PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

Postby jay65536 » 23 Sep 2020, 16:37

On this edition of "SPOTTED IN THE WILD", presented with no further comment, the D1 July B game has Italian fleets simultaneously in the Eastern Med and the Barents Sea.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby jay65536 » 30 Sep 2020, 17:21

D1 July B finally concludes. I am stunned by this result--twists and turns to the end!

-Yet another solo--now it's 5 solos in 8 completed games. For the first time, though, we have a solo with more than 18 centers--it ended up as a 21-center Italian solo. Under the PDL scoring system, that's a 12-point boost compared to the other 4 solos.

-A very dynamic game, almost entirely throughout, boils down to 5 eliminations--one on the very last turn--and one survivor (Austria) finishing on 13.

-I thought at one point that Austria had the best chance for the win, but once Germany was eliminated and Italy was able to use the builds for reinforcements back home, Italy snatched the win away. This makes two league games now (January B being the other) where I was watching, waiting for one country to win, and the game was eventually won by someone else.

-It looks like 2 of the centers Italy took in the last turn were due to Austrian misorders. Austria lost both Kiel and Munich when one of them could have been saved (I think Austria was trying to put two on Kiel but misordered a support?), and also Austria lost Trieste after double-supporting Trieste to hold but ordering it to move.

-All that, before we look at who was who! This game featured two players--Squasher and another--who had soloed in previous league games. It turned out that both of them (as England and France) fell victim to a Central Triple and were both eliminated years before the game ended. So not only do we have a fifth solo, we have a fifth solo by a different player. Congrats to hedge trimmer, who--for now--jumps up to 3rd in the league (July A is still ongoing).

-With another's loss, this leaves only one player--Groo--without any losses in D1. (July A is still pending though.)

-stew0610's 13-center loss as Austria is still worth 52 points under the PDL scoring system, meaning that--for now--he is 7th in the league with 152 points, behind only the 5 soloists and Groo. Just for reference, 152 points is the same point total as two eliminations and a 17-center 3way draw.

Now to sit back and wait for the last 4 games to conclude.

Oh, and I would be remiss if I did not add, good job by the league admins to keep this going all year!
jay65536

Postby Groo » 01 Oct 2020, 11:19

Yeaay, another 4 way for me. :|
I'm still baffled why Italy didn't want to go for a 2-way with me or at least a fat 3-way... I lost patience in the end. Well played by V and MasterGR, poor play by me in the late game, I guess.

Good italian solo in the other game, I was sure it would be one of the previous soloists, wp hedge trimmer!
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1612
All-game rating: 1880
Timezone: GMT

Postby jay65536 » 01 Oct 2020, 14:18

Oh wow, that was quick!

I also thought at one point that July A should have been an F/I 2way. I am still thinking it over but I think I know why it ended the way it did.

I hope both the July games have good AARs; both were fun and interesting to watch (except for the last few turns of A).

With the July games wrapping up I will try to get my “alt-scores” up soon. There seemed to be enough interest.
jay65536

Postby MasterGR » 01 Oct 2020, 19:29

Groo wrote:Yeaay, another 4 way for me. :|
I'm still baffled why Italy didn't want to go for a 2-way with me or at least a fat 3-way... I lost patience in the end. Well played by V and MasterGR, poor play by me in the late game, I guess.

Ha, if it makes you feel any better I have two 4-ways and a defeat. This was certainly my hardest-won 4-way in 2020 though! Crazy roller coaster. I know I did everything I could to make this a 4-way instead of a 3- or 2-way :twisted:
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1372
All-game rating: 1703
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby jay65536 » 01 Oct 2020, 21:02

The fact that you snuck into the draw here was an excellent piece of diplomacy.
jay65536

Postby Groo » 02 Oct 2020, 08:36

Not just diplomacy but tactics from both R and E as well. Kudos on a game well played. I guess I underestimated you guys and overestimated my position and my relationship with Italy in the end game.

I would really love to hear the AAR from Italy's pow
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
Groo

Standard rating: 1612
All-game rating: 1880
Timezone: GMT

Postby MasterGR » 02 Oct 2020, 08:49

Groo wrote:Not just diplomacy but tactics from both R and E as well. Kudos on a game well played. I guess I underestimated you guys and overestimated my position and my relationship with Italy in the end game.

I would really love to hear the AAR from Italy's pow

Thank you, you also played well but I understand why you lost your patience at the end. I would had been upset too at having to include a 2-center England! Agreed it was both diplomacy and tactics, as V wrote to me at some point "few players would be able to understand the complexity level of the end-game" (paraphrased for elaboration). Btw your fleet in Ska survived the final Spring thanks to a last moment change of heart I had on the orders!

You should start the AAR! I know I have a lot to say, so if nobody starts it soon I might do so over the weekend.
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR
Premium Member

Postby V » 02 Oct 2020, 14:30

Agreed it was both diplomacy and tactics, as V wrote to me at some point "few players would be able to understand the complexity level of the end-game" (paraphrased for elaboration).

I should probably add a note, giving context to that message. This was to a large extent in acknowledgement of the excellent game MasterGR was playing (often in face of adversity). Not only had the diplomacy/tactics become complicated by this stage, I anticipated it potentially getting ever more so.
If Italy & France had ended up in conflict (which I considered a very real possibility) the game could have stretched. At that point ER would have had to try & recover the Isles from the French & manage sufficient balance in fear of an Italian solo. MasterGR is a very skilled tactician & I was glad that if we were to attempt this phase of play, he would be on my side.

Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby MasterGR » 03 Oct 2020, 07:25

V wrote:I should probably add a note, giving context to that message. This was to a large extent in acknowledgement of the excellent game MasterGR was playing (often in face of adversity). Not only had the diplomacy/tactics become complicated by this stage, I anticipated it potentially getting ever more so.
If Italy & France had ended up in conflict (which I considered a very real possibility) the game could have stretched. At that point ER would have had to try & recover the Isles from the French & manage sufficient balance in fear of an Italian solo. MasterGR is a very skilled tactician & I was glad that if we were to attempt this phase of play, he would be on my side.

Best Regards V

Thanks V for the context and the compliments. Indeed at the time we were discussing the scenario where EIR vs F could end up liberating the Island while working to prevent an Italian solo. I adapted your statement a bit, but even though the game didn't end up going there I think your statement still does judgement to the end game that we had! It was not for the lighthearted, nor for the inexperienced.
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League