2018 fixture list

Fixtures list

Moderator: mjparrett

2018 fixture list

Postby mjparrett » 22 Nov 2017, 00:51

The 2018 fixture list will be posted here when final numbers are confirmed and I know how many leagues/games are to be played. More to follow in 1st week of January.

In an ideal world we have a league of 21 players (well, 2 or 3 leagues of 21 but one step at a time...)

Players will be randomly allocated a number between 1-21 using really high tech software (random number generator in excel :( )

The fixtures will then be split into 4 groups of 3 games, starting (as previously mentioned) on or around 1 Jan/Mar/May/Jul. Fixtures will be as follows:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSC3r0WG4Es554fZAEAzhoEV77PirABzmk1HC6oUsN0ay1NOSGWUh09BwF76PSCOIyFHlQw8KpXUNyQ/pubhtml

As you can see not everyone plays every other player. Although you should play the majority (15/20). You should never play the same player more than twice. I *think* it is mathematically impossible to arrange it so that everyone does play everyone at least once, while still avoiding triple matches. If you solve this I am all ears!
mjparrett
 
Posts: 367
Joined: 01 Mar 2017, 20:05
Location: Scotland
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524
Timezone: GMT

Re: 2018 fixture list

Postby The SHIV » 22 Nov 2017, 00:53

Markin my turf.... ;)

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
User avatar
The SHIV
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3137
Joined: 24 Jan 2009, 20:29
Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1109
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 fixture list

Postby Parabellum » 22 Nov 2017, 01:07

The SHIV wrote:Markin my turf.... ;)

The SHIV


Aw H3!! no!

This is my turf!

I'm sure in my first league match I'll be France with a Shiv England who promises to dmz the Channel, then pummels me with mhsmith Germany. That's just how it's gonna be.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
User avatar
Parabellum
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: 25 May 2017, 18:46
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (969)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 fixture list

Postby mhsmith0 » 22 Nov 2017, 01:22

I for one approve of any alliances that don't end up boning me over :P

Who knows, maybe I'll somehow stumble into my second ever solo win somehow...
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
User avatar
mhsmith0
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3579
Joined: 11 Dec 2015, 06:55
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: 2018 fixture list

Postby Parabellum » 22 Nov 2017, 01:27

mhsmith0 wrote:I for one approve of any alliances that don't end up boning me over :P

Who knows, maybe I'll somehow stumble into my second ever solo win somehow...


I've got 1 solo under my belt! It was unrated, and the only reason it worked was that Turkey surrendered... but technically, it's valid, right?

But really. I know chess pretty well, and diplomacy barely at all. You guys play diplomacy like a game of chess. That's more impressive than chess, since it involves trust and communication, which chess does not. So I'm expecting to lose all my games... but at least I'll learn!
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
User avatar
Parabellum
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: 25 May 2017, 18:46
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (969)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 fixture list

Postby mhsmith0 » 22 Nov 2017, 01:56

Parabellum wrote:
mhsmith0 wrote:I for one approve of any alliances that don't end up boning me over :P

Who knows, maybe I'll somehow stumble into my second ever solo win somehow...


I've got 1 solo under my belt! It was unrated, and the only reason it worked was that Turkey surrendered... but technically, it's valid, right?

But really. I know chess pretty well, and diplomacy barely at all. You guys play diplomacy like a game of chess. That's more impressive than chess, since it involves trust and communication, which chess does not. So I'm expecting to lose all my games... but at least I'll learn!


You must be playing a lot of gunboat :P
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
User avatar
mhsmith0
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3579
Joined: 11 Dec 2015, 06:55
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: 2018 fixture list

Postby The SHIV » 22 Nov 2017, 12:29

That's funny Parabellum, as I was thinking the same thing only me as France!

Oh well, it'll be fun either way.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
User avatar
The SHIV
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3137
Joined: 24 Jan 2009, 20:29
Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1109
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 fixture list

Postby jimbobicus » 23 Nov 2017, 21:14

Parabellum wrote:But really. I know chess pretty well, and diplomacy barely at all. You guys play diplomacy like a game of chess. That's more impressive than chess, since it involves trust and communication, which chess does not. So I'm expecting to lose all my games... but at least I'll learn!

I play chess pretty decently too - for online, long deadlines, I'm ranked 1800 to 1850. I think a lot of the same thinking is transferable - where to develop your pieces, a little bit of tactics but there's more long term strategic planning required here.
But one crucial element over chess is you also require the soft skills of how to communicate with people.

I think to get up to an okay level, communication is most important - say 90% communication; 10% strategy. But as you try to climb from ok to good to very good etc, I think strategy becomes increasingly important. You could be the most charming person in the world and it will only get you so far unless you also have a good strategic understanding
"A friend to all is a friend to none" - Aristotle
jimbobicus
 
Posts: 575
Joined: 03 Apr 2009, 19:30
Location: Coventry, UK
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1742)
All-game rating: (1662)
Timezone: GMT

Re: 2018 fixture list

Postby ColonelApricot » 23 Nov 2017, 23:59

mjparrett wrote:The fixtures will then be split into 4 groups of 3 games, starting (as previously mentioned) on or around 1 Jan/Mar/May/Jul. Fixtures will be as follows:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSC3r0WG4Es554fZAEAzhoEV77PirABzmk1HC6oUsN0ay1NOSGWUh09BwF76PSCOIyFHlQw8KpXUNyQ/pubhtml

As you can see not everyone plays every other player. Although you should play the majority (15/20). You should never play the same player more than twice. I *think* it is mathematically impossible to arrange it so that everyone does play everyone at least once, while still avoiding triple matches. If you solve this I am all ears!

May I refer you to Bill Butler's solution for organising round robin events involving pairs.
http://www.durangobill.com/BridgeCyclicSolutions.html
He provides a solution to organising a round robin for a bridge tournament involving tables of 4 players that play as partners (that's how Bridge works :D ).

It seems to me that could easily be extended to 4 "tables" of 7 players (i.e. four Dip games) with 4 rounds played and meeting each player at least once and not more than twice. Obviously the need for pairs is not applicable. I already emailed him describing the problem.

..CA
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
User avatar
ColonelApricot
Premium Member
 
Posts: 379
Joined: 06 Oct 2013, 11:48
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1415
Timezone: GMT


Return to PDL Fixtures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest