PDL - A fixture suggestion - replies wanted

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

PDL - A fixture suggestion - replies wanted

Postby mjparrett » 21 Jun 2019, 18:16

Hi all

If the PlayDip Diplomacy League (PDL) gets up and running again in 2020, one thing that has been bothering me is the fixture list. One of the failings of PDL1 in the rules was fixtures - too many games against the same exact group of people.

To give some brief background, the PDL is a league aimed at playing people of a similar ability, but with promotions/relegations thrown in to make matters more exciting. The debate comes from the optimum amount of people in a league, and how many games would constitute a season. Too few and the league premise doesn't really work; it is more a cup style competition which means the best player won't always win (over a longer league season the best will rise to the top). However you don't want it to drag on too long, or to be playing the same 6 people for games on end (with all the meta gaming that might come with that unintentionally).

A suggestion from Woolgie is this:

24 players per league. 3 games set up with 21 players, meaning 3 players miss out each round. Over 8 rounds everyone will play 7 games and have one missed round. This should limit the amount of time you play the same people (generally you will play everyone twice but I believe there will be the odd player you only meet once). To keep things to a year (or 9 month) long season, you could kick off 2 rounds at the same time, so you would generally be playing two PDL games at any one time.

Whilst it answers some problems, others arise. Would the amount of games put people off? I know some people don't like paying 2 games at the same time for example. If there was a slight overlap due to long games or pause requests, you could conceivably be playing 4 PDL games at the same time as your two round 1 games finish and your two round 2 games start.

If we also think that people in league 2 might be asked to step up to league 1 to replace surrenders (although I am still hoping a league without surrenders can exist!) then there is a chance someone could be overwhelmed with games.

Part of me likes it. The more games per season the better in as much as it will give a better reflection of ability, and promotions/relegations will be that bit more "deserved". Part of me worries it will put too many people off and we won't get 48 lovely souls to fill two leagues.

Over to you all. Comments welcome, including whether or not you would play with the above proposal, or if you have an alternative suggestion. In my mind there should be at least 4 games per season to give it a league feel, and a minimum amount of meeting the same people.

Cheers
Mike
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1488)
All-game rating: (1524)
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL - A fixture suggestion - replies wanted

Postby AKFD » 21 Jun 2019, 18:19

I'm new to PDL, but are the games Anon Countries?

That way Woolgie's suggestion would work pretty well and it would reduce metagaming.
Silver Classicist!

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (830)
All-game rating: (764)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Woolgie » 21 Jun 2019, 18:35

I still prefer my proposal above, but I should add I'm also working up an alternate option.

21 players per division, seven rounds but everyone only plays four games. No one plays anyone else three times, but it does mean most people never play 5 of the others in their division. Across four games you'll have a possible 24 opponents - you'll play 4-6 people never, 8-10 people once and 4-8 people twice. You also may end up playing back to back rounds which start only 4 weeks apart. It's a little messy but it's the only way to get the number of games down to four without continually playing the same people.

Please therefore consider the previous proposal (7 games per person, 24 players per league) as the most rounded option. But if the number of games is a problem we do have this alternative.
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 920

Postby mjparrett » 21 Jun 2019, 18:47

AKFD wrote:I'm new to PDL, but are the games Anon Countries?

That way Woolgie's suggestion would work pretty well and it would reduce metagaming.

Yes they are Anon countries. Which helps, but after a couple of games you quickly get a feel for who is who. or who is whom. Or something like that.
mjparrett

Standard rating: (1488)
All-game rating: (1524)

Postby AKFD » 21 Jun 2019, 19:05

mjparrett wrote:
AKFD wrote:I'm new to PDL, but are the games Anon Countries?

Yes they are Anon countries. Which helps, but after a couple of games you quickly get a feel for who is who. or who is whom. Or something like that.

Ah yes.

Should we ask PDL players how many games they can play? That way we can get an idea of how many games per season.
Silver Classicist!

AKFD

Postby V » 21 Jun 2019, 19:09

Hi Mike, Woolgie & All,

7 games is too many for me, but I could well be very much in the minority on this point. 4 games I can handle as per 2018 commitment,

Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: (1718)
All-game rating: (1754)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby AKFD » 21 Jun 2019, 19:15

V wrote:Hi Mike, Woolgie & All,

7 games is too many for me, but I could well be very much in the minority on this point. 4 games I can handle as per 2018 commitment,

Best Regards V

I agree. Especially for those without premium. My premium membership is expiring in 2 months, so I really need only 4 games.
Silver Classicist!

AKFD

Postby Woolgie » 21 Jun 2019, 19:38

20 out of 35 respondents said four games was about right.

Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 920

Postby V » 21 Jun 2019, 19:44

I can’t see parts of each question but guessing the missing information.
My priorities would be playing as many different people as possible (fewest repeats) 4 games per season seemed right in my opinion & a break at the end of the year, because I don’t play over Christmas holidays.

Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: (1718)
All-game rating: (1754)

Postby Custer » 22 Jun 2019, 01:13

6 games is better. And no break.

Games start 1 July. Lets go!

Chop, chop!

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1108
All-game rating: 1071

Next

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League