PDL promotion/replacement

A PlayDiplomacy competitive league

Moderator: mjparrett

PDL promotion/replacement

Postby mjparrett » 04 Mar 2018, 21:11

Hi all.

Just thought I'd let everyone know what is happening.

I have received a PM from bishopbandit saying he is pulling out the league for personal reasons. I hope all is well.

As per the rules, ccloughley has been invited to step up (having had a solo in his first game in PDL 3). He has declined, and is concentrating on his PDL 3 position and round 2 game that has started.

There is no clear second place, plus the fact one PDL 3 game hasn't finished. Therefore I have made the decision to use one of the standby list. Riles is therefore joining PDL 2 and will take bishopbandit's spot. He will be exempt from relegation.

To be honest there are more surrenders and people not turning up for games than I imagined, and this is getting harder to run effectively. It's a shame as I think the majority are enjoying the concept, but if this trait continues then this will possibly be the one and only PDL season.

Cheers
Mike
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524
Timezone: GMT

Re: PDL promotion/replacement

Postby Strategus » 04 Mar 2018, 21:21

Hopefully it will settle down. Don't give up on the idea. It deserves to be kept going.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1708

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 04 Mar 2018, 21:22

Maybe 2 leagues next year with more reserves?
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby V » 04 Mar 2018, 21:29

I rarely volunteer for anything, but I think PDL is so good that I am happy to take on a chunk of admin workload, if it helps maintain it into next year. I can do repetitive boring bits that take your time, while mjparrett remains “the face of PDL”. You’re more diplomatic than I could ever achieve. Cheers V.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 04 Mar 2018, 21:31

V wrote:I rarely volunteer for anything, but I think PDL is so good that I am happy to take on a chunk of admin workload, if it helps maintain it into next year. I can do repetitive boring bits that take your time, while mjparrett remains “the face of PDL”. You’re more diplomatic than I could ever achieve. Cheers V.

Yeah, this is pretty much my position too. If I'm not needed to play next year I'd be happy to lend a hand with admin work to make it easier for Mike.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389

Postby Saturos » 04 Mar 2018, 21:49

Isn't bishops round 1 game still going?
Saturos

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1374)
All-game rating: (1497)

Postby mjparrett » 04 Mar 2018, 23:55

Yes his game is still going on. No pause request. I have asked if he just wants a delay to his PDL round 2 but no reply, hence my decision to bring in a replacement.

Thanks for the kind words/offers from people. I'm just a little annoyed and probably don't mean it.

For the record anything in real life always takes a priority. I hope people know I think that. But I had 3 people not turn up to round 1. 2 surrendered during round 1 (one of which was because he got stabbed and he didn't like it). 2 more have quit after their round 1 game. I understand something like this for fun can't be forced. But can you imagine the football league. West Brom are rubbish so just quit?! (Apologies to my American friends for the soccer analogy). It would be impossible to manage.

The admin side of things assuming people turn up and play is fine. But juggling things with people leaving half way through a season is hard.

Thanks for whoever said I could be the "face of the PDL"!
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524

Postby The SHIV » 05 Mar 2018, 01:14

Does League 2 still have a game going on?

And I would hate to see it go away as well. I think its a fantastic idea/concept.

Congrats to Mike! All hail Mike!

LoL

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1100

Postby Riles » 05 Mar 2018, 03:38

Hello everyone! Glad to be here!

I appreciate mjparrett making me exempt from relegation, but that isn't necessary. There's still most of the season left so if I fall into the lower portion and can't get myself out (even if I inherit the scores from my predecessor), then I deserve to be relegated. If I don't relegate then I would feel that either a league 3 member would not be promoted when they deserve it or someone else in league 2 would be relegated when they don't deserve it.

I'm not saying how to run the league, just saying that you don't need to make exceptions for me.

Good luck and I look forward to stabbing playing with you all!
Riles

Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1362)

Postby The SHIV » 05 Mar 2018, 12:36

Welcome aboard Riles! Good to have ya!

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1100

Next

Return to PlayDip Diplomacy League