PDL - take two?

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL - take two?

Postby V » 12 Jun 2019, 21:41

“Steering Group”. Haven’t you heard the good old saying, “If you really want to screw things up, then form a committee”?
Mike’s creation of PDL in the first place would almost certainly not have happened by committee. I suggest it is largely left to Mike to devise the structure, with minimal outside interference. The sign ups will show if he got it right (63+ last time was exceptional) & as long as the endless quitters are eliminated & replaced quickly without drama all will be fine.
Just a view of course, importantly Mike might like committees. In which case good luck to the “steering group”.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Iamnobody » 12 Jun 2019, 21:49

I would be interested in joining. I would need to know how many simultaneous games we may be involved with though.
Heptarchy XVI - Wales - 6-way draw
Days of Enlightenment II - Sweden - Currently playing
Iamnobody

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 1029
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Woolgie » 12 Jun 2019, 22:01

V wrote:“Steering Group”. Haven’t you heard the good old saying, “If you really want to screw things up, then form a committee”?

I was thinking more just to spare mj some of the stress of running things if we agree to split the roles among a group.
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

All-game rating: 926
Timezone: GMT

Postby V » 12 Jun 2019, 22:15

That could indeed serve us well. Volunteers to set up fixtures (I recall one guy particularly good at maths volunteering) & maybe other duties like maintaining league tables, all would be excellent to relieve Mike of endless admin.
One role I could embrace is Secretary responsible for notification messages of elimination, destined for those who fail to turn up in the middle of contests:-)
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Woolgie » 12 Jun 2019, 22:17

Fixture lists / game sequencing are my bag and I’d happily deputise on that if mj remains Chairman.

...and we start to have a plan.
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

All-game rating: 926

Postby WarSmith » 12 Jun 2019, 22:46

Pootleflump wrote:Is the person at the top of PDL 1 hereby crowned Queen of Everything, and deserving of whatever she wants? 8-) :lol:

No!
I believe what should’ve happened was that the top two players in the league at the end (noted also the only two who solo’d, and were clearly the most intelligent, entertaining and also attractive players) should’ve played a 2P game as a ‘Grand Final’ (like what happens in rugby, American sports etc). That would’ve been a great ending!
Still doable also ;)

Oh - and I’d love to play in PDL again!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1725
All-game rating: 1712
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby mjparrett » 13 Jun 2019, 00:45

Well PDL 1 never finished... although I think all the round 3 games did I think (league table just out of date). Greggybear got a respectable 2 way draw in his third (and me a loss in the same game...) so I think Pootle is the unofficial PDL 2018 champion. Played 3, no losses to her name and one very impressive solo. Well done Pootleflump!

Yes 2020 i think is a sensible start point, gives us a chance to really see if we can make this work. Someone to help plan fixtures is exactly what I need (especially someone who can plan whatever league I end up in). Other than that it is just setting up games, and updating tables so not much help needed. A solid plan for replacements is to be strived for but very hard to actually achieve. Hopefully anyone that played 2018 that returns will know what they are signing up for and be dedicated. As for new players... make it ambassador only? I don't want to get too elitist etc., but that is a decent measure of reliability and is not hard to achieve. Thoughts?
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1512
All-game rating: 1550

Postby Charleroi » 13 Jun 2019, 03:20

I am definitely back in.

Echoing what some others have said, I think the easiest way to deal with drop outs is to have the top player from the game below jump in and play multiples simultaneously. Alternatively (although this would open it up to more metagaming) other players in the same league could volunteer to fill in a subs but wouldn't be able to score in the game as a sub.
Charleroi

Standard rating: 1577
All-game rating: 1648
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby The SHIV » 13 Jun 2019, 03:47

Count me in. Can't see why this takes so long though. 1 August should be plenty of time. Less talk and more play! :twisted:

Game on! ;)

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1126
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby AKFD » 13 Jun 2019, 03:51

I'd love to join!
Silver Classicist!

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD

Standard rating: 830
All-game rating: 768
Timezone: GMT+8

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League