PDL League 1 "Alt-Scores"

Suggestions to improve the concept of a PlayDiplomacy League

Moderator: mjparrett

PDL League 1 "Alt-Scores"

Postby jay65536 » 04 Sep 2018, 02:47

Hello!

A couple months back when the league was still going, I posted a thread asking if anyone wanted me to show you guys my new scoring system as it applied to the PDL League 1 games. Again, I am not officially suggesting that if the league is re-started, it should use my system. I was tracking the PDL 1 games anyway as a test of my system, and I figured since they were your games, you might want to see the results. There did seem to be enough interest in that, so now that the games have all finally ended, I will post them.

I'll put a brief introduction first, then the standings, then some of the finer details. My system awards a total of 252 points per game. If you lose, you get 0. If you solo, you get 252; if you get a 2way, you get 126. If you get any other result, how many points you get is a function of both the number of players in the draw, and the top two center counts when the game ended. If one player leads by more than one center when the game ends, that player gets a fixed score (usually better than a 3way) and all others in the draw split the remaining points equally; if not, then all players split all the points equally. I'll explain more below.

Here are the standings (and in 3 cases there were tiebreakers used--I'll explain that below as well):

1 (-) 393 Pootleflump
2 (-) 315 WarSmith
3 (-) 300 greggybear
4 (-) 222 Charleroi
5 (-) 186 machor
6 (-) 162 mjparrett
7 (3) 84 StarkAdder
8 (-) 84 V
8 (-) 84 DirtyHarry
8 (-) 84 bindlestiff/gsmx
11 (-) 78 jimbobicus/mhsmith0
12 (5) 75 HonestAbe
13 (-) 75 The Tibetan Blackbird
14 (5) 63 bdferris1
15 (-) 63 Verse9
16 (-) 0 FloridaMan
16 (-) 0 rd45
16 (-) 0 GPD/the_discourses
16 (-) 0 BlunderCity
16 (-) 0 Tortaldo
16 (-) 0 PJL/GruGloG

The numbers in the parentheses refer to the number of tiebreaks used to separate players with the same score. My system has a total of 5 tiebreaks.

Here are examples of how my system works:

In game 1.2, there was a 3way draw between StarkAdder, V, and DirtyHarry. They finished on 11, 10, and 10 centers respectively. In my system, anytime the top two center counts are within 1 of each other--as was the case here--all draw participants equally share 252 points. That means the three players each get 84. However, because StarkAdder topped the board, he gains an advantage in tiebreaks. The third tiebreak is most times topping your board; this is why he is above the other players with the same score of 84 points.

In game 2.1, there was a 3way draw between Charleroi, greggybear, and Pootleflump. The final center counts were 14/10/10. The 14/10 center counts at the top trigger an "advantage" for the table-topper, Charleroi. Because Charleroi had more than 12 centers and no one else had more than 11, we compute his "advantage" as his center count minus 12, which is 2. We then multiply by 6 and add 84 for a total of 96 points. Once Charleroi gets his 96 points, the remaining 156 points are split equally between the other two players, meaning greggybear and Pootleflump both get 78.

This explains Pootleflump's final score--an equally shared 4way in Round 1 for 63 points, plus that 78-point result, plus 252 for a solo, makes 393.

In game 3.2, there was a 3way draw between machor, HonestAbe, and The Tibetan Blackbird. Final center counts were 15/10/9. As with the previous example, machor had an "advantage", this time equal to 15-12 = 3. So his score was 3*6 + 84 = 102, and the other two players equally split the remaining 150, for 75 points each. This explains machor's score of 186--an equally shared 3way in round 2, which is worth 84, plus this result. For the other two players, this was their only non-loss, which is why they have 75 each. However, because HonestAbe had 10 centers and The Tibetan Blackbird had 9, HonestAbe gains an advantage in tiebreaks. The fifth tiebreak is highest center count in your best-scoring draw (all the way down the list of draws if necessary). This was the same tiebreak that gave bdferris1 the edge over Verse9.

I think these examples are enough so that anyone interested can go back and compute anyone's score. If anyone has questions, I'm happy to answer them; and if anyone has feedback, I'm more than happy to hear it! This is why I'm posting the results of the system.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1105
All-game rating: 1111
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: PDL League 1 "Alt-Scores"

Postby The SHIV » 04 Sep 2018, 15:36

Ok, good system. :D

Now start a new league!
:twisted:
LOL :roll:

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1109

Postby Woolgie » 07 Sep 2018, 10:19

I like it, but I would like to see survivors rewarded with a modicum of points. I allways have.

Can we have some sort of additional points, say 2 points for every SC at game end? This won’t put any losers near the winners on points but it would allow differentiation between losers and maybe remove the need for some of the tiebreaks.

That said, I like your proposal a lot more than the current system.
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 926
Timezone: GMT

Postby jay65536 » 07 Sep 2018, 18:03

I actually consider it a feature of my system that losses are worth 0 and are indistinguishable from each other. I find (from experience) that any draw-based system that rewards survivals tends to encourage anti-competitive results by giving powers that could have fought for a spot in the draw--or thrown a solo--a reason to give up early.

I should also point out that my system is not draw-based entirely, but a draw/lead hybrid. The "hybrid" part of my system was not fully shown by any of these games. But suffice it to say that games played under my system could potentially see bigger draws with small powers included more often than a typical noDIAS game on this site.

That being said, if you really do not like ties at the bottom, all you'd have to do is change the 5th tiebreak from "draw" to "draw or loss". That would break up the tie for 16th and possibly also the tie for 8th (I don't have my chart in front of me as I write this).

But I have no problem with large ties, especially at the bottom. I also don't have a problem using the tiebreaks--they keep center count all the way down in the 5th tiebreak.
jay65536

Standard rating: 1105
All-game rating: 1111

Postby boldblade » 19 Sep 2018, 15:35

Why is 6 the multiplier for a board leader in a draw? Why use 12 as the advantage point instead of the next highest center count? What if the final counts were 17/15/2? Seems like the guy with 15 really gets boned in the final points for that ending.
boldblade

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)

Postby boldblade » 19 Sep 2018, 15:53

NVM. I asked in the Lore thread about this scoring system instead.
boldblade

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)

Return to PDL suggestions