Cup competition

Suggestions to improve the concept of a PlayDiplomacy League

Moderator: mjparrett

Cup competition

Postby joe92 » 29 Nov 2017, 18:24

I'm not participating (can't do weekend processing) but merely suggesting something that might be interesting for the league.

How about a cup competition towards the end of the season? Many sports run a cup competition as well as a league. I play badminton and our first cup match is next week with half of the league games having already been played. Football, Rugby, Tennis, Squash and so on all have cup competitions. PDL could run a similar idea. After everyone has completed their first 3 games, the cup competition could start and run parallel with the league.

One consideration is that cup competitions generally allow all entrants to have a shot at the title and follow a round robin knockout style of tournament. Given the time intensity of diplomacy you wouldn't want the cup to add too many games. But I think you could have it wrapped up in as little as 2 games tops. You have 42 sign ups at present. That makes 6 games for the knockout and a 7th for the final. The first 6 games all start at the same time. Once all completed (or timed out to a set number of weeks or game years), you take the 7 highest scoring players from those 6 games to create the 7th final game. Your scoring system already includes caveats for centre difference as a tie breaker so if there are lots of draws that shouldn't be much of an issue. The winner of the 7th game is crowned the winner of the cup competition for that year. A badge they can proudly display.

To pick the fixtures of the first 6 games my suggestion is that you simply merge the divisions to create 1 list of all players ranked by their current division score. So the 1st place in division 2 will be high up on that list, possibly even 1st. Then split them up in iterations of 6:

Code: Select all
Game 1 - 01 07 13 19 25 31 37
Game 2 - 02 08 14 20 26 32 38
Game 3 - 03 09 15 21 27 33 39
Game 4 - 04 10 16 22 28 34 40
Game 5 - 05 11 17 23 29 35 41
Game 6 - 06 12 18 24 30 36 42

Game 7 - Top 7 players from games 1-6

The benefits of such a cup are that it allows players who are doing well but not quite in the promotion brackets a chance to win something they can be proud of. In the later years when new entries to the league will likely be added to the bottom division it gives strong new players the chance to win something. If this league gets a third division, new players would need 3 years to work their way to the top of the 1st division. The cup gives something else they can try for in the meantime.

If the league does get a 3rd division that would simply add an additional 3 games to the knockout round. The criteria could stay the same of just taking the top 7 players.

Given that a 3-way draw could very well see you miss out in the final this would encourage some risky and exciting play in these games.

Anyway, that's about it. Glad to see this is filling up well.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1746
Timezone: GMT

Re: Cup competition

Postby mjparrett » 29 Nov 2017, 20:30

I have to say I like the idea and similar thoughts have crossed my mind. The main negatives for me, are with just two divisions, it is essentially 1 (or 2) more games against the same people again. 4 games a year with the same crowd might get tiring. Especially if you have 2 games at the same time (1 league, 1 cup) against 2 or 3 same players.

The other negative is the admin side. I have started this league because I thought it would fun to play in. I am not a moderator or site admin. I merely just enjoy the game (I am also more than aware that the people that run this site also mainly do it for the love). I am playing in the league myself. What I am worried about is spending more time running competitions than playing them!

BUT, I do like it. And I'll be interested to see if anyone else posts here.

As a (relevant) aside, the cup games (especially with just two rounds) could be different deadlines, allowing others to join in (a few wildcard entrants if you like)....
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Postby The SHIV » 30 Nov 2017, 02:28

Whatever...,,,you're playin.....I'm playin.....sign me up!
LoL

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1109
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby StarkAdder » 30 Nov 2017, 15:19

I like it too; it also keeps people who lose a few games early on interested in PDDL, since they have a chance to get back into the finals via the BackDoor.

One idea (apologies for the extra admin work this entails)....run the Cup competition concurrently with the last few game in the tournament, so players at the bottom rung have to compete against one another to stay alive.

Sort of like the "wild card playoffs" in U.S. sports. Instead of playing out meaningless games at the end of the round-robin, when both players know they have no chance of winning, a game of players in the "relegation zone" becomes a hunger game of survival for one and elimination for the loser...
StarkAdder

Standard rating: 1193
All-game rating: 1070

Postby NJLonghorn » 30 Nov 2017, 18:00

If I understand what StarkAdder is saying, Round 4 of the regular league could also be the qualifying round for the Cup competition. The top 7 scorers in Round 4 (regardless of which league they are in) get to play in the Cup Finals. This would avoid the situation where half the league has little if anything to play for in Round 4, and would add very little in the way of administrative burden. I love it.

Perhaps we could take the concept even further. Each round of the tournament could have a "Cup". The best scorers in Round N would play in the Round N Cup, concurrently with Round N+1. At the end of the season, there would be two bonus games -- the Round 4 Cup and the Champions' Cup, featuring the top few finishers from each league.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)

Postby StarkAdder » 30 Nov 2017, 21:08

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. Glad you like it!
StarkAdder

Standard rating: 1193
All-game rating: 1070

Postby lb1785 » 12 Dec 2017, 10:34

NJLonghorn wrote:Perhaps we could take the concept even further. Each round of the tournament could have a "Cup". The best scorers in Round N would play in the Round N Cup, concurrently with Round N+1. At the end of the season, there would be two bonus games -- the Round 4 Cup and the Champions' Cup, featuring the top few finishers from each league.

I would definitely vote for this. Some further thoughts:
- there might not be any need to make participation in the Cup compulsory; only take the top 7 scorers from each round who are willing to participate
- There are many ways of doing a Champions' Cup: playoffs from each league (top 7 scorers at the end of the season in each league, so one Cup per league); kind of All-star game (top 7 scorers in general, whatever the league they were in: that's only one Cup at the end then); or a true Champions' Cup based on the winners of the Round N Cups (take the best 7 scores from the 4 Round N Cups and make it one Cup).
"Mon Dieu, gardez-moi de mes amis. Quant à mes ennemis, je m'en charge !" (Voltaire)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." (Winston Churchill)
Silver Classicist
3-way draw as The Mondoshawans in Invasion Earth
lb1785

Standard rating: (1444)
All-game rating: (1450)

Postby mjparrett » 12 Dec 2017, 12:42

This warrants further thought from me. As it isn't a suggestion to amend any rules though, I'm going to lock this thread for now. I do like the cup idea, but not many people have posted, and it includes extra admin for me. If the league seems to be going well I might well introduce this at the end of the year. But too early to say for now. I do think the idea of giving round 4 games purpose for everyone is clever, but that seems a long way off at the moment. Never the less, thanks for the suggestion and I shall consider.

Mike
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Return to PDL suggestions