NMRs / surrenders

Suggestions to improve the concept of a PlayDiplomacy League

Moderator: mjparrett

NMRs / surrenders

Postby NJLonghorn » 28 Nov 2017, 18:24

This is not so much a suggestion as a series of questions about players coming into and leaving the league. This can occur in a wide range of scenarios, such as: a player NMRs in Spring 01; a player surrenders mid-game; a player quits between games within a season; a player quits at the end of the season; and players want to join for a new season. Some random thoughts about these scenarios:

• My understanding is that an NMR in Spring 01 will prevent the game from starting. Presumably it will then restart with a sub. Similarly, if a player forfeits, presumably a sub will be able to step in. But how is the sub chosen? (player ranking? random? first-come, first served?) Do they step in for just that game or for the entire season? Do they inherit the departing player's promotion/relegation status?

• If a league position opens up at the end of the season, does the top of the other league move up? Or does a sub step in to the vacant spot? How do you decide who gets the spot? (player ranking? random? first-come, first served?)

• If there are new players who want to join for a new season, are they assigned to the bottom league automatically? This might discourage good players from signing up.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: NMRs / surrenders

Postby mjparrett » 28 Nov 2017, 19:15

Thanks for the question. I have actually been discussing these points with others recently and appreciate that some clarity is needed in the rules.

The first two points need a lot of thought and I plan on starting that soon and getting something added to the rules page.

The last point on the face of it is quite easy; yes they will start from the bottom. I fully appreciate your comment of dissuading top players from joining. However nothing else seems "fair". How would you feel if you came 14th in league 1 so weren't due to be relegated (I'm thinking bottom 5 to be relegated although again this will be confirmed once total number of players is known), but were relegated because a new player with a higher ranking suddenly wanted in. I don't think that is fair at all.

All the more reason why players should sign up from the start :D
mjparrett

Standard rating: (1488)
All-game rating: (1524)
Timezone: GMT

Postby V » 29 Nov 2017, 01:59

Again definitely agree with mjparrett, reference new players after league start entering at the lower league & winning promotion thereafter. If there is not enough motivation & interest to be involved now, then to have a system in which benefit is accrued later doesn’t seem wise to me.
Additionally a waiting list of willing replacements may well be needed mid season (in the event of unreliable dropouts). Again these folks should get to participate based on first in, first out in my opinion, with ranking no longer having a role to play.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby mjparrett » 29 Nov 2017, 18:01

In case you haven't seen it; this point has now been addressed fully in the new rules appendix just released. I'll give it a week or so for new comments here otherwise I will close this thread (oh - the powers of being a moderator for this forum!)

M
mjparrett

Postby NJLonghorn » 30 Nov 2017, 18:13

I agree with the first-in, first-out concept. The player who was the 43rd to sign up should have dibs on the first spot to open up. However, it may be too slow to send PMs one at a time. Thus, perhaps you could send a PM to the first few on the waiting list, and make it first-come first served for those few.
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn

Postby NJLonghorn » 30 Nov 2017, 18:15

Another thought, not relevant this year. If (or should I say when) there is a league 3 in the future, there will presumably be some strong players in it. Perhaps the winner in that league could be promoted directly to the top league, with the next 6 stepping up to the second league.
NJLonghorn

Postby mjparrett » 01 Dec 2017, 23:56

I'm hoping to get a 3rd league now :)

To clarify - ALL stand bys will be PM'd. It will be first come first served who replies. I can't go to 43rd, then 44th etc. Just not practical.

Hopefully 3 leagues now and therefore each player in the right place according to rank. If a new league starts in future, you start in the bottom league and only get promoted one league at a time. Only fair way. Again the logistics of bringing in something subjective (what counts as a strong player) gets messy. Again how would you feel if you were 7th in league 2 but didn't get promoted as I decide someone in league 3 is more worthy of a place in the top league than you? Would discourage people. So no :)
mjparrett

Postby NJLonghorn » 02 Dec 2017, 00:15

mjparrett wrote:I'm hoping to get a 3rd league now :)

If a new league starts in future, you start in the bottom league and only get promoted one league at a time. Only fair way. Again the logistics of bringing in something subjective (what counts as a strong player) gets messy. Again how would you feel if you were 7th in league 2 but didn't get promoted as I decide someone in league 3 is more worthy of a place in the top league than you? Would discourage people. So no :)

You express concern that the 7th-place finisher in league 2 would be wronged and may feel discouraged, but the same can be said of the first place finisher in league 3. Who is entitled to move up is unavoidably arbitrary.

If league 3 gets off the ground from the get-go and thus consists of the lowest-ranked players, then a one-league-at-a-time promotion regimen makes sense. But if new players in 2019 get stuck in a new league 3, that league is likely to be as strong as, or stronger than, league 2. I submit that you should recognize that this is likely, and want to do something about it. But that's just me. :D
NJLonghorn

Postby NJLonghorn » 02 Dec 2017, 00:18

mjparrett wrote:To clarify - ALL stand bys will be PM'd. It will be first come first served who replies. I can't go to 43rd, then 44th etc. Just not practical.

I agree that one at a time would be unworkable. But there could be as many as 20 standbys at the start of the year, and potentially more as time goes on. It would be reasonable to PM the first 5 or so and give the spot to the first response from those 5. There is no reason that someone high up on the standby list should repeatedly miss out on spots to people way lower on the list.
NJLonghorn

Postby mjparrett » 02 Dec 2017, 00:23

There is no "higher up the stand by list". You are either on it or not.
mjparrett

Next

Return to PDL suggestions