League structure (if multiple)

Suggestions to improve the concept of a PlayDiplomacy League

Moderator: mjparrett

League structure (if multiple)

Postby mhsmith0 » 21 Nov 2017, 23:57

If for some reason there are multiple leagues, I'd probably suggest that in year one you have leagues that aren't really ordered, and then you assign everyone to league 1/2/3/etc in the future

i.e. if there are 2 leagues of 21 players each in year one...

The top half of each league goes into league 1 for year 2, and the bottom half into league 2 (with some kind of tiebreaker for the fact that each league is odd-sized)

Split into thirds if 3 leagues

etc
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: League structure (if multiple)

Postby V » 22 Nov 2017, 01:53

It is currently hypothetical, as we don’t know if multiple divisions will occur based on sign up #’s, but I prefer the original suggestion by mjp that participants be allocated based on current standard ranking in year 1, with subsequent promotion/relegation rather than the above suggestion.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754

Postby mjparrett » 22 Nov 2017, 15:34

Yes V - I think I am sticking with that (unless this suggestion gets A LOT of traction). The whole aim with a league based system is to reward good play. Hence the promotion etc. But it seems a fairly safe bet to order multiple leagues based on Dip rating to start with. This is two-fold; it hopefully makes more games a level playing field, but also if there is a second league then it gives them something to aspire to as they move up the rankings/leagues.

If you had 3 leagues to start with (unlikely anyway with sign ups) and randomly allocated people, it might be 5 years before the "best" player one the top league.

Anyway, hypothetical. 18 sign ups already so pretty confident getting league 1 off the ground. Will we see enough for league 2 though? Early days obviously and I'd like to think so. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524
Timezone: GMT

Postby V » 22 Nov 2017, 19:15

Mike

I see from previous posts that the desired # of players per division is 21, which looks great in my opinion.
Have you already got a plan for how to cope with an awkward sign up # (say 30)? If you are not interested in addressing hypotheticals, I understand:-)

Cheers V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Postby mjparrett » 23 Nov 2017, 02:37

V

Yes see the fixtures tab - the ideal is 21 players and 4 rounds of 3 games.

I could however cope with any multiple of 7. Although I guess min 14; a 7 player league seems a bit pointless.

So hypothetically 30 sign up:

1. Campaign hard for 5 extra players :)
2. Extend the league to 28. 2 reserves
3. 2 leagues of 14 each. 2 reserves.
4. A league of 21 and a one off game for 7 for promotion. 2 reserves again
5. The second league has 9 players, and is formed along the lines of some of the other suggestions; games are created and your best 2 scores count - not everyone will play the same amount of games.

I'm not sure which I'd go for there. Probably option 3 (although I would be trying option 1 as well!). It would only be 3 games each then. But hopefully if this is a success then people will want to join future seasons. Like all things it might take a while to get off the ground.

Do you have a preference out of the above options? Or a mysterious 6th option?
mjparrett

Postby V » 23 Nov 2017, 03:22

Option 3 looks good if we end up with an awkward number between 28 & 35. Sign ups are going excellently, so the debate might become, what do we do if we have an awkward number, like 50? (wouldn’t that be a great problem to have!)

V
Platinum Classicist
V

Postby mjparrett » 29 Nov 2017, 18:07

No further comments or agreement, rules remain as they are, and case is CLOSED! (the power is going to my head...)
mjparrett

Return to PDL suggestions