Non-PDL players in games

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Non-PDL players in games

Postby Woolgie » 30 Mar 2020, 19:20

Regarding PDL D1 Feb and PDL D1 Mar B

The password protection of games does not apply to replacements and non-PDL players have inadvertently joined the two above game. The PDL nor the site admins do not have the right to remove players who are following the site rules (different to league rules) however I do ask these players to consider stepping back out of the games in the spirit of FairPlay so that the PDL can continue with an official replacement player. I have messaged the players privately regarding this.

The games will be allowed to continue regardless and all PDL players will be awarded PDL points in the normal way, however players cannot join the league retrospectively after joining a game as this would create a route to an unfair advantage and therefore the non-PDL players will not be added to the league. The controlled counties will continue to score points for whomever takes over the league position at a later date as with any surrendered position.

I have requested from site admin that these players are not penalised for surrendering and these surrenders are expunged from their record should they choose to back out. I await confirmation of this.

Furthermore a mechanism has been put in place to reinstate passwords for PDL games after they have started to prevent future inadvertent joins by non-PDL players. NoPunin10did will do this manually for each PDL game after it starts and is going to do it for all active games today.

Draw Solution to end these affected games - If ALL PDL players in this game wish to end the league scoring now based on the current map, and then let the game continue beyond this they can privately message both myself and TTBen with this choice. This is not an ideal solution, but players may consider it the best option and I leave it up to them to discuss and individually decide. They can send this message any time and their choice will remain valid until withdrawn.

Finally, my apologies for these events which were unfortunately not foreseen. We are on a learning curve with the PDL and as Tony Blair once sang... Things can only get better.

Revised Draw Proposal

If the PDL players wish to agree to a draw for the purposes of the league, the draw will be counted as having one less participant (I.e. only PDL players) for league scoring. Points for SCs held by non-PDL players will be allocated pro-rata to PDL players for league scoring, as best as reasonably possible without allocating fractional points.

The game will be able to continue outside of the league or drawn in the normal way amongst all players.

Anyone wishing to accept this draw proposal for the purposes of the league should message both myself and TTBen with this choice. Any choice will stand until withdrawn.
Last edited by Woolgie on 01 Apr 2020, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1043
All-game rating: 927
Timezone: GMT

Re: Non-PDL players in games

Postby V » 30 Mar 2020, 19:34

An awkward situation that looks to have been handled as well as it could.

There are some eminent positions around the world, held by individuals currently in awkward situations. They don’t seem to be handling matters quite as well & would maybe consider assistance :D There’s a nondescript house in central London, #10 something or other, where applications for administrators might be welcomed. Understand they’re currently short staffed.

Great job Woolgie.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 30 Mar 2020, 21:08

Woolgie wrote:Furthermore a mechanism has been put in place to reinstate passwords for PDL games after they have started to prevent future inadvertent joins by non-PDL players. NoPunin10did will do this manually for each PDL game after it starts and is going to do it for all active games today.

Note that there has been some delay in getting this particular aspect working. If there are surrenders during the next day-or-so, then they are potentially open for non-leaguers to join.

UPDATE 3:44 PM EDT

This should be sorted now. Current League games will require a password for replacement players. I've given Woolgie those passwords.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Woolgie » 30 Mar 2020, 23:33

NoPunIn10Did wrote:This should be sorted now. Current League games will require a password for replacement players. I've given Woolgie those passwords.

Thanks
Woolgie
Premium Member

Postby Custer » 31 Mar 2020, 00:37

You guys are on it!

Great job as always.

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1095
All-game rating: 1044
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby MasterGR » 31 Mar 2020, 06:28

Thanks Woolgie! I believe many people don't check their PM inbox frequently. In Steff's case, Public Press helped get the message through. Perhaps that's something to try in the Feb game as well, I don't think the person who joined understands what's going on judging from the shoutbox...
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1335
All-game rating: 1574
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Mr.E » 31 Mar 2020, 10:54

Not that it's foolproof but when a game is created, perhaps using the game description box to place a message that this is a tournament game and asking players to not join it might go some way to stopping this.

Another solution that isn't perfect would be to use the Schools games section for tournament games (or create a new game type, "Tournament" games that works similarly to Schools games) would prevent anyone without the password from entering the games. Of course, Schools games can't be ranked...

Just some thoughts.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Visit The Embassy, a Diplomacy blog.
Read Perfidious Issue 3.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 941
All-game rating: 1066

Postby dib » 31 Mar 2020, 14:51

Of course, Schools games can't be ranked..

Great idea that will work for SuperPastis!

Thanks Me E. Loving the blog etc. btw

Dib
dib

Standard rating: (1824)
All-game rating: (1942)

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 31 Mar 2020, 20:14

dib wrote:
Of course, Schools games can't be ranked..

Great idea that will work for SuperPastis!

Thanks Me E. Loving the blog etc. btw

Dib

Schools games aren't open to ordinary player accounts. What you need is a Friends game for unranked games (like what the SuperPastis tournaments have to use, since its scoring system differs so significantly).

It's only ranked/rated games that are the issue, since they can't be Friends games.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Woolgie » 01 Apr 2020, 12:34

Revised Draw Proposal

If the PDL players wish to agree to a draw for the purposes of the league, the draw will be counted as having one less participant (I.e. only PDL players) for league scoring. Points for SCs held by non-PDL players will be allocated pro-rata to PDL players for league scoring, as best as reasonably possible without allocating fractional points.

The game will be able to continue outside of the league or drawn in the normal way amongst all players.

Anyone wishing to accept this draw proposal for the purposes of the league should message both myself and TTBen with this choice. Any choice will stand until withdrawn.
Woolgie
Premium Member

Next

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League