We have our first finished game!

England (Damon Huntingdon)
France (Uffington Horse)
Italy (duckling)
Germany (quarryman) 3 WAY DRAW
Austria (Astrup) 3 WAY DRAW
Turkey (The SHIV)
Russia (AleBelly) 3 WAY DRAW

A good effort, with no NMRs or surrenders. The PDL is up and running.

Please post your AAR here.
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1436
All-game rating: 1474
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL 2. Round 1 Game 3. AAR

Postby FloridaMan » 04 Feb 2018, 02:12

It goes without saying, those of us who have been watching are really looking forward to reading them! :)
Check Out My Diplomacy YouTube Channel!

"I've been looking forward to this."
~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
~ Words of House Bolton, A Song of Ice and Fire

Tied for 10th Position in the 2020 Liberty Cup
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1655
All-game rating: 1748
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby quarryman » 04 Feb 2018, 03:58

I'll start off by talking a little bit about the opening of the game as I saw it as the head of Germany.

As usual I began by messaging everyone but put more effort into the notes to England and France. I was actually thinking about trying to get a Western Triple going. Unfortunately E and F had already made other plans and it didn't seem as if I was going to be included except as possible fodder for their expansion. England informed me he had already had a discussion with France and they had agreed that E would get Belgium. That pretty much told me I was on the outside looking in. France, despite repeated messages to him, never replied until just before our first moves were to be made. His short message said he was moving to Burgundy and we could bump if I wanted. To me that sounded more like a message from England saying to leave Belgium alone. I figured I better start looking for allies in other places.

My Initial message to Austria which was the usual German request to be friends got me a very positive reply. Austria seemed to be interested in something stronger than just a friendship! I may have found an ally.

I then talked some more with Russia after our initial friendly greetings. By now I knew E and F were aligned against me so I figured I needed Russia on my side if I was going to survive the early years. I was willing to help him obtain Scandinavia if he would help me against England and he seemed agreeable to that plan. At this point I probably would have offered him Denmark also but luckily I didn't have to.

Meanwhile I was still talking to Austria and we both thought that Russia could be a good third party. Austria proposed a 3 way alliance with the proviso that an attack against one was an attack against the other also. I readily agreed and now I felt I could now confront the E/F alliance without worrying about my back. I also knew this was probably not a good sign for Turkey.

This 3 way alliance stayed intact throughout the game and I credit that to strong communication among the 3 of us and a willingness to help each other when needed.

More later
There's no right or wrong. There's only what is and what will be.
quarryman
Premium Member

Location: Somewhere on the path to knowledge and enlightenment
Standard rating: 1237
All-game rating: 1397
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 04 Feb 2018, 06:24

Marking.
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby AleBelly » 04 Feb 2018, 17:32

This was an example of a game where an unorthodox alliance worked well because of good communication. Virtually any alliance can work with trust and communication, IMO.

Opening

I began by messaging my neighbors. Germany was concerned about E/F and lack of communication from them. I hadn't heard from them either (I hadn't reached out to them yet), and so we were able to reach an agreement on Russia entering Sweden in exchange for putting pressure on England.

Austria and I also seemed on the same wavelength. We agreed to DMZ Galicia. I figured this was a good way to see if he was trustworthy or not. The idea of a A-G-R alliance is raised early by Austria, and at this stage I agree.

I'm still keeping my options open with Turkey (for the Jugg), and Italy is enlisted to help eliminate Turkey early. I plan to see how things go and choose a couple of partners after first moves. After those moves it was all guns on Turkey, which I favored anyway so I wouldn't have to constantly watch my southern flank (sorry SHIV).

Not much to say for the rest of the game. I continued to trust Austria and Germany, even surrendering SCs to each other to keep the balance. I do have to admit I reached out to Italy in 1902 or so to see about working against Austria (again, keeping options open in case the Archduke turned on me), but I never got a firm commitment and that sealed the deal for me. Italy was a good communicator, though. The opportunity to work together just never surfaced at the right time.

So, did I think about going for the solo near the end? Sort of. I didn't really see a workable option, and I'm pretty sure that even if I did they would have turned on me and carved me up for a 2-way. In this case I was happy to let the alliance play out and reward the open and honest communication throughout the game. We even managed to all get the same SC differential.

This was fun, ladies and gents. Now I just wait in anticipation for the next league game!
AleBelly

Standard rating: 1176
All-game rating: 1159

Postby jimbobicus » 04 Feb 2018, 18:17

That was quick! At that rate you could probably finish 4 games by the time I finish one!

Decent result for the 3 way winners (or drawers) although I notice nobody really attempted a solo. Possible lack of ambition? Personally whenever I'm in a decent position I will at least give it a go ... maybe try to work with one of the other players towards a 2 way draw where both have solo chances. Maybe it will backfire and you end up with nothing. But the way I see it, a lottery where you have
1/3 chance of solo
1/3 chance of 2 way draw
1/3 chance of loss (partner solos)
is much better than settling for a 3 way draw.
"A friend to all is a friend to none" - Aristotle
jimbobicus

Standard rating: (1742)
All-game rating: (1662)

Postby quarryman » 04 Feb 2018, 20:14

It was all about Belgium. I might have been able to live with an English fleet parked in Belgium bit when he convoyed an army there I knew I had to act. England and I were still communicating although I don't think there was much trust left between us. I was just trying to gather info and he was trying to turn me against Russia. He professed that Russia was his number one enemy while I thought I was No.1 on his list. This is when I told my little white lie and told E that I could help him. I learned an early lesson in Diplomacy that there is a big difference between the word "could" And "would". There was no German aid coming for England and Russia and I continued our assault. England still tried to sway me but when I said it would cost him Belgium he replied NEVER and that was when our communication was disrupted.

I believe England's big mistake was moving to the Channel in order to get Belgium back. I don't think he informed France about the move ahead of time (at least that's what I was told). France was very upset and I was able to persuade him to join my cause. It was also helpful that Italy and France had become hostile against each other. I had earlier sent each of them messages trying to foment distrust among them. I agreed to help France regain Mars which further strengthened our bond but greatly angered Italy who felt betrayed by me. I had even received a message from Austria asking me to aid France because he thought Italy was growing to strong.

Russia and I had continued our attack on England and I now had to decide where and who to turn on next. France had become a good ally but both Russia and Austria had been there from the start. Both Turkey and Italy had warned me that I would be the next one in the sights of Russia once Turkey and England were whittled down and I considered siding with France and trying to persuade Austria to turn on Russia . In the end I didn't think Austria would flip and it would end up being a slug fest between F/G and A/R. That didn't look very promising to my continued existence. I did propose a 4 way draw among us even though I was fairly certain that would be rebuffed which it was by everyone including France. At this time Russia and Austria were suggesting that I turn on France as they were fearful the F was growing to strong. I was able to put that off for awhile as I told them I wanted to see Eng and Italy reduced in strength before I created another enemy.

I finally had to decide and I went with the alliance that was created from the start and had continued to strengthen. My stab on France was actually my hardest decision. He was understandably very upset, especially since it was merely a stab to gain 1 SC. I felt it was more than that though. I gained a build and France lost one of his home SCs. I also knew that both Brest and Mars would soon follow and France would be left with no place to build even if he did gain more SCs.

It was then only a matter of time as long as our alliance didn't fracture. I really didn't see any one of us gaining a position which gave us a reasonable chance at a solo. We were able to maintain a good SC balance and I think most of our messages involved all 3 of us. I did message Austria a few times in the beginning about Russian growth but my concerns lessened as the SC count balanced out.

One question I do have is why the remnants of France and Italy (and even England) didn't try to work together. They seemed to be fighting with each other until the bitter end.
There's no right or wrong. There's only what is and what will be.
quarryman
Premium Member

Location: Somewhere on the path to knowledge and enlightenment
Standard rating: 1237
All-game rating: 1397
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Astrup » 11 Apr 2018, 00:31

jimbobicus wrote:That was quick! At that rate you could probably finish 4 games by the time I finish one!

Decent result for the 3 way winners (or drawers) although I notice nobody really attempted a solo. Possible lack of ambition? Personally whenever I'm in a decent position I will at least give it a go ... maybe try to work with one of the other players towards a 2 way draw where both have solo chances. Maybe it will backfire and you end up with nothing. But the way I see it, a lottery where you have
1/3 chance of solo
1/3 chance of 2 way draw
1/3 chance of loss (partner solos)
is much better than settling for a 3 way draw.

Sorry for getting here this late, but I hadn't really figured out where the AARs were until now :D

To me, I was never really considering a solo, because our alliance worked very well. And I don't consider it lack of ambition. I genuinely enjoy a great alliance going all the way - I find that very satisfying. I don't really think I was ever in a really good position to do so as well, so...

But thank you guys for playing a great game.
Astrup

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1136)
All-game rating: (1145)
Timezone: GMT+1

Return to PDL AARs