactics. And you left off the part where Turkey lost the game.

I also agree with rd45. This is a game, and nobody ends up scarred IRL. No need to get vulgar with people at the end, even if you do not like the results.

What was vulgar?

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus

Postby champinoman » 25 Feb 2018, 10:00

As an outsider I'd really love to hear your impressions of the game GPD. You clearly have something you want to tell everyone.
champinoman

Standard rating: (1284)
All-game rating: (1297)
Timezone: GMT+11

Postby Strategus » 25 Feb 2018, 10:29

champinoman wrote:As an outsider I'd really love to hear your impressions of the game GPD. You clearly have something you want to tell everyone.

I'd like to hear what DirtyHarry (Germany) has to say about it first. And I am intrigued by the "shenanigans" and how they would "embarras" V.

I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Strategus

Postby Big Gun » 25 Feb 2018, 12:20

GPD wrote:I don't remember Zosimus playing in this game...

A trumpet blower :roll:
Big Gun
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1492
All-game rating: 2176

Postby DirtyHarry » 25 Feb 2018, 16:59

Ugh. I think V feels really embarrassed by what happened, so out of respect for his POV, I'm going to gloss over this. I'll leave it up to him if he wants to add details. But the gist is that pre-1901, France was working very hard to create an anti-German sentiment among the other powers, and it back-fired. Big time. Both Italy and England were turned off by it, and were planning to attack him, so of course, what Germany wouldn't be all about joining in? Especially since I came into the game really wanting to build a German/English alliance.

So, I thought I'd found the perfect partner in England very early. As mentioned, there were very early plans to take out France, and England saying was all the right things. So here we are in S02:

So, with France in dire straights already, I made a deal with England that would be the beginning of an assault on Russia. Because of all the confusion in the southeast, Russia was somewhat vulnerable in the north. The deal was that I would support England into Sweden, in exchange for him letting me have Belgium. That would give me the ability to build another army to send east, in addition to the fleet I planned to build to send into the Baltic. So while taking Marseilles with Italy's help, I send an army to Silesia in anticipation of building a new army in Berlin on top. But the first signs of trouble appeared in the English/German alliance when England took my support into Sweden, but didn't follow through ceding Belgium to me. That all lead to this position after F02:

I've got to admit, I was pretty irritated with England, who was claiming to have simply mis-ordered. But in my short time on the site, it's been my observation that when ally only takes care of himself, and doesn't take care of you as well, that's not good. And he's probably not a true ally. And in S03, England makes his real intentions clear by taking Holland:

And for the life of me, I can't understand what England's thinking here. He's started off by attacking France. Then, he attacks Russia by taking my support into Sweden. Now, he's attacked me also, the one country who very much wanted alliance with him from the beginning. So obviously, I have to rethink my strategy entirely. And I make the pitch to France and Russia that hey, look, England's lied to, and attacked all three of us. Let's turn the tables on him. I really came clean to Russia and told him that my original game strategy had been to ally with England, so I was sorry for attacking him, and would you consider starting over? And luckily for me, he said yes.

And big kudos to France here. As discussed, he had dug a huge hole for himself diplomatically. But he kept fighting and kept communicating. So, it wasn't that hard to then become his ally at this juncture, even though I was sitting in Marseilles! Meanwhile, he's still fighting with Italy, and since I've decided I REALLY now need France against England, so I'll work with France and Austria against Italy. And that was no easy decision, because I very much liked the Italian throughout the game, and at this point in the game he was probably my #1 confidant.

Here's the position after F03:

That's all I have time for right now. More later. And I really want to hear from HonestAbe about what he was thinking early in the game!
Last edited by DirtyHarry on 25 Feb 2018, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1356
All-game rating: 1462

Postby rd45 » 25 Feb 2018, 18:06

DirtyHarry wrote:And I really want to hear from HonestAbe about what he was thinking early in the game!

Me too. England really flipped the whole game on its head in 1902-3. There must have been a reason?
rd45

Standard rating: 1302
All-game rating: 1329

PreviousNext

Return to PDL AARs