Page 16 of 20

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 15:18
by asudevil
jimbobicus wrote:b) play on your past carebear reputation (even including pointing to particular games where you had been a carebear). Apart from anything else, allowing people to employ this tactic I think can have major metagaming consequences at could then be a player's interests to act as a carebear in one game precisely so that they can use that reputation to that advantage in a future game.
However, now that you have soloed, I will congratulate you on that... well played. In my opinion, England and Germany should have made themselves harder for you to stab them - but that's their fault not yours.


There was actually a F2F champion who won a world championship because of exactly this. Everyone knew he was a carebear. And so they were willing to work with him. And then one time...in a final table...he stabbed brutally for the solo and he wont the championship. And he had the carebear rep for YEARS. Was it a "long play"...we will never know.

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 16:53
by jay65536
asudevil wrote:There was actually a F2F champion who won a world championship because of exactly this. Everyone knew he was a carebear. And so they were willing to work with him. And then one time...in a final table...he stabbed brutally for the solo and he wont the championship. And he had the carebear rep for YEARS. Was it a "long play"...we will never know.


Who are you talking about?

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 17:36
by asudevil
jay65536 wrote:
asudevil wrote:There was actually a F2F champion who won a world championship because of exactly this. Everyone knew he was a carebear. And so they were willing to work with him. And then one time...in a final table...he stabbed brutally for the solo and he wont the championship. And he had the carebear rep for YEARS. Was it a "long play"...we will never know.


Who are you talking about?


I don't remember...I read about it though probably like 4 years ago. DQ may know.

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 19:12
by Nanook
Pretty sure he’s talking about Tom Haver at Dixie. That’s how the grantland article framed it.

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 23:29
by asudevil
nanooktheeskimo wrote:Pretty sure he’s talking about Tom Haver at Dixie. That’s how the grantland article framed it.


Yeah...Grantland article...That sounds about right

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 14:50
by duckling
asudevil wrote: Everyone knew he was a carebear.


Clearly, everyone was wrong! :)

asudevil wrote:And he had the carebear rep for YEARS.


I love it when people underestimate others because of arrogant assumptions like that.
So many people botch negotiations because they make assumptions about the motivations of their opponent based on their feelings and not the game. Sounds like a well deserved title.

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 16:53
by jay65536
I re-read that article yesterday. I was thrown off because you said it was on a top board. Dixiecon doesn't have a top board--the solo described in the article happened during a regular round. (Also of note, Chris Brand, the recipient of the stab in that article, would go on to win WDC in 2016.)

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 19:11
by jay65536
Getting back to the original purpose of this thread...I think 1.3.1 has gone longer than any game I've seen before without any eliminations! Every power is alive in 1911...I once played a game that we ended in a 7way draw before it got this far, but never seen a game still going with no eliminations this far in.

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 20:33
by asudevil
jay65536 wrote:I re-read that article yesterday. I was thrown off because you said it was on a top board. Dixiecon doesn't have a top board--the solo described in the article happened during a regular round. (Also of note, Chris Brand, the recipient of the stab in that article, would go on to win WDC in 2016.)


See I didn't remember the details.

Re: PDL - Round 3 viewers lounge

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2018, 05:11
by Alman
In response to a request for investigation, and also in response to discussion in this thread, I have completed an EXTENSIVE investigation of PDL Game 3.3

viewtopic.php?f=815&t=58145#p954607