PDL promotion/replacement

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

Re: PDL promotion/replacement

Postby Iggy » 05 Mar 2018, 20:17

if anything, I'd suggest considering cutting down to 2 leagues and having a real waiting list if participation continues to be a problem. recruiting to get 3 full leagues was admirable but having a core group of committed players is more important than getting enough numbers. if there are more players than 2 leagues can hold, then you have a legitimate list of alternates as things happen IRL to participants - those relegated from the bottom league swap out with alternates, etc.
Iggy

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Saturos » 05 Mar 2018, 20:49

Iggy wrote:if anything, I'd suggest considering cutting down to 2 leagues and having a real waiting list if participation continues to be a problem. recruiting to get 3 full leagues was admirable but having a core group of committed players is more important than getting enough numbers. if there are more players than 2 leagues can hold, then you have a legitimate list of alternates as things happen IRL to participants - those relegated from the bottom league swap out with alternates, etc.

While that helps the administration side of things a bit, it takes away a lot of the appeal to the league. Staying in League 1 of 3 over the course of the seasons, is much more of a feat than League 1 of 2.
Saturos

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1374)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Iggy » 05 Mar 2018, 21:26

Saturos wrote:
Iggy wrote:if anything, I'd suggest considering cutting down to 2 leagues and having a real waiting list if participation continues to be a problem. recruiting to get 3 full leagues was admirable but having a core group of committed players is more important than getting enough numbers. if there are more players than 2 leagues can hold, then you have a legitimate list of alternates as things happen IRL to participants - those relegated from the bottom league swap out with alternates, etc.

While that helps the administration side of things a bit, it takes away a lot of the appeal to the league. Staying in League 1 of 3 over the course of the seasons, is much more of a feat than League 1 of 2.

But if participation slips, having 2 leagues is better than having 0. Then, when everyone hears how awesome it is and interest grows enough to get fully committed people step up, it's easy to expand back to 3 or more...

Plus, winning league 1 is plenty of a challenge, regardless of how many leagues their are - the best players will still be in league 1.
Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 05 Mar 2018, 21:48

Saturos wrote:

That's not actually true--staying in league one carries the same challenge whether there are 2 leagues or 3 or 8--the challenge is the same, to stay in the top 14 of the league.

Where the challenge is lessened is mainly for new players to the league, who would only have to climb through the ranks of one league as opposed to 2 to get to the top. For league 1 players though, it's exactly the same, unless relegation numbers are messed with.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413

Postby Saturos » 05 Mar 2018, 22:30

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
Saturos wrote:

That's not actually true--staying in league one carries the same challenge whether there are 2 leagues or 3 or 8--the challenge is the same, to stay in the top 14 of the league.

Where the challenge is lessened is mainly for new players to the league, who would only have to climb through the ranks of one league as opposed to 2 to get to the top. For league 1 players though, it's exactly the same, unless relegation numbers are messed with.

I mean, you can clearly see the differences. I guess my wording just wasn't encompassing enough. Climbing to League 1 (and then staying there) is lessened, as is the now gone threat of demotion in league 2.
Saturos

Postby duckling » 06 Mar 2018, 00:26

Saturos wrote: Climbing to League 1 (and then staying there) is lessened, as is the now gone threat of demotion in league 2.

You’ll still be demoted, won’t you?
That is, become “non-league material”
duckling

Standard rating: (1130)
All-game rating: (1176)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Zutphania » 06 Mar 2018, 01:02

The big difference will be in League 2, right now it is really interesting (or should be), since you can get promoted OR demoted. In bottom league it only matters to get promoted, failing that it doesn't matter how badly you end up doing.
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win"
Sun Tzu
Zutphania

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1028)
All-game rating: (1042)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Saturos » 06 Mar 2018, 01:24

duckling wrote:
Saturos wrote: Climbing to League 1 (and then staying there) is lessened, as is the now gone threat of demotion in league 2.

You’ll still be demoted, won’t you?
That is, become “non-league material”

Right, but that is quite a different experience/type of "demotion", in my opinion. Also, is reliant on there being enough willing standbys.
Saturos

Postby V » 07 May 2018, 15:07

A quick suggestion to resolve this promotion/relegation issue. It is only a problem when the 8th quitter quits, otherwise folks can fight it out to be in the top 7 for promotion & the 7 lowest are relegated (even if it’s #’s 8 to 14). But if we get an 8th quitter the replacement for that one would not get relegation protection (avoiding the problematic simultaneous promotion/relegation). Hopefully this won’t ever happen & if it did, be right at the end of the season.

The new player would know up front relegation is all but inevitable (thus be little more than a sub) however could be subsequently rewarded by being first in line for the coming season.

Just a thought. It’s easy, works & changes virtually nothing.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: (1718)
All-game rating: (1754)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Custer » 07 May 2018, 18:07

I don't care which league I'm in. I will feast on all of your still beating hearts! :twisted:

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1108
All-game rating: 1071
Timezone: GMT-6

PreviousNext

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League