Calling especially TEACHERS but also other HELPFUL PEOPLE...

Anything you want to talk about.

Calling especially TEACHERS but also other HELPFUL PEOPLE...

Postby Oh Cheese » 16 Aug 2019, 07:01

Being a teacher, and having started work at a new school, I have been asked to run an after-school activity with a group of students. Knowing that I can use the Teacher facility on this website, I've had myself set up with this capability.

In the first instance, I have to create a Powerpoint presentation to advertise the game. Let's assume none of my students have even ever heard of Diplomacy. What I'm keen to offer is a slide show of at least a few 'turns' in the game, to give the students an idea of the movements and functioning of the game. I don't suppose anyone has anything ready made that they could share with me...? Otherwise, if you have, or could point me in the direction of, stock images illustrating how the game is played, then this would be very useful to me. I know I could just screenshot a load of Order Histories, but I find the map you look at when you're entering orders a lot clearer and easier to understand than the images shown in the Order History windows, and so would prefer to use these. (Failing this, let's get a live game going, so I can screenshot at each turn, and quickly put a picture story of a typical game together!)

Also, I'd welcome comments (or PMs) from other teachers using the site, and their experiences of providing this for students. I'm especially keen to understand how - if I see the kids two afternoons per week - this will work in practice. Can I determine that deadlines only pass on the days when the students are with me? I understand they can open and play games without my supervision, but can I control those under my jurisdiction, so that the students cannot play these games without me? Any further information about the practicality of this function is appreciated.
Oh Cheese
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1168
All-game rating: 1180
Timezone: GMT+6

Re: Calling especially TEACHERS but also other HELPFUL PEOPL

Postby Mr.E » 16 Aug 2019, 09:01

As a former trainer, I'd use video clips. They're out there on YouTube.

I guess it's about capturing your students' attention initially. That will mean focusing on the cut-throat nature of Dip. Nothing like a bit of underhand activity to capture the imagination of a teenager!
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 966
All-game rating: 1134
Timezone: GMT

Postby Locutus » 16 Aug 2019, 13:57

My additional rules for classroom Dip:

Students are divided into teams and must communicate and agree within the team before submitting and finalizing orders.
All comms with other countries must be accomplished using the game platform. No shouting across the room etc.
All comms are between countries - no messaging to "Tom" or from "Jane". This depersonalizes the game somewhat.
Spamming the PP will result in removal from the game (changing the team's password).
Surrenders DQ the team from playing again. Draws are only allowed if there is a true stalemate.
Game turns are set to at least two days.

That's all I recall at the moment - hope that may help some.
Locutus
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 921
All-game rating: 963
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby asudevil » 16 Aug 2019, 14:05

I’d do deadlines of like 5 days with the ability to finalize... then just have them finalize when you see them.

The depersonalization of using country names would help

I would push the convincing/lying/stabbing of the game to gain interest
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby jay65536 » 16 Aug 2019, 14:18

Oh Cheese wrote:In the first instance, I have to create a Powerpoint presentation to advertise the game. Let's assume none of my students have even ever heard of Diplomacy. What I'm keen to offer is a slide show of at least a few 'turns' in the game, to give the students an idea of the movements and functioning of the game. I don't suppose anyone has anything ready made that they could share with me...?

The Rulebook actually contains 4 turns of a "sample game" (1901 and 1902) with made-up moves. Not all the moves are good, but it's enough to show a new player the game mechanics. It includes a lot of things that come up in real games--bounces, passing through centers and thereby not claiming them, convoying, cutting supports, etc.
jay65536

Standard rating: 1105
All-game rating: 1111
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Aug 2019, 17:26

You have the power as the teacher to control when the games process. If for example you want to completely control that, make the games Fixed Deadlines so noone can finalize, and then from the Teachers page you can force the turn to process whenever you wish.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941

Postby Pope Pius IX » 16 Aug 2019, 23:06

I started a Diplomacy club recently.

I made a VERY boring PowerPoint that explains the rules - PM me and I'll send it to you when I can.

Incidentally, the boringness of it didn't stop the club being over-subscribed!
Aspiring Classicist.
Head of the Roman Catholic Church.
Pope Pius IX

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 980
All-game rating: 980

Return to Off-topic