PDL NEWSFLASH

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL NEWSFLASH

Postby mjparrett » 14 Aug 2018, 00:49

Sorry had another pdl 1 resignation. Too much hassle organising all this, and to be honest it has taken a lot of the game enjoyment away for me recently

A league is pointless when so many people drop out. The league table just doesn’t make sense when so many people appear half way through. Apologies to do this to those who enjoy it. And by all means someone else can attempt to take over the reigns. But round 4 won’t be happening and neither will year 2 with me in charge

Peace and Love
Mike
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1474
All-game rating: 1514
Timezone: GMT

Postby V » 14 Aug 2018, 02:16

Hi Mike,

Not unexpected, it got ridiculous. My sympathies for the huge effort expended organising the best thing to happen on PlayDip in the years I’ve participated here. Great try & thanks.

Cheers V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby lb1785 » 14 Aug 2018, 14:45

Hi Mike,

Very sorry to read you're giving up on this fantastic league idea, though I perfectly understand why. I know I have enjoyed the concept very much.

I think we should explore the possibility to reboot the league next year, maybe under another format (2 leagues with only those from past years with a proven record, more reserves, or people signing up in pairs from league 1 and 2 pledging to sub for one another ?).

Anyway, let me stress again that I appreciate very much the time and effort you've put behind organizing this league, and I hope to hear from you on the forum or ingame very soon.

Best regards,

LB1785
"Mon Dieu, gardez-moi de mes amis. Quant à mes ennemis, je m'en charge !" (Voltaire)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." (Winston Churchill)
Silver Classicist
3-way draw as The Mondoshawans in Invasion Earth
lb1785

Standard rating: (1444)
All-game rating: (1450)

Postby Charleroi » 14 Aug 2018, 17:24

Mike,

Thanks for putting this together and for putting up with all of the managerial challenges that must have demanded for the past nine months. The league, although it won't continue, has seen some truly great play. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to play these games. You deserve a proper vacation now.
Charleroi
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1554
All-game rating: 1723
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby mjparrett » 14 Aug 2018, 17:37

I'm more than happy to work with someone on this. And thanks for the people who have offered, and those I have been PMing about sharing some of the load.

But in my mind (and I hope the people who have left don't take this to heart), but you can't have a league where people quit on such a regular basis. I think I have lost roughly 15 players since round 1. Almost a full league! A few people from league 2 were going to get early promotion and move to league 1 (and likewise for 3 moving to 2), but the tables just become a joke.

I have (mainly!) enjoyed trying to get this up and running. The play has generally been good. Getting my least favourite country Germany in EVERY round less so. But it has caused a few huffs, some unfair accusations, and just too many resignations. I understand that people didn't know exactly what it would be like until we started, but even so... Do you bring it back for ambassador or classicist only? Maybe (although about a third of the quitters were at that status) so I just don't know how to make it a success.

What I do know is, there is a large-ish pool of very good players out there who won't quit though, and who I sadly didn't get the chance to play recently. I'll possibly be setting up an invitational game shortly in the future to rectify that.

Mike
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1474
All-game rating: 1514

Postby Pootleflump » 14 Aug 2018, 18:19

Mike, you have been the perfect TD. You've put so much work in and created something that was (for the most part) pretty epic. Some very memorable games.

No-one anticipated the number of drop outs. :cry:

I hope the league continues in some shape or form next year and if I can do anything to help, let me know.

THANK YOU for being awesome.

And my in-box is open should anyone wish to organise a similarly epic game of brilliant, league-one-type people, and invite little old Poots along.
Pootleflump

Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878

Postby duckling » 14 Aug 2018, 18:30

Very sorry to hear that. Thanks for all the effort, setting it up and keeping it floating this far, though.

I think Mike is right: running a league under these conditions is futile.

One might’ve hoped that commitment would be stronger the higher up we got, but with several drop outs from L1 that theory is out the window. Originally, I thought maybe running 2 leagues only would’ve been a better start, but I see that it wouldn’t have helped much.
duckling

Standard rating: (1130)
All-game rating: (1176)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Shyvve » 14 Aug 2018, 20:04

Mike,

I just wanted to echo the sentiment expressed here by a number of the players which were in fact committed to the League concept. This was a good thing. And you are to be commended for your hard work in putting this thing together and doing all you could (while also maintaining your sanity) to keep the damn thing afloat.

I've personally been taking a bit of a break from Diplomacy lately (although I was looking forward to Round 4's start). But, enough was just enough with the dropouts. Unfortunate and completely understandable. When trying to keep this enterprise running began to detract from your enjoyment of the game, Mike...then it's time to just take a step back.

On the bright side, we were able to manage three Rounds, in three divisions, of pretty decent games. And some truly excellent games were played too. I do think there is enough interest, and enough of a core of committed players, for this League concept to continue on. So, yeah, the inaugural season had its challenges. We know what we're up against now but we also know there's a cadre of folks are committed and would like to see the League continue (with whatever modifications to its structure are necessary).

And, we've got roughly four months to discuss, advertise, and codify the structure for next year. As mentioned above, two divisions of 21 players each might be the 'sweet spot'. Surely there are 42 players amongst us, who, barring really life-changing circumstances or some such, could commit to four good games per year with like-minded, and comparably ranked, players.

Anyway, thank you again, Mike. Count me in as one interested in keeping this thing going.
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1313
All-game rating: 1345
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby V » 15 Aug 2018, 00:12

I’d like to suggest that if/when we try this again a replacement process is established using only league participants & predefined criteria. Mike having to run around recruiting FIFTEEN new players DURING games was damn ridiculous.

If someone quits, the replacement has to be identified immediately based on the chosen criteria & installed immediately, even if it requires that individual to temporarily play two games simultaneously in different leagues. At the start of each round places can be allocated including new participants from a pool of those waiting.

When we sign up we agree not only NOT TO QUIT, but also to this process & the possibility that the criteria might select you as the replacement & requisite double duty. Games would thus be uninterrupted & the search for participants limited to between rounds (if at all).

Quitting would still ruin the league table aspect of the competition to some extent, but again predefined rules for promotion/relegation etc could be agreed to mitigate the damage. I know Mike has already worked out a set of those which looked good on first sight.

I’m happy to take on administrative duties, such as creating games, sending passwords to participants, chasing those that don’t join games, updating league tables, notifying folks when they have to step in to fill a quitter’s spot, etc.
I admit to not be very techy so if anything gets complicated in that manner I’ll need teaching.

This league concept has been great & with an ounce of discipline & commitment would have worked brilliantly. Thanks again to Mike for putting it together. We do have a pool of proven reliable folks available for a second attempt. We have someone that has already demonstrated ability at fixture setting. Much of Mike’s work on scoring etc has been shown to be worth retaining. If folks are interested in a second try I’ll contribute as I can to make it work, without the BS Mike has had to accommodate.

Best Regards to all PDL (non-quitters). Thanks for the great games, V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby DirtyHarry » 15 Aug 2018, 05:20

Damn. Mike, you made one hell of an effort with this, and I'm just really disappointed with the number of people who joined the league but then backed out ... it's such a shame. It was a great concept and actually executed brilliantly, but no one could expect so many committing and then dropping out.

I wish I had time to help out, but I already get too many Diplomacy related side-long looks from the wife at this point ...

You are a joy to play with, and this league will be legendary despite it's short life.
DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1359
All-game rating: 1391
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League