Scoring System for Second PDL Season

Suggestions to improve the concept of a PlayDiplomacy League

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: Scoring System for Second PDL Season

Postby WHSeward » 02 Apr 2018, 23:11

You guys may be disappointed if you have center-based scoring system for your league, but are playing ranked games that are evaluated on a draw-based system. Players will be conflicted on which the "should" play to and undoubtedly will make different decisions.

My free advice: if the games are going to be ranked, then stick to a draw-based system. If you want a center- or lead-based system, then unrank the games.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby duckling » 02 Apr 2018, 23:57

Saturos wrote:
Take for example our game of round 1 game 2.1.

[..] If it was changed to be scoring by SoS, we would have to spend weeks slowly removing him from the board.

Had the game ended like it did, then with SoS you would've had gotten a 7 point lead on the others (since you ended with more centres).
Eliminating England by evenly sharing his centres would've diminished that lead, possibly removing it altogether.
The only whittling you'd benefit from is if you got some more of E's centres, but the other's didn't. And they probably wouldn't want that, both from power and score perspectives.

WHSeward wrote:
Players will be conflicted on which the "should" play to and undoubtedly will make different decisions.

Good point. Personally, I wouldn't have that problem. In a league game, I'll play the league. Others will have a different relationship with their rating, of course.
On the other hand, the site ranking system encourages fighting harder for a bigger win when matched against similarly ranked opponents. Drawing lowers your gain.
The SoSq scoring should also motivate you to go for the solo.
duckling

Standard rating: (1130)
All-game rating: (1176)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Saturos » 03 Apr 2018, 06:40

In the event of a draw, you take each surviving player's end SC count and square it. Your score is the percentage of your "Squared SC count" of the total of the squared values.

So you misspoke when you said each surviving player and meant each drawing player, then?
Saturos

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1374)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 03 Apr 2018, 07:19

WHSeward wrote:You guys may be disappointed if you have center-based scoring system for your league, but are playing ranked games that are evaluated on a draw-based system. Players will be conflicted on which the "should" play to and undoubtedly will make different decisions.

My free advice: if the games are going to be ranked, then stick to a draw-based system. If you want a center- or lead-based system, then unrank the games.

100% agree with this. Scoring system has to be compatible with site ranking system, or unrank the games.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby duckling » 03 Apr 2018, 08:32

Saturos wrote:

So you misspoke when you said each surviving player and meant each drawing player, then?

All survivors are included in the draw, they’re DIAS games.

That’s one drawback of the SoS scoring; you might get more “big draws”.
But an uneven distribution of centres on the board will give someone a lead over the others, which IMO compensates well for that. You won’t get 4 way draws where everyone gain the same, few points each.
duckling

Postby Custer » 03 Apr 2018, 11:54

100% compatible with site scoring system? Thats got nothing to do with it.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1099
All-game rating: 1088
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 03 Apr 2018, 11:57

The SHIV wrote:100% compatible with site scoring system? Thats got nothing to do with it.

The SHIV

I said I 100% agree that it should be compatible with the site scoring system, not that it has to be 100% compatible with said system.

If the league games are going to be ranked, then the league scoring system should be compatible with the site system. Otherwise you end up with people playing with different goals and with different incentives, and that's not fair to anyone involved. So if the games are going to be ranked, then the scoring system should be draw based. If the scoring system is going to be SoS or Carnage or another lead or SC based system, then the games should be norank.

It has everything to do with it.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mjparrett » 03 Apr 2018, 14:44

And I sit here sniggering to myself as the debate starts all over again. We got to about 4 votes for one proposal (not even the original!), but no more.

And I 100% want the games to be ranked. I might be alone in this. And I don't know why I feel so strongly about it. But I do.

Carry on all of you, I shall check in again next week.... :)
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524
Timezone: GMT

Postby Custer » 03 Apr 2018, 17:13

Games should be ranked. Scoring system has nothing to do with that. I play to win. Every time. Period. I don't care what scoring system you use. If you want to play unranked games, knock yourself out.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1099
All-game rating: 1088
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby duckling » 03 Apr 2018, 18:59

Regarding compatibility with ratings:
Does the DIAS setting count as a rule variation, or does it affect all ratings?

I wonder, since we also have other rules that can greatly affect the outcome of games (and thus player strategies).
duckling

PreviousNext

Return to PDL suggestions