Individual League Directors

Suggestions to improve the concept of a PlayDiplomacy League

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: Individual League Directors

Postby mjparrett » 16 May 2018, 00:14

I also joke with my comment. I'd be more than happy to share the burden. Would a couple of people out there want the gig though?! That I am not so sure about!

Another dropout, this time in league 3. Sigh.
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524
Timezone: GMT

Postby mhsmith0 » 16 May 2018, 00:35

fwiw, i think that over time you'll see fewer dropouts in future years... but member churn will probably just be part of the process in general

and I think that "oh crap I need to find subs" in particular is a good thing to potentially offload, since it's easier for three people to do that than just one (imo anyway)
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby mjparrett » 16 May 2018, 09:44

I agree.

Its hard - some people have contacted me to say "I'm going to drop out can I have a sub". Some just disappear. It really ruins a game if someone quits and a turn gets missed. I had quite a few subs lined up at the start of the year and they have all been used!! Maybe 3 leagues was indeed pushing it.

2 leagues of reliable people (not ambassador/diplomat as not only elitist but a few dropouts have been ambassador). The stand bys can arrange and play games amongst themselves and wait for the moment they are needed in league action? I don't know...
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 16 May 2018, 10:33

2 leagues with 49 players (21 in league 1, 28 in league 2) and 7 relegations with no protection for subs seems like it might be more feasible than 3 leagues with 63 players. The fact that it hasn’t fallen apart completely is a testament both to how popular the idea of a league is, and mike’s recruitment skills. Reformatting might be a decent option, with the option of splitting off a league 3 in future years if this continues and builds steam and a larger player pool. For the current player pool though, I’d say that 49 over 2 leagues with 7 promotions/relegations is probably a more reasonable target. Better to have 2 relatively stable leagues (dropouts will never be completely eliminated, but presumably anyone returning for a second year has a much lower chance of dropping out) is better than having 3 somewhat volatile leagues, at least in my view.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 16 May 2018, 11:06

boldblade wrote:That was a joke and I messed it up a little but I've been waiting for an opportunity to use this because I thought it was hilarious at the time.

ITALY (Fall 1906, Mar 14 2018 13:01 (GMT))
Ooooh....the dim bulb brightens...

Fun times.

At least use it on someone that wasn't in that game! :lol: :lol:
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby boldblade » 16 May 2018, 14:57

Don Juan of Austria wrote:At least use it on someone that wasn't in that game! :lol: :lol:

Haha, see I thought it was better because I was using it on the original target lol.

nanooktheeskimo wrote:2 leagues with 49 players (21 in league 1, 28 in league 2) and 7 relegations with no protection for subs seems like it might be more feasible than 3 leagues with 63 players. The fact that it hasn’t fallen apart completely is a testament both to how popular the idea of a league is, and mike’s recruitment skills. Reformatting might be a decent option, with the option of splitting off a league 3 in future years if this continues and builds steam and a larger player pool. For the current player pool though, I’d say that 49 over 2 leagues with 7 promotions/relegations is probably a more reasonable target. Better to have 2 relatively stable leagues (dropouts will never be completely eliminated, but presumably anyone returning for a second year has a much lower chance of dropping out) is better than having 3 somewhat volatile leagues, at least in my view.

Why not 28 in both leagues? Do you think it is still just too much?
boldblade

Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 16 May 2018, 15:41

21 in league one to maintain the exclusivity of it, because 3 boards is a good number to work with, and to preserve the integrity of this season’s results (top 7 from L2 and bottom 7 from L1 still swap, and top 7 from L3 are added to league 2–only place this is weak is the bottom 7 of L2 not getting relegated, but there has to be a loss of integrity somewhere if this were to happen, and this has the least amount of it).

And also, yes, because trimming the size down to 49 from 63 gives us a solid stable of reserves if needed, and reduces the likelihood of people quitting in the middle, while also accounting for people like myself that don’t necessarily want to play a second season and would rather just be a “break glass in case of emergency” reserve and weigh in with unsolicited opinions on semi-related topics (sort of like I am now!).
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to PDL suggestions