anonymity

Suggestions to improve the concept of a PlayDiplomacy League

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: anonymity

Postby mjparrett » 04 Dec 2017, 15:47

Agree with V. In practical terms implementing something would be impossible. But just look at the game we are playing here... this is a game ABOUT lying and being deceitful. So people try to be as honest as possible. I quite like that approach to an extent but you CAN'T do it all the time (without being a poor player who just stops talking to people instead of lying). The face to face game doesn't have some of the issues we deal with and games can obviously NEVER be anon. But you are allowed to steal other peoples orders, listen in to conversations and try other tricks.

This just isn't cricket (and no, I will not be talking about the latest score although your collapse just there cheered me slightly!!) and to pretend otherwise would be silly. I know you didn't like in a recent game I forwarded you another players message; the fact that I had completely made up the message doesn't matter - it was the act of doing it you didn't like. Now I can learn from that and not employ that tactic with you again (you need to learn from your mistakes) but the act itself is something I have done from time to time and will use if I think it will work.

Even if I didn't put my name on messages, people I have played before would quite possibly realise it was me. So I can sign off "Mike" if I like. But sometimes I like to mix it up and sign off "John" against someone I know, just to cast a little doubt... All is fair in war and war. Or something like that.
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524
Timezone: GMT

Postby Cover Drive » 05 Dec 2017, 12:51

All good mike. i actually didnt mind that message you sent. had me in two minds which is the goal is guess - to be honest i assumed it was legit so kudos on the deception. id never seen it before because i have always played face to face.

just more thought it might be an issue in tournament play but as you say, the fact it could be anyone and you really dont know until its over will probably negate it. hopefully.

... and dont even start me about not enforcing the follow-on. as un-australian as footwear at the beach. honestly hope you get there, will burn into an entire generation of aussies that when your foot is on the throat, you push down not lift up.

as i type.....malan gets his off peg removed playing a standard fwd defensive. your south africa recruitment division has lessened of late.
Cover Drive

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1101)
All-game rating: (1107)

Postby mjparrett » 12 Dec 2017, 12:38

No more replies/comments. Locking this thread.
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Previous

Return to PDL suggestions