Premier League 2019/20

Anything you want to talk about.

Premier League 2019/20

Postby sjg11 » 01 Aug 2019, 18:04

It's that time of year again as another season of Premier League football kicks off next weekend. Overall here are my very early predictions for how things stand at the moment:
1. Manchester City- I see them winning the title again this season. They have an incredible squad and a truly great manager. The only thing that could throw them off is if they get sucked into any European distractions next season but they are a phenomenal team and they have to be favourites to win the Premier League again this season.
2. Liverpool- It feels weird to not be putting the reigning European champions down as favourites for the title this season. But they haven't really done anything to push on this summer and I'm not sure whether they have the depth to challenge City over a 40 game season again. I feel like it may be another year of disappointment for the red half of Merseyside.
3. Tottenham Hotspur- Tottenham are a complete side in many ways. They have a well balanced squad which combines depth and quality along with a high-class manager to bring the best out of them. In most eras for English football this squad would be title challengers but Liverpool and City have raised the bar and it would take something special for Spurs to catch up.
4. Arsenal- I'm going to be surprisingly optimistic. Now this prediction assumes that at least the Pepe transfer goes through. But Chelsea and United both have issues this season. Although we could still use defensive improvements, Pepe will actually improve that issue by giving us a more balanced attack meaning that we're not forced to switch to a back 3 and push our FBs as high up the pitch as we were last season. If we get Tierney as well it will be a solid summer for us and we should be well poised to take 4th this season.
5. Manchester United- They've had a surprisingly quiet summer. Wan-Bissaka will help them defensively but, honestly, my instinct is that Paulo Dybala will become another United superstar attacker that flops at the club. Moreover, I remain unconvinced by Solskjaer as a manager.
6. Chelsea- I don't see where the goals come from this season. Hazard was crucial to their attack and losing him without a replacement is gonna prove fatal for Chelsea. Their defence is good but they won't score enough to take a top 4 spot this season.
7. Everton- Everton are Everton. Marco Silva didn't have a bad first season in charge but further improvements will be required this season. Losing Idrissa Gueye is a blow but they have other good midfield options and Moise Kean may prove to be the answer to their striking issues. Overall the Everton squad still has some issues but it also has a lot of potential and I see an improvement from them this season.
8. West Ham- I have a suspicion that Sebastien Haller may prove to be one of the signings of the window. Last season Pellegrini quietly improved West Ham, tightening up a previously leaky defence while maintaining a competent defensive output. I expect a similar improvement to continue for them this season.
9. Leicester- Rodgers is a good manager who should be able to get good performances from the Leicester players. I expect them to be more exciting to watch this season but their inconsistency will remain to prevent them from pushing any higher up the table.
10. Wolves- Wolves would probably be higher if they didn't have the Europa League. For clubs like Wolves they tend to get affected by the competition and Wolves don't have a particularly deep squad to begin with. Still another quality in that squad for a comfortable season though.
11. Watford- I expect a fairly decent yet mediocre season from Watford. They have a strong midfield and competent attacking options but I have doubts about their defensive personnel that hasn't really been improved this summer.
12. Southampton- Their improvement under Hasenhuttl should continue from the end of last season and they should have a significantly more comfortable season this time around.
13. Bournemouth- They've kept hold of Wilson and Fraser which is huge for them. Their defence will remain one of the worst in the division but with Howe as manager and a strong attack, they should score enough goals to survive.
14. Crystal Palace- This is where I start thinking that teams really could go down this season. Palace are starting to head downhill as a side. BUT they still have Zaha at the time of writing. And they still have good defenders allied to a good defensive coach in Roy Hodgson. For this season it should be enough to survive but changes need to be made to the Palace squad sooner rather than later.
15. Burnley- They've lost Heaton but Nick Pope is an able deputy. Tarkowski and Mee are a solid CB partnership while Wood and Barnes will get goals at the other hand. Sean Dyche is a very good manager and it should be enough for them to survive.
16. Norwich City- They scored a lot of goals in the Championship last season. Their attack should still be able to fire in the Prem and, although they will concede a few at the other end, this seems to be one of those rare occasions where a newly promoted team's attack actually is good enough to compensate for a leaky defence.
17. Sheffield United- They will struggle... but they are a team who are better than the sum of their parts. Most importantly, they're the best of the newly promoted teams defensively while containing some firepower at the other end. It... might be enough for them.
18. Newcastle United- I feel like some of the criticism of Steve Bruce is overblown. He may keep Newcastle in the division. His Newcastle team will be decent defensively. But I don't think Steve Bruce is going to get much out of players like Miguel Almiron and Joelinton who are used to a completely different style of football. I can see Newcastle's attack being the worst in the division despite having some competent attackers and that could cost them.
19. Aston Villa- I think they're being over-hyped this season. They conceded over 60 goals in the Championship last season. And they've replaced their striker with a player whose strike rate in the Belgian league isn't massively impressive. I think they could struggle to score goals and they could leak goals at the other end. I think this has the potential to be a long season for Villa.
20, Brighton- Graham Potter doesn't suit their squad. Their success over the past couple of seasons has been built on the Duffy-Dunk partnership. Potter is going to want Duffy and Dunk to do something completely different. And, to be honest, I can't see any gain in offensive output balancing out more goals being conceded at the other end in this case as Brighton are still largely relying on a good season from a 56 year old Glenn Murray to keep them up.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Premier League 2019/20

Postby WarSmith » 01 Aug 2019, 22:45

1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Man Utd
4. Chelsea
5. Spurs
6. Arsenal
7. Leicester
8. Everton
9. Palace
10. Wolves
11. West Ham
12. Watford
13. Bournemouth
14. Norwich
15. Burnley
16. Southampton
17. Villa
18. Brighton
19. Sheffield
20. Newcastle
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1725
All-game rating: 1712
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby The SHIV » 02 Aug 2019, 01:23

Go Wolves!

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1109
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby V » 02 Aug 2019, 02:22

Once again I compliment you on your completeness in accessing the whole league. I’m going to limit my predictions as usual. Firstly I’m proud of getting it right last year of City Champions, with only significant challenger being Liverpool.
This year I predict City as Champions with both Liverpool & Arsenal as challengers. I doubt it will be an exciting two horse race to the end like this year & expect City to have it tied up much sooner than the last weekend.
I always believe my beloved West Ham will do better than Everton (even though they usually don’t) so using your assessment that gives them 7th & I’d be happy with that. I’d love 6th though :D
Relegated Sheffield Utd, Brighton & Newcastle Utd.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Fatmo » 02 Aug 2019, 10:48

All I know about this is that Westham is my team because one of my best friends is English and that's his team.

He seems happy whenever they aren't relegated lol.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sjg11 » 02 Aug 2019, 15:03

V wrote:Once again I compliment you on your completeness in accessing the whole league. I’m going to limit my predictions as usual. Firstly I’m proud of getting it right last year of City Champions, with only significant challenger being Liverpool.
This year I predict City as Champions with both Liverpool & Arsenal as challengers. I doubt it will be an exciting two horse race to the end like this year & expect City to have it tied up much sooner than the last weekend.
I always believe my beloved West Ham will do better than Everton (even though they usually don’t) so using your assessment that gives them 7th & I’d be happy with that. I’d love 6th though :D
Relegated Sheffield Utd, Brighton & Newcastle Utd.

I'm not expecting a particularly close title race this year, I kinda think that City are considerably better than their rivals this time around.

I... think expecting West Ham to do better than Everton is a touch optimistic.

Also nice that we agree on Brighton, Newcastle and one newly promoted team to go down.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 02 Aug 2019, 15:05

Fatmo wrote:All I know about this is that Westham is my team because one of my best friends is English and that's his team.

He seems happy whenever they aren't relegated lol.

Lol that sounds about right for a West Ham fan. ;)
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Jegpeg » 03 Aug 2019, 00:52

1. City (Manchester not Norwich!)
2. Liverpool: They were lucky with injuries last season, if Mane and Salah stay fit and they go out of Europe early they could push city close otherwise the title will be over with about 3 games to go.
3. Spurs: I think Kane is declining and they will miss Trippier the gap to the big 2 is as wide as ever
4. Chelsea: Barkley has been showing his Everton form and I think Pulisic while no Hazard (yet) is a great buy. Defensively the best team out of the top 2.
5. Man Utd: United can put together a string of good results like they did when Solskjaer first joined or they can go into a long losing streak couldn't really decide whether to put them ahead of Arsenal or not
6. Arsenal
7. Leicester: Tielemans and Perez are good signings if anyone can break into the top 6 it is Leicester
8. Everton: They have looked weak at the back pre-season which I think cancels out the improvements up front
9. Watford: Looked strong last season, until they concentrated on the FA cup, I think they will finish in the top half
10. West Ham: Always talked about challenging the top 6 but never really get there
11. Burnley: I think the choice between Heaton and Pope was a toss up, without the distraction of Europe they will revert to a mid table club
12. Southampton: I think Che Adams will prove quite a bargain
13. Wolves: A small squad always suffers when they play European football and I predict Wolves will be like Burnley last season. There are probably enough poor teams below them hat they are safe from relegation
14. Crystal Palace: They will miss AWB, this assumes they keep Zaha if he goes they will be in serious relegation trouble.
15. Bournemouth: Strong attack might be enough to compensate for all the goals they leak
16. Aston Villa: They have spent big and that can either work or not. They could be fighting for a Europa League spot and they could be dead bottom
17. Newcastle: A team in a long decline but might still have enough to stay up
18. Sheffield Utd: They will fight hard but don't think they have enough quality to stay up
19. Brighton: Leaky defence, won't score many goals, I didn't realise Murray was 56!
20. Norwich: If a promoted team spends no money on players the plan is to keep the premier league money and the parachute payments to put them on a more secure financial footing as a championship team, and maybe come up again with the money to be able to afford to improve the squad without risking bankruptcy if it doesn't work.
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)

Postby sjg11 » 03 Aug 2019, 10:17

On Norwich, I agree that they do not want to take risks with the PL money. But this is also a team that scored 93 goals last season which is extremely impressive for a newly promoted team. That attack can be transplanted directly to the Prem something which I’m not sure was true for Burnley when they went up. The defence isn’t great but neither is it terrible for a newly promoted team. Overall prediction is a team whose attack is good enough to bail out a slightly shaky defence.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Pope Pius IX » 03 Aug 2019, 23:16

All I'll add (until I do a full-on prediction list) is that all the good teams drew 1-1 at home to Port Vale today...
Aspiring Classicist.
Head of the Roman Catholic Church.
Pope Pius IX

Standard rating: 980
All-game rating: 980

Next

Return to Off-topic