PDL NEWSFLASH

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL NEWSFLASH

Postby mjparrett » 15 Aug 2018, 13:17

18. Eighteen! That's how many people have quit from the start (two didn't even make board 1 so I was getting replacements even then). Now some of them (hats off) sent me a PM saying "I'm going to quit". At least that way I had the chance to get a replacement lined up. But the vast majority (I think 15/18) have just quit from their game! And I have had to rely on others PMing me, or the fact these games are on my watch list and I look once a week or so to notice. But if someone quits and no-one tells me... well it could be two days before I see it and a turn has processed. And then someone jumps into the game that wasn't invited (despite the LEAGUE MEMBERS ONLY description ffs). And it is all downhill from there.

So thanks for all the sentiments guys. I don't need them, although appreciated. But until someone can get it such that we don't have resignations (save the one or two that happen for RL issues) then I don't think you will get any further with this.

M
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524
Timezone: GMT

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 15 Aug 2018, 13:29

I kinda feel like anything this size spread out over 6 months, is going to have several RL resignations.
Surrenders are unacceptable though.
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby jay65536 » 16 Aug 2018, 19:38

For what it's worth, as someone who's been following, I think the only way to have a "league" is to re-imagine what purpose a league would/should serve and re-align it accordingly. In particular I don't think having a "league" that's a multitude of small tournaments is a good idea in an online setting. If mj's great efforts were not enough to stop people quitting, then I think that serves as pretty good evidence that resignations are going to be an inherent problem in this kind of structure, and if people want to have a league we should attempt to restructure it accordingly.

mj, if you don't want to give up on having a league, I have some ideas of my own about the above paragraph; feel free to PM me.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby The SHIV » 17 Aug 2018, 20:59

Lets hear it.

I say make it Classicists. And if they quit they're out of the Classicists as well. Need some incentive.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1100

Postby NJLonghorn » 17 Aug 2018, 21:35

Mike,

Thanks for your hard work in keeping the league open as long as you did. Recruiting replacements proved to be a ridiculously large amount of work, and I don't blame you for bailing at this point.

That said, I think we can salvage this year by allowing players to be in multiple leagues for round 4. I'm not sure how many openings there are at the moment, but I'd be willing to take on a game from League 1 or League 3 (but not both), on top of my own League 2 game. I'm sure others would do the same. If more players drop out, we should all agree to unite in heaping shame on them (jk), after which someone from another PDL league can step in. We can play the games out and see who wins the leagues, even if the results are more than a little tainted.

After that, we can rethink a structure for next year. There are lots of ideas on the table, and there's no reason to rush to a decision now.

Jeffrey
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)

Postby NJLonghorn » 17 Aug 2018, 21:38

The SHIV wrote:Lets hear it.

I say make it Classicists. And if they quit they're out of the Classicists as well. Need some incentive.

The SHIV

Don't get me started. If I ran the zoo, ambassador status would be a prerequisite to playing ranked games. Quit a game, and you have to play unranked games until you re-prove yourself.

But that's just me, lol.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)

Postby V » 17 Aug 2018, 21:56

The SHIV

The last quitter in PDL1 is a Platinum Classicist! So much for reliability in that department...
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Strategus » 17 Aug 2018, 22:14

V wrote:

The SHIV

The last quitter in PDL1 is a Platinum Classicist! So much for reliability in that department...

I had my reasons. Don't judge.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1708
Timezone: GMT

Postby WarSmith » 17 Aug 2018, 22:31

I just want to say thanks to Mike for putting in all the effort!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1725
All-game rating: 1712
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby V » 18 Aug 2018, 02:47

GPD wrote:
V wrote:

The SHIV

I had my reasons. Don't judge.

No judgement made. Just that being a Classicist didn’t appear to help.. Your reasons are your business.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Previous

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League