Kick-Ass Historical Fiction Suggestions?

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: Kick-Ass Historical Fiction Suggestions?

Postby Keirador » 23 Oct 2018, 22:18

David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet would fit the bill nicely, and is one of my favorite novels of any genre. It was inspired by his learning, while living in Japan, that for over 200 years a single isolated trading post called Dejima, purposefully cut off from the mainland to contain and constrain foreign influence, was inhabited by Dutch merchants and served as the only point of contact with the outside world for many Japanese. Predictably, he inserted some semi-fantastical elements, but it's a painstakingly researched work in terms of historical authenticity.

I'll also put in a plug for Philip Roth's The Plot Against America as being, not to put too fine a point on it, rather timely at present.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Kick-Ass Historical Fiction Suggestions?

Postby Tarsier » 26 Oct 2018, 00:39

Keirador wrote:David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet would fit the bill nicely, and is one of my favorite novels of any genre. It was inspired by his learning, while living in Japan, that for over 200 years a single isolated trading post called Dejima, purposefully cut off from the mainland to contain and constrain foreign influence, was inhabited by Dutch merchants and served as the only point of contact with the outside world for many Japanese. Predictably, he inserted some semi-fantastical elements, but it's a painstakingly researched work in terms of historical authenticity.

I'll also put in a plug for Philip Roth's The Plot Against America as being, not to put too fine a point on it, rather timely at present.

Just read the Roth title - enjoyed it more than the last of his that I read.

The Thousand Autumns sounds excellent. On my list.
Tarsier

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (2018)
All-game rating: (2105)
Timezone: GMT-6

Previous

Return to Off-topic