Reduce the likelihood of spoiled games in the PDL

Suggestions to improve the concept of a PlayDiplomacy League

Moderator: mjparrett

Reduce the likelihood of spoiled games in the PDL

Postby ColonelApricot » 02 Dec 2017, 04:01

I'm sure nobody wants league games to be spoiled by drop-outs, delays and civil disorders.

Therefore here is my suggestion to reduce NMRs and surrenders:

To reduce the incidence of drop outs, priority should be given to players with a good reliability record (i.e. low surrender and NMR levels). Keeping drop outs to a minimum will help to avoid the difficulty of introducing permanent replacement players as well as disruptive delays to games getting under way and distorted results for games in progress.

(This was originally raised in the main PDL thread and is now raised here as a formal suggestion).

How would this work?

All entries to the leagues would be sorted by 1) Player class (i.e. Ambassador vs Diplomat) 2) Results-based rating*.

The effect would be that any player that had not achieved Ambassador status (3 consecutive completed rank or non-rank games without surrendering) would be placed below all Ambassador-class players when being allocated to the leagues.

*"Results-based rating" means a rating that includes at least one completed rank game. New players automatically receive a starting rating of 1000 but this should not be used for establishing a starting rank within the league because it is arbitrary and not based on any actual game experience.

NOTE: This suggestion is not intended to be and is not actually elitist. It merely has the effect of reducing the likelihood of surrenders and NMRs affecting league games.

FOR THIS SUGGESTION TO BE ACCEPTED IT NEEDS TEN MORE PEOPLE TO SUPPORT IT! If you want better quality games in the league you should post here in support.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1415
Timezone: GMT

Re: Reduce the likelihood of spoiled games in the PDL

Postby NJLonghorn » 02 Dec 2017, 04:43

Your suggestion wouldn’t reduce dropouts —at most, it would just shift more of them to the lower league.

Regardless, those of us on the waitlist are hoping for lots of dropouts. Getting in off of the waitlist will be luck of the f*c*ing draw with no prioritization, so we need lots of chances.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Bromley86 » 02 Dec 2017, 05:14

NJLonghorn wrote:Your suggestion wouldn’t reduce dropouts —at most, it would just shift more of them to the lower league.

Regardless, those of us on the waitlist are hoping for lots of dropouts. Getting in off of the waitlist will be luck of the f*c*ing draw with no prioritization, so we need lots of chances.

I think you misunderstand. The suggestion only makes sense if it's applied to the total signup list. So those who are relegated to the waitlist will be those with the poorest (or non-existent) reliability record.

@CA. Makes sense to me, but I'm not in the league, so you're still on 1.

EDIT: Logically then, everyone on the waitlist with a decent record should vote for this :D .
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 02 Dec 2017, 06:32

1. This probably makes sense...but I'm not understanding it yet.

2. Bromley, you should totally join the league. :D
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby ColonelApricot » 02 Dec 2017, 07:41

Don Juan of Austria wrote:1. This probably makes sense...but I'm not understanding it yet.

OK how about an example.

Let's say that by the cut off date, 18 players at Ambassador level and 18 players at Diplomat level sign up. 3 of the Diplomats haven't completed a rank game yet so they have the default rating of 1000. 39 players total signed up.

The following list is produced, sorting all players by 1) Player class 2) Rating (unless default) 3) Order of sign up, producing:

Ambassador best rating
Ambassador 2nd best rating
Ambassador 3rd best rating
Ambassador 18th best rating (may be less than 1000)
Diplomat best rating
Diplomat 2nd best rating
Diplomat 3rd best rating
Diplomat 15th best rating (the lowest of the diplomats that have completed at least one rank game)
Diplomat default rating 1000 (first to sign up)
Diplomat default rating 1000 (second to sign up)
Diplomat default rating 1000 (3rd to sign up)

Assume there are 2 leagues of 14 players in each with 11 player spare (this is an assumption for the sake of discussion, no relation to the actual final league structure).

League 1: Ambassadors 1-14.
League 2: Ambassadors 15-18, Diplomats 1 to 10.
Stand-by group: Diplomats 11-15 plus the three Diplomats with default ratings. Substitutes from the Stand-by group would be selected in the order specified.

Note that:

-- League 1 will be made up of the Ambassadors with the highest ratings. Therefore these players will be playing others of similar ratings and reliability.
-- League 2 will be a mix of Ambassadors with lower ratings and Diplomats with higher ratings than other Diplomats. If "reliable" these Diplomats are likely to have had a positive result in at least one or two games (three without surrender would make them Ambassador) so they are still relatively unproven in terms of rating and reliability. The players in League 2 will be playing others of roughly similar ratings and perhaps unproven reliability).

If there are drop outs from League 1 (not likely) then the next available highest rating from the stand-by group will fill in (actually leapfrog over League 2 - this is no different from the current model).
If there are drop outs from League 2 (more likely) then the next available highest rating player from the stand-by group will fill in.

I hope that helps.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1415

Postby mjparrett » 02 Dec 2017, 12:19

A correction; as stated in the rules any DQd from league 1 will be replaced by someone in league 2 and NOT a standby. Early promotion if you like. A one off surrender will be subbed for by a stand in and the -5 points. The difference should be noted.

I have received a PM from someone backing the current system. Logic being don't penalise someone before it has started; and if you put the diplomats in a lower league you are almost asking for more surrenders/NMRs before it starts. Self fulfilling prophecy and all that. Maybe when 1 goes you'll get a domino effect and someone else will. Mix them with the ambassadors and maybe they'll be encouraged into better play. And I agree.

It should also be noted that everyone who has signed up has dug through the forum and found a post, and has committed to playing. Lets give them a chance and hope that the NMR type of player hasn't even got involved.

The reason I have received a PM is because the player in question is a diplomat and is worried that will be held against them in the forum. Although it could be equally pointed out the player posting is a lower ranked ambassador. And again, you can't keep everyone happy. I have laid out the rules and everyone has agreed and signed up to play. Lets see how it goes before we start bashing it and claiming too many games will be ruined. That's not the spirit!
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Postby Astrup » 03 Dec 2017, 16:14

I like this idea. It makes total sense to me. But it only really has a large effect on season 1. In season 2 it will only effect new players joining the league. So maybe it's not something to make rules about - even though I think it would effect me positively as an ambassador :)

But then again again - maybe it's not so bad as a way to sign up new players for coming seasons as well. I think it's a nice signal to send to players, that stability is important prioritized.

- Simon
Astrup

Standard rating: (1151)
All-game rating: (1158)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby mjparrett » 12 Dec 2017, 12:38

No further replies, not enough votes. Thread locked. Bosh.
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Return to PDL suggestions