PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby boldblade » 25 Jun 2018, 20:13

The communication we got was that he requested a sub. Things could well be different going forward.
boldblade

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)
Timezone: GMT

Postby duckling » 25 Jun 2018, 20:47

The communication we got was that he requested a sub. Things could well be different going forward.

Ah, that real life.. if it would only not get into the way of important things all the time.
duckling

Standard rating: (1130)
All-game rating: (1176)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Nanook » 25 Jun 2018, 22:03

Yeah, I’ll be back for round 4! Round 3 just started at about the worst time possible for me...which is why I signed on as a sub to begin with way back in January, rather than a full time participant ;)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby V » 26 Jun 2018, 00:52

boldblade wrote:
jay65536 wrote:
You mean the one where he correctly threw a solo because someone stupidly tried to cut him out of the draw? I don't see anything wrong with that one. Whose idea was it to stab him when it was within his power to throw a solo?

Indeed I suspect that is the one V was criticizing.

Yeah, that’s the one I had in mind.
If you check order history there was no effective attack in progress on Russia & in fact the diplomacy at end game, centred around Russia reluctantly accepting there would be no further whittling of Germany, or England, so the likely result became a 5-way (definitely including Russia). I’m sure for some it was not considered the preferred outcome, but as far as I know everyone appeared reconciled (with no obvious alternative).
Then he supported Italy into a German SC & screwed up, throwing the game. I never stated the kingmaking was necessarily intentional (hell, I don’t know what he was thinking at the time) but I’m not sure it being accidental is a saving grace, or an even bigger indictment.
There was no stab on Russia, motivating & justifying him throwing the game, he just screwed up. As he just did as Turkey in round 3.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby boldblade » 26 Jun 2018, 18:03

V wrote:Indeed an great solo opportunity. Looks like the round 3 solo rate could be excellent.

I don't think this will turn out to be true unfortunately. Hoping for a surprise though.
boldblade

Postby jimbobicus » 27 Jun 2018, 08:55

V wrote:
boldblade wrote:
jay65536 wrote:
You mean the one where he correctly threw a solo because someone stupidly tried to cut him out of the draw? I don't see anything wrong with that one. Whose idea was it to stab him when it was within his power to throw a solo?

Indeed I suspect that is the one V was criticizing.

Yeah, that’s the one I had in mind.
If you check order history there was no effective attack in progress on Russia & in fact the diplomacy at end game, centred around Russia reluctantly accepting there would be no further whittling of Germany, or England, so the likely result became a 5-way (definitely including Russia). I’m sure for some it was not considered the preferred outcome, but as far as I know everyone appeared reconciled (with no obvious alternative).
Then he supported Italy into a German SC & screwed up, throwing the game. I never stated the kingmaking was necessarily intentional (hell, I don’t know what he was thinking at the time) but I’m not sure it being accidental is a saving grace, or an even bigger indictment.
There was no stab on Russia, motivating & justifying him throwing the game, he just screwed up. As he just did as Turkey in round 3.

Since you've now taken to attacking me in the forums, I guess I should chime in...
1. This is a good example of the kind of reason why I wanted to leave the game.... - The unnecessary personal attacks and letting it interfere with the game. You form opinions about other players at the start - who you like; who you don't and then see everything through that lens. I don't mind taking a bit of flack but if you want to criticise me, then
a) You should make it accurate. The above passage is not. You can check the order history - at no time did the EFG alliance in that game make any deal with me which they then kept to. The closest we got was a year from the end, I thought I'd agreed a deal with France and Germany only for them to stab me again.
b) There is already an AAR thread for that game. So not sure why you want to discuss it here - unless you wanted to pick a space out of my sight - in a thread I wasn't aware of until just now.
c) You shouldn't let this kind of personal nonsense interfere with the game. Despite us not seeing eye-to-eye, I'm always prepared to put personal differences and work together with someone if it's in my best interests. And above all, that is the key point where we diverge.

2. I'm not sure what this thread is even doing here? We shouldn't be discussing games while they are still continuing. I know this may seem ironic coming from the person who has been kicked out the game for breaking site rules. Although, in my defence, I didn't know that I was breaking the rules - and it seems an odd rule anyway. I'm sure there'd be lots of people here who have allowed family members or friends to see their games, contribute their thoughts etc and perhaps even play while they are on holiday or at times when they are too busy. As long as none of these friends or family have their own accounts on the site and are potential opponents, then I'm not seeing what the big issue was there. Although the mods disagreed - so presumably I'm missing something here. Also I won't complain too much - for the reasons already stated, I'm happy to be out.

3. Jay65536 - going back to our game (briefly - although there is an AAR for that too)... But I will draw a slight comparison to here. I think a key part of your decision not to go for 3 way RFT ending was that the person you felt the closest to was England and didn't want to stab him - correct I assume? But it was worth bearing in mind that for me, I think the person I was closest to was Italy and I was prepared to attack him. Then in an RFT ending, with none of us all that close to each other, I think that's a pretty fair deal for us all. Especially for you, since my relationship with France hadn't been easy throughout the game - he'd consistently done the opposite of what I wanted (which of course he was perfectly entitled to do - but you see my point).

I see this as all part of an increasing trend towards a style of diplomacy whereby at the start of the game it's a race to be chummy with people, you make alliances based on personal friendships instead of the board and then play the rest of the game based on these. To me that makes a very boring game, but also isn't the way I'd like to play either.
V, if we take your example, to build up these personal friendships, you tell people about your life etc... I don't want to be doing that kind of thing. No offence to anybody here, but I want to keep the personal details of my life private. Also, I'm here to play a board game with like-minded people rather than make friends. I have enough friends already in real life.
"A friend to all is a friend to none" - Aristotle
jimbobicus

Standard rating: (1742)
All-game rating: (1662)

Postby V » 27 Jun 2018, 14:19

I have no comment on the verbage above.
I merely pointed out you screwed up as Russia in round 2 by you claim “miscalculating” a suicidal play & subsequently screwed up as Turkey in round 3 by breaching site rules. Someone else criticised your round 3 efforts. I merely pointed out they weren’t an exception. It appears we are both happy with the outcome however.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby boldblade » 27 Jun 2018, 14:41

jimbobicus wrote:2. I'm not sure what this thread is even doing here? We shouldn't be discussing games while they are still continuing. I know this may seem ironic coming from the person who has been kicked out the game for breaking site rules. Although, in my defence, I didn't know that I was breaking the rules - and it seems an odd rule anyway. I'm sure there'd be lots of people here who have allowed family members or friends to see their games, contribute their thoughts etc and perhaps even play while they are on holiday or at times when they are too busy. As long as none of these friends or family have their own accounts on the site and are potential opponents, then I'm not seeing what the big issue was there. Although the mods disagreed - so presumably I'm missing something here. Also I won't complain too much - for the reasons already stated, I'm happy to be out.

I think the players in the games are not supposed to discuss them but it is fun commenting on them as an outsider.

And as for your situation, I think I'm more pissed about it than you. Dumbest thing I have seen the mods of this site do yet. Although I also think your desire to withdraw from the game is easily the dumbest thing I have ever seen you do so I am pissed all around.
boldblade

Postby boldblade » 27 Jun 2018, 15:23

Speaking of what this thread is really for:

1.1 - Fun looking game here. Going to be a solo if Russia and Austria don't make nice with each other. Probably need Germany and/or Turkey too. I'm putting my money on a solo or a 4-way draw here.

1.2 - 90% sure this will be a 3 way draw. Also worst shoutbox ever. - 5 points for all for that reason alone.

1.3 - This game is a sham. -40 points to Jim for being a... nevermind. -100 to the admins for being worse. +10 points to Germany for being inappropriately whittled. -10 points to Germany for believing in the WT.

2.1 - Lol

2.2 - You're goddamn right

2.3 - I think I wanted to say something about this earlier when it finished. Probably make fun of it but I was too focused on trying to get the first league 2 win so...

3.1- Nice try Turkey

3.2 - Really hoping for a stab and solo. Pretty sure this will be another 2-way.

3.3 - Nice try Austria
Last edited by boldblade on 27 Jun 2018, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
boldblade

Postby Pootleflump » 27 Jun 2018, 16:05

I like you boldblade (especially that tendency to modesty and being humble ;) ), but sometimes you put up some utter tosspot posts.
Pootleflump

Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League