British Diplomacy (Orders due 18th September 16:30bst)

Modern British variant. Created by coolcam262. GM: coolcam262. Game ended with no resolution.

Re: British Diplomacy (We need 6 more players to test it out!!)

Postby slythytoav » 13 Aug 2009, 07:28

It looks to me like Ireland is going to be much too powerful. after all, it has 4 home centers, a guaranteed center in Clare, and the protection inherent in its island position.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There's always enough random success to justify almost anything to someone who wants to believe."
-- John Allen Paulos
slythytoav

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: British Diplomacy (We need 6 more players to test it out!!)

Postby coolcam262 » 13 Aug 2009, 09:29

slythytoav wrote:It looks to me like Ireland is going to be much too powerful. after all, it has 4 home centers, a guaranteed center in Clare, and the protection inherent in its island position.

OK i will put you both on

Get a website (please).
coolcam262

Timezone: GMT

Re: British Diplomacy (We need 4 more players to test it out!!)

Postby Aeschines » 13 Aug 2009, 20:28

Highlands request!
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1487
All-game rating: 1639
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby slythytoav » 14 Aug 2009, 07:20

Oh, I'm sorry if I was unclear. I just meant to comment on the map not to volunteer to play. I'm really to busy at the moment to do this. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There's always enough random success to justify almost anything to someone who wants to believe."
-- John Allen Paulos
slythytoav

Postby coolcam262 » 14 Aug 2009, 09:47

slythytoav wrote:Oh, I'm sorry if I was unclear. I just meant to comment on the map not to volunteer to play. I'm really to busy at the moment to do this. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

That's fine, thanks for letting me know

Get a website (please).
coolcam262

Re: British Diplomacy (We need 5 more players to test it out!!)

Postby FLJR » 16 Aug 2009, 01:41

I would like to volunteer to play as Ireland. Although it is my first forum game (I hope that's ok) this map looks really interesting.

Also, one minor point; I would like to request name changes for some of the Irish regions.
First, if you want to keep it as 'Dublin' that's fine, but North Leinster makes a bit more sense since the point that designates it as an SC isn't actually located in Dublin, it's in Monaghan, which is in Ulster, but most of the region is in Leinster. You could instead move the point. I know it seems silly but I actually live in the Dublin area and would rather not be told that I suddenly live in Ulster... :D
Second, Arklow is actually quite a minor population center compared to Waterford, which is also in the area, so it would make more sense to call it Waterford or South Leinster.
Third, Castlebar is actually within the region you have designated as the Shannon. I believe either Donegal or North-West Ireland would be more fitting.
Finally, Clare Island is actually much smaller and much closer to the mainland, but this one is probably for game balance reasons so it's ok.

I don't mean to offend you, just trying to help with map authenticity. I won't decide to quit or anything over names, just though I should let you know.
Thanks!
FLJR

Postby Robert Gesualdo » 16 Aug 2009, 03:29

I'll go balls-to-the-walls and play as Middle England.
Retired.
Robert Gesualdo

All-game rating: (882)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 16 Aug 2009, 13:09

Wales for me please.

But before we start, the map looks a bit odd in that there only seem to be 4 neutral supply centres, 3 of them certain gains and one 3-way punch-up (including Ireland, who also has a certainty!) The other nations need some compensating advantages if they're to compete.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby FLJR » 16 Aug 2009, 18:07

I would have to agree with Pedros in that there aren't enough SCs. The problem is not that Ireland is over-powered, but that it is balanced (it's the Russia of this game, with lots of SCs but more territory to defend), whereas none of the other sides are. There's no option but to make immediate attacks, and I would expect Scotland and Middle England to fall quite quickly. Perhaps if you made the territories of each nation a bit smaller, create a few more regions and make some of them neutral SCs?
FLJR

Postby feldspar » 17 Aug 2009, 20:46

FLJR wrote: Perhaps if you made the territories of each nation a bit smaller, create a few more regions and make some of them neutral SCs?

I totally agree with this. If I could suggest one thing, I would say that you should take Birmingham away from Middle England and make it a neutral SC. Then Split Bristol in half and make both halves SCs so that middle England still has 3 SCs at the start (although by then they would be more like low England). That way you can have the whole area of Nottingham, Peterborough, Don, Birmingham, Oxford, and Cambridge to carve up and make into Neutral SCs.
"They got squid" -The Maxx
feldspar

PreviousNext

Return to British Diplomacy {All Maps Lost}