PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

Postby HonestAbe » 06 Jul 2018, 19:16

To officially answer a suggestion; games will be anonymous countries only. Identities will be revealed after the game, league tables updated as we go along, and players asked to submit to AARs.

According to the above PDL rule paragraph and strictly within the realm of the PDL, I believe we aren’t suppose to reveal who we are during the game. In later rounds in particular, doesn’t this affect gameplay? After all, if someone reveals their identity to you AND you do due diligence to verify AND you realize, for example, that you’re already edging them in the standings, doesn’t it sway you to choose them over another player as an ally (rather than just letting the diplomacy within that particular game inform your judgement)?

So my question to the Mod of the PDL: are we or are we not allowed to reveal our identity in game? I don’t think we should be allowed to do so. But maybe you disagree. If so, I think the above rule paragraph is misleading. I would also agree to disagree unless I’m looking at this the wrong way.
HonestAbe

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1411)
All-game rating: (1587)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby greggybear » 06 Jul 2018, 21:32

HonestAbe wrote:
To officially answer a suggestion; games will be anonymous countries only. Identities will be revealed after the game, league tables updated as we go along, and players asked to submit to AARs.

According to the above PDL rule paragraph and strictly within the realm of the PDL, I believe we aren’t suppose to reveal who we are during the game. In later rounds in particular, doesn’t this affect gameplay? After all, if someone reveals their identity to you AND you do due diligence to verify AND you realize, for example, that you’re already edging them in the standings, doesn’t it sway you to choose them over another player as an ally (rather than just letting the diplomacy within that particular game inform your judgement)?

So my question to the Mod of the PDL: are we or are we not allowed to reveal our identity in game? I don’t think we should be allowed to do so. But maybe you disagree. If so, I think the above rule paragraph is misleading. I would also agree to disagree unless I’m looking at this the wrong way.

I believe the site rules are pretty clear on this:

Players MAY claim an identity inside the game, however, as this will not be known until after the game is finished.

Basically, you can claim whatever you want inside the game, but you're not allowed to do anything outside the game that would confirm that. In the absence of further rules specific to PDL (which I've never seen), I would assume the site rules would apply.
greggybear

Standard rating: (1568)
All-game rating: (1594)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Alman » 06 Jul 2018, 23:00

The previous poster is correct. You can suggest, hint, or otherwise state who you are, but there is no way to know that you are telling the truth. In fact, I have impersonated other players before in that type of game for diplomatic effect. As I investigated this game, I went back and reviewed our site rules and then studied the League rules to see if there was any addition to that. Last year WHS had a game series/Tournament where you added a rule that banned any kind of reveal or even guessing. That was not done here, and because it is anon countries, it is known who is in the game. I'm not a big fan of the guess who game either, but it is not against the rules. Going outside the site, like stating it in the Forum would be outside the rules.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)

Postby mhsmith0 » 07 Jul 2018, 01:02

Alman wrote:In response to a request for investigation, and also in response to discussion in this thread, I have completed an EXTENSIVE investigation of PDL Game 3.3

https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/vie ... 45#p954607

lol i was ACTUALLY IN THE GAME and couldn't be bothered to go back and read old messages :lol: :P
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Iggy » 09 Jul 2018, 15:25

Is the next round starting soon? I need to get a game or 2 going!
Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)

Postby boldblade » 09 Jul 2018, 21:24

Iggy wrote:Is the next round starting soon? I need to get a game or 2 going!

I think pretty soon.
boldblade

Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)
Timezone: GMT

Postby jay65536 » 09 Jul 2018, 21:43

1.3.1 is still very interesting to watch, although it looks like it would not be a fun game to play in.

I hope 1.3.2 winds down soon.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)

Postby boldblade » 09 Jul 2018, 21:52

1.3.1 is pretty interesting. I kind of hope for the 7-way.

1.3.2... depends how long the whittling is going to take.
boldblade

Postby jay65536 » 09 Jul 2018, 22:18

boldblade wrote:1.3.1 is pretty interesting. I kind of hope for the 7-way.

1.3.2... depends how long the whittling is going to take.

No further comment on 1.3.2 as I don't want to influence anyone's decision-making in the game.

I am rooting for the 7-way in 1.3.1, only because if that happened it would be a very interesting case for my scoring system (as I've mentioned in a different thread, I'm tracking that game). However, given the fact that the actual league is playing with primarily draw-based scoring, I expect there to be no vote anytime soon.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)

Postby boldblade » 09 Jul 2018, 22:24

jay65536 wrote:No further comment on 1.3.2 as I don't want to influence anyone's decision-making in the game.

Lame

jay65536 wrote:I am rooting for the 7-way in 1.3.1, only because if that happened it would be a very interesting case for my scoring system (as I've mentioned in a different thread, I'm tracking that game). However, given the fact that the actual league is playing with primarily draw-based scoring, I expect there to be no vote anytime soon.

Another reason for me to hope for this!
boldblade

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League