PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby NJLonghorn » 27 Jun 2018, 16:16

boldblade wrote:Speaking of what this thread is really for:

1.1 - Fun looking game here. Going to be a solo if Russia and Austria don't make nice with each other. Probably need Germany and/or Turkey too. I'm putting my money on a solo or a 4-way draw here.

1.2 - 90% sure this will be a 3 way draw. Also worst shoutbox ever. - 5 points for all for that reason alone.

1.3 - This game is a sham. -40 points to Jim for being a... nevermind. -100 to the admins for being worse. +10 points to Germany for being inappropriately whittled. -10 points to Germany for believing in the WT.

2.1 - Lol

2.2 - You're goddamn right

2.3 - I think I wanted to say something about this earlier when it finished. Probably make fun of it but I was too focused on trying to get the first league 2 win so...

3.1 - Nice try Turkey

3.2 - Really hoping for a stab and solo. Pretty sure this will be another 2-way.

3.3 - Nice try Austria


Yes, this is what the viewer's lounge is for, and I think it is both appropriate and enjoyable. I particularly like when posters put in maps (or at least links) so that readers can easily view what it is you are talking about. WIthout that, it can be a pain to move from post to game and back again.

I do agree with Jimbobicus's concern that this thread can corrupt a game, and we all have to be careful about that. In fact, I think one of boldblade's comments comes close to being undue coaching -- where he says game 1.1 is looking like a solo "if Russia and Austria don't make nice with each other". It is a league 1 game so what you say won't come as news to anyone, but I would've stopped short of saying that.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
User avatar
NJLonghorn
 
Posts: 288
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 23:41
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby boldblade » 27 Jun 2018, 16:27

Pootleflump wrote:I like you boldblade (especially that tendency to modesty and being humble ;) ), but sometimes you put up some utter tosspot posts.


LMAO. What makes my post an utter tosspot (am I saying that right?)
boldblade
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 05 Feb 2014, 17:33
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby boldblade » 27 Jun 2018, 16:43

NJLonghorn wrote:Yes, this is what the viewer's lounge is for, and I think it is both appropriate and enjoyable. I particularly like when posters put in maps (or at least links) so that readers can easily view what it is you are talking about. WIthout that, it can be a pain to move from post to game and back again.


You are absolutely right. I have edited to add links. I didn't do it initially because I was being lazy and had never figured out how to add links like that on here but I now know!

NJLonghorn wrote:I do agree with Jimbobicus's concern that this thread can corrupt a game, and we all have to be careful about that. In fact, I think one of boldblade's comments comes close to being undue coaching -- where he says game 1.1 is looking like a solo "if Russia and Austria don't make nice with each other". It is a league 1 game so what you say won't come as news to anyone, but I would've stopped short of saying that.


I have to assume what I said is nothing anyone in the game doesn't already know. Also what good is commentary if you can't comment on what you want to see or what you think should happen. The board makes it clear that what I said is true. Whether or not it happens has nothing to do with my bringing attention to it and everything to do with the ability of the powers to manage the necessary diplomatic discussions in game to make it so.
boldblade
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 05 Feb 2014, 17:33
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby Pootleflump » 27 Jun 2018, 16:45

boldblade wrote:
Pootleflump wrote:LMAO. What makes my post an utter tosspot (am I saying that right?)


Depends on whether you're using your best Glaswegian accent, 'ya total eedgitin' tosspot'. :lol:
User avatar
Pootleflump
 
Posts: 485
Joined: 28 Feb 2017, 22:21
Location: Scotland
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby boldblade » 27 Jun 2018, 16:47

Pootleflump wrote:Depends on whether you're using your best Glaswegian accent, 'ya total eedgitin' tosspot'. :lol:

I was... but my best is terrible.
boldblade
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 05 Feb 2014, 17:33
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby NJLonghorn » 27 Jun 2018, 17:59

boldblade wrote:I have to assume what I said is nothing anyone in the game doesn't already know. Also what good is commentary if you can't comment on what you want to see or what you think should happen. The board makes it clear that what I said is true. Whether or not it happens has nothing to do with my bringing attention to it and everything to do with the ability of the powers to manage the necessary diplomatic discussions in game to make it so.


Yes, and that's why I thought your comment came close to the line but didn't cross it. If this was a lower-ranked game, I might feel differently. Those guys up in league 1 aren't noobs.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
User avatar
NJLonghorn
 
Posts: 288
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 23:41
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby jay65536 » 27 Jun 2018, 18:42

jimbobicus wrote:
V wrote:If you check order history there was no effective attack in progress on Russia & in fact the diplomacy at end game, centred around Russia reluctantly accepting there would be no further whittling of Germany, or England, so the likely result became a 5-way (definitely including Russia). I’m sure for some it was not considered the preferred outcome, but as far as I know everyone appeared reconciled (with no obvious alternative).
Then he supported Italy into a German SC & screwed up, throwing the game. I never stated the kingmaking was necessarily intentional (hell, I don’t know what he was thinking at the time) but I’m not sure it being accidental is a saving grace, or an even bigger indictment.
There was no stab on Russia, motivating & justifying him throwing the game, he just screwed up. As he just did as Turkey in round 3.


Since you've now taken to attacking me in the forums, I guess I should chime in...
1. This is a good example of the kind of reason why I wanted to leave the game.... - The unnecessary personal attacks and letting it interfere with the game. You form opinions about other players at the start - who you like; who you don't and then see everything through that lens. I don't mind taking a bit of flack but if you want to criticise me, then
a) You should make it accurate. The above passage is not. You can check the order history - at no time did the EFG alliance in that game make any deal with me which they then kept to. The closest we got was a year from the end, I thought I'd agreed a deal with France and Germany only for them to stab me again.
b) There is already an AAR thread for that game. So not sure why you want to discuss it here - unless you wanted to pick a space out of my sight - in a thread I wasn't aware of until just now.
c) You shouldn't let this kind of personal nonsense interfere with the game. Despite us not seeing eye-to-eye, I'm always prepared to put personal differences and work together with someone if it's in my best interests. And above all, that is the key point where we diverge.

2. I'm not sure what this thread is even doing here? We shouldn't be discussing games while they are still continuing. I know this may seem ironic coming from the person who has been kicked out the game for breaking site rules. Although, in my defence, I didn't know that I was breaking the rules - and it seems an odd rule anyway. I'm sure there'd be lots of people here who have allowed family members or friends to see their games, contribute their thoughts etc and perhaps even play while they are on holiday or at times when they are too busy. As long as none of these friends or family have their own accounts on the site and are potential opponents, then I'm not seeing what the big issue was there. Although the mods disagreed - so presumably I'm missing something here. Also I won't complain too much - for the reasons already stated, I'm happy to be out.

3. Jay65536 - going back to our game (briefly - although there is an AAR for that too)... But I will draw a slight comparison to here. I think a key part of your decision not to go for 3 way RFT ending was that the person you felt the closest to was England and didn't want to stab him - correct I assume?


As far as the V's part of this quote, there is an AAR for that game, as jimbob points out, and in that thread nobody really called him out for solo-throwing. (I was following and waiting to read more about what happened in that game.) If you had such an issue with his decision to throw the solo, why not talk about it there? For my part, I'll just say that it was clear to me following the game that throwing the solo was justified by the actions of the players as a whole. If I were in Russia's position in that game after Spring 08, I might have done it even more quickly but I almost certainly would have done it.

jimbob, as far as the bolded, if you want to talk about our game anymore, you can revive the AAR--I'll still check it--but your assumption is definitely not correct. As I painstakingly tried to explain in the AAR already, ultimately my decision was based on the absence of trust in France, as opposed to the presence of trust in England, combined with the fact that I really do not care very much about draw-whittling (in non-tournament settings).

Also, as far as this debate about whether our commentary is affecting the games, I tend to err on the side of believing it can. There's a reason I didn't say anything about playing Turkey against a Western Triple until after it looked like it was breaking down, and after jimbob had been surrendered. I think the idea that our commentary can't affect the play of the games because the players are "too good" not to see what we're talking about is fallacious. I can still recall watching the PDET top board where, as an outsider, I sometimes felt like the players were ignoring weaknesses in their positions that I could see, and usually those weaknesses ended up being exploited. You never know when someone else would have missed something that you can see!
jay65536
 
Posts: 487
Joined: 10 Sep 2016, 18:13
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby Nanook » 27 Jun 2018, 19:40

Generally speaking the rule of thumb for spectator posts like this are that vague is fine, specifics (i.e., “if he cuts Hol he can force Bel and walk into Paris!”) are less fine. You can talk about generalities, don’t point out specific plans, cause that’s not really fair to the players in the game.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
 
Posts: 10833
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: East TN
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby V » 27 Jun 2018, 19:47

[/quote] As far as the V's part of this quote, there is an AAR for that game, as jimbob points out, and in that thread nobody really called him out for solo-throwing. (I was following and waiting to read more about what happened in that game.) If you had such an issue with his decision to throw the solo, why not talk about it there?[/quote]

This is why I don’t participate in AAR’s. Words in mouth don’t taste nice when put there by others...
I didn’t have “such an issue with his decision to throw the solo”! There was nothing to contribute.

He said it was a “miscalculation” & not even a “decision”. Who am I to dispute such a statement be true or false?
Assuming he isn’t lying then it’s a simple screw up. As is playing two people on one PlayDip account in contravention of site rules. My sole statement (which is entirely incontrovertible) is that in consecutive PDL1 games he screwed up. Once by his own admission, then by site moderator verdict to be admin_surrendered. I didn’t (& will not) discuss the rest of what I consider irrelevant drivel.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V
 
Posts: 750
Joined: 04 May 2014, 21:28
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby Nanook » 27 Jun 2018, 19:51

This is speaking purely 100% as a player...maybe you guys can take your argument elsewhere, and let this thread continue to be a spectating thread for games instead spectating arguments.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
User avatar
Nanook
 
Posts: 10833
Joined: 19 Jun 2014, 19:52
Location: East TN
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest