PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL 2020 Viewers Lounge

Postby Custer » 29 Jul 2020, 00:13

LMAO......nice.

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1069
All-game rating: 1194
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby jay65536 » 29 Jul 2020, 21:28

Looks like my earlier comment about only one D1 player having more than one non-loss result is already obsolete!

The D1 June game, rather surprisingly, ends in a quick 4way draw. I thought there might have been more play left, looking at the final board, but the players likely knew something I didn't.

Now there are three players (Martz, another, and Groo) with more than one non-loss, and Martz's result puts him back in the league lead, with another dropping to 2nd--and Groo now in 5th place, ahead of everyone except the 4 soloists.

hedge trimmer wrote:there's something weird going on when, like Jay wrote, in 6 D1 games there has been 4 solos. Perhaps it's the scoring system that has a small component of points per supply center that drives people to be more selfish, or perhaps it's having a few players in every game who more or less don't communicate at all (not in a meaningful way at least), but the games have been incredibly lopsided.

I can tell you, from personal experience with similar scoring systems, that the scoring system is not the culprit here. I have played quite a few tournaments under the Dixiecon system; it's not identical, but the basic mechanism (draw score plus center score, losses can earn points) is the same. My experience with those tournaments is that solos are rare--and furthermore, the most standard result is a 3way draw. So to see that in 7 games, not only are there 4 solos, but the other 3 results are all 4ways, strikes me as very atypical and something that I don't think is being driven by the scoring system. What is it? I couldn't say--especially since I'm not playing and don't have firsthand experience with the league environment.
jay65536

Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Custer » 29 Jul 2020, 23:12

Well then I suggest that next time you join in the fun.

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1069
All-game rating: 1194

Postby jay65536 » 29 Jul 2020, 23:40

Very likely I will play the first year my life circumstances allow. I would not commit to a league like this one unless I could be confident I would not have to drop out.
jay65536

Postby V » 30 Jul 2020, 14:56

jay65536 wrote:Looks like my earlier comment about only one D1 player having more than one non-loss result is already obsolete!

The D1 June game, rather surprisingly, ends in a quick 4way draw. I thought there might have been more play left, looking at the final board, but the players likely knew something I didn't.

Now there are three players (Martz, another, and Groo) with more than one non-loss, and Martz's result puts him back in the league lead, with another dropping to 2nd--and Groo now in 5th place, ahead of everyone except the 4 soloists.

hedge trimmer wrote:there's something weird going on when, like Jay wrote, in 6 D1 games there has been 4 solos. Perhaps it's the scoring system that has a small component of points per supply center that drives people to be more selfish, or perhaps it's having a few players in every game who more or less don't communicate at all (not in a meaningful way at least), but the games have been incredibly lopsided.

I can tell you, from personal experience with similar scoring systems, that the scoring system is not the culprit here. I have played quite a few tournaments under the Dixiecon system; it's not identical, but the basic mechanism (draw score plus center score, losses can earn points) is the same. My experience with those tournaments is that solos are rare--and furthermore, the most standard result is a 3way draw. So to see that in 7 games, not only are there 4 solos, but the other 3 results are all 4ways, strikes me as very atypical and something that I don't think is being driven by the scoring system. What is it? I couldn't say--especially since I'm not playing and don't have firsthand experience with the league environment.

This is conjecture, but might be valid. It could be the “league” aspect.
In the current situation there’s probably a handful of contenders with a good chance of first place. In any given contest there’s maybe 5 out of 7 that have the primary objective of league survival.

If a game scenario reaches a point where there could be say a 3 way, then one of the 4 “losers” will see that 3 opponents are looking to score 100+ points taking them clear of the relegation positions, making their situation for league survival more difficult.
Maybe better to hand over a solo, while gathering as many SC’s as possible from other participants? That way only one opponent scores well & they might not even be a relegation candidate anyway.
Of the other 6 the “Kingmaker” might do best, thereby boosting their survival chances even during defeat.

I have observed some apparently defeatist play & the above could explain it to some extent, plus the bout of solos experienced in D1. This isn’t a complaint, just mere conjecture. It is understood that every scoring system influences game play. In this case it could be the “ranking” system having an unexpected additional impact.

Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827

Postby TTBen » 31 Jul 2020, 16:11

jay65536 wrote:The D1 June game, rather surprisingly, ends in a quick 4way draw. I thought there might have been more play left, looking at the final board, but the players likely knew something I didn't.

I know there was more possible in the game, didn't necessarily expect others to accept the draw but I was worried I'd fall behind in communication due to real life so I was willing to take the draw if others were.
Inactive PbF GM (choosing to focus on other things)
Organizer for PDL 2021
TTBen
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1123
All-game rating: 1928

Postby jay65536 » 31 Jul 2020, 17:52

Oh, I am not too surprised that you voted it up. (You were Italy, right?) The most surprising was that Turkey did, and to a lesser extent England.
jay65536

Postby TTBen » 31 Jul 2020, 18:40

jay65536 wrote:Oh, I am not too surprised that you voted it up. (You were Italy, right?) The most surprising was that Turkey did, and to a lesser extent England.

Yes, I was. And the two powers you mention are clearly the ones I worried could stab me if I was the one holding out. Turkey especially just didn't seem to have a route other than through me, but he had surprised me most of the game not really opposing me at sea and he claimed he wanted to continue to work with me. I wish I had been able to convince Germany not to give Paris to England that final year, things would have certainly been more open to pushing for more
Inactive PbF GM (choosing to focus on other things)
Organizer for PDL 2021
TTBen
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1123
All-game rating: 1928

Postby jay65536 » 25 Aug 2020, 16:46

Without mentioning any specifics, both of these D1 July games have been fun to watch throughout the midgame.
jay65536

Postby MasterGR » 25 Aug 2020, 18:02

jay65536 wrote:Without mentioning any specifics, both of these D1 July games have been fun to watch throughout the midgame.

Always glad to entertain!
Gold Classicists member
MasterGR
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1372
All-game rating: 1703
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League