Premier League 2018/19

Anything you want to talk about.

Premier League 2018/19

Postby sjg11 » 09 Aug 2018, 14:38

So another Premier League season starts tomorrow and as ever here is my predicted table for the season:

1. Liverpool- I think Liverpool have had a really good transfer window and have pretty much improved every area of the side they needed to improve. Combine this with the fact that Klopp's system really started to click during the second half of last season and I think that Liverpool may win the title next year.
2. Manchester City- I strongly considered breaking my rule never to back last year's champions with this City team. But their transfer window does follow the pattern of previous champions in terms of being highly underwhelming. I... don't really think Mahrez is needed at City, I think he was very expensive and I think that he's probably not going to be at his peak for much longer either. If they'd signed Jorginho I'd still have them top but they needed a DM to take some of the pressure off of Fernandinho this season and they haven't done it. A back-up LB for Mendy wouldn't have hurt either.
3. Manchester United- I'll admit that I was tempted to put United lower given that Mourinho is in the middle of his third season meltdown at the moment. But this United squad should be good enough to comfortably finish in the top 4 again. If Jose stops whinging and starts being the manager he can be again, they may well challenge for the title and may even win it.
4. Tottenham- More of the same for Spurs. Not good enough to win the title or come particularly close but they should still be good enough to seal a top 4 spot. They may well win one of the Cups too.
5. Arsenal- I'm expecting a better season than last year. I reckon we'll really push Spurs and maybe United in the race for the top 4. The atmosphere around the club seems better than it's been for a couple of seasons and this summer's defensive reinforcements were sorely needed. We're not ready to challenge for the title yet but a top 4 challenge seems reasonable.
6. Chelsea- Chelsea have not had a good pre-season. It took them far too long to replace Conte with Sarri and their signings haven't been exceptional either. Hazard also looks like he wants to leave which may well blunt their attacking play somewhat. Morata is also still not good enough as a ST. Plus they're going to have to spend the first couple of months adapting to Sarri's system which is completely different to Conte's. Still, Sarri is a good manager and Jorginho's a very good signing at CM.
7. Everton- Should be the same as usual for Everton. Silva's a decent manager but may well get his head turned if he starts doing well. They don't have enough to challenge the top 6 but they should have enough to finish in the 7th/8th region. Their defence needs a revamp sooner rather than later but their attacking players should have significantly more joy this season.
8. Leicester- Still a decent squad, even without Mahrez although they lack depth in a couple of positions. Still, their first XI is more than good enough to see them out of any relegation danger.
9. West Ham- I think West Ham have got a very good manager in Pellegrini and their signings look decent. They should avoid a relegation scrap this season. But let's face it, it IS West Ham so who knows what will actually happen?
10. Southampton- Their squad is better than their finish last year would suggest. I'm expecting them to move back to being a decent midtable side this season. They still need another striker to take the goalscoring burden off of Charlie Austin though.
11. Crystal Palace- Palace are the perfect club for Hodgson in terms of league position, style of play and ambition. They've also had a solid transfer window. This should be a good midtable season for Palace and they should avoid the struggles of the first half of last season.
12. Wolves- Wolves were very impressive when they blitzed the Championship last season plus with their contacts in the game I can't really see them dropping back to the Championship this season, particularly with Nuno in charge who's a very good manager for a lower/mid-level Prem side. I'm really excited to see what Ruben Neves can do in the Prem.
13. Newcastle- They will be fine this season under Benitez. I do expect Benitez to leave at the end of this season though so they could be in trouble next season. To be fair though I don't think their transfer window has been as bad as it's been made out to be. Schar is a decent CB and Muto is a decent attacking option while Rondon is an upgrade on Gayle and Joselu (although tbf you could probably stick my cat up front and it would do a better job than Joselu). Dubravka and Kenedy were also really impressive last season and it was good to see their loans being made permanent. I don't see any reason to tip Newcastle to drop down.
14. Fulham- I initially had them lower down on account of their shaky defence but they've had a really good transfer window. Chambers, Seri, Mawson and Le Marchand should largely solve their defensive issues and the mixture of a strong attacking side and a very good manager in Jokanovic suggests they won't be in a relegation scrap. I would currently be surprised if they went down.
15. Watford- As ever they've brought in a load of players and are starting the season with a new manager. As ever it should be enough to see them staying up. Although I think they'll be closer to the drop than they've been for a little while. For me Watford are the first serious relegation candidate.
16. Bournemouth- I think this season is going to be a real struggle for Bournemouth. Some of their momentum has gone. Still, they have a decent young squad and Howe is a good enough manager that I think they'll stay up.
17. Brighton- They've had a solid window, they have a really well-balanced squad and a very competent, settled manager in Chris Hughton. For Brighton this season will also be about survival but they should have enough to push themselves over the line.
18. Burnley- Burnley have a tiring style of play, a squad which is fairly thin and Europa League football to contend with. I think they may well drop down this season when I factor in the impact which the Europa League tends to have on a side's league performance.
19. Huddersfield- Still a well-run side with a good manager. However I don't think they have enough firepower to stay up again. Plus I can't see three teams being as shambolically run as Stoke, West Brom and Swansea were last season.
20. Cardiff- Neil Warnock has never been able to be successful in the top flight. I see no reason why that would change with a somewhat limited Cardiff side. They will probably go down this season.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Premier League 2018/19

Postby Oh Cheese » 09 Aug 2018, 14:51

I'm a Liverpool fan and agree with all of your sentiments, except that we're going to win the league! Perhaps I'm just too downtrodden by the mocking "it's our year" crew, but it does seem that every year is the same - we have such high hopes but don't have the strength in depth to compete.

The bottom line is this: if we had had a keeper of Alisson's quality in 2013/14 we would have won the league. Irrefutable. Now that we do, great. But Klopp seems more bothered in strengthening attack rather than defence. Sure, goals win games, but if Van Dijk picks up a nasty injury for a couple of months or more we basically have no chance.

Midfield and attack are strong, sure, but to have the likes of Alberto Moreno and Ragnar Klavan acting as our back-up for first team just fills me with worry. I'd be shocked to see us finish outside the top four, but we're going to have to find a large slice of luck if we're going to really challenge City for their crown. Just so long as we finish above Utd and Spurs then I'm happy!
Oh Cheese
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1160
All-game rating: 1158
Timezone: GMT+6

Postby sjg11 » 09 Aug 2018, 15:09

Oh Cheese wrote:I'm a Liverpool fan and agree with all of your sentiments, except that we're going to win the league! Perhaps I'm just too downtrodden by the mocking "it's our year" crew, but it does seem that every year is the same - we have such high hopes but don't have the strength in depth to compete.

The bottom line is this: if we had had a keeper of Alisson's quality in 2013/14 we would have won the league. Irrefutable. Now that we do, great. But Klopp seems more bothered in strengthening attack rather than defence. Sure, goals win games, but if Van Dijk picks up a nasty injury for a couple of months or more we basically have no chance.

Midfield and attack are strong, sure, but to have the likes of Alberto Moreno and Ragnar Klavan acting as our back-up for first team just fills me with worry. I'd be shocked to see us finish outside the top four, but we're going to have to find a large slice of luck if we're going to really challenge City for their crown. Just so long as we finish above Utd and Spurs then I'm happy!

If van Dijk gets injured you still have Matip and Lovren which is good enough for a reserve CB pairing. An injury to Robertson would actually worry me more but you could always put Milner in at LB when you need to defend and Moreno at LB when you're at home against Brighton. But yes a long-term injury to van Dijk would be a problem.

But then again a long-term injury to Fernandinho for example would cause plenty of problems for City too.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Custer » 09 Aug 2018, 15:38

Jeez, seems like it Just got over. How long is it? 11 months? Kinda like basketball.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1136
All-game rating: 1100
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby sjg11 » 09 Aug 2018, 15:47

The SHIV wrote:Jeez, seems like it Just got over. How long is it? 11 months? Kinda like basketball.

The SHIV

The Premier League runs from August to May. However, this summer was a World Cup summer which runs from June to July effectively making it a year-long bonanza in a World Cup year.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 09 Aug 2018, 16:45

sjg11 wrote:
The SHIV wrote:Jeez, seems like it Just got over. How long is it? 11 months? Kinda like basketball.

The SHIV

The Premier League runs from August to May. However, this summer was a World Cup summer which runs from June to July effectively making it a year-long bonanza in a World Cup year.

Whats going to happen next world cup in Qatar, if its going to be in December?
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby sjg11 » 09 Aug 2018, 17:05

Don Juan of Austria wrote:
sjg11 wrote:

The SHIV

Whats going to happen next world cup in Qatar, if its going to be in December?

Nobody knows that, it may occur in the middle of the season or the European season may become a year-long thing.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Jegpeg » 10 Aug 2018, 01:53

Agree with most of your sentiments though City were so far ahead of everyone else last season the drop in relative performance wont be enough to lose the title (My guess is they will win by about 5 points). I also think Spurs will regret not signing anyone all the other teams have improved this summer and Chelsea will soon adapt to the Sarri way. United are a bit of a difficult one we might forget about Mourinho's complaints in a few weeks or we could see them do a Chelsea 2015, they could finish 2nd (or even win it) and they could finish mid table, I was worried about Everton but hope that today's signings will quickly fit in. I'm even more optimistic for Wolves than you are.

Could see it being another season with lots of teams trying to avoid relegation I would not be at all surprised ot see any of my bottom 7 go down.

1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3 Man Utd
4. Chelsea
5. Arsenal
6. Spurs
7. Everton
8. Wolves
9. Leicester
10. West Hem
11. Southampton
12. Newcastle
13. Palace
14. Fulham
15. Burnley
16. Bournemouth
17. Brighton
18. Watford
19. Huddersfield
20. Cardiff
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)

Postby sjg11 » 10 Aug 2018, 02:02

1. I was tempted to push Wolves a bit higher up but I do think that it's easy to underestimate teams like Leicester/West Ham/Palace/Southampton. Particularly West Ham and Leicester both of whom I expect to have very comfortable seasons.
2. I'll admit I could easily see any of our bottom 6 going down. At this stage Fulham have had such a strong transfer window, finished last season so well and have a playing style and a manager that excites me so much, that I actually WOULD be surprised to see them go down.
3. I'm glad you agree with me that people are over-estimating Burnley, particularly with the Europa League to contend with.
4. I tend to think that Watford are a team who it's easy to underestimate. On the outside it looks like chaos there every summer but they have their own way of working and it suits them. I... expect another season of survival for Watford although I think the bottom half looks stronger this season than it was last year so I expect them to end up worrying more than they did last year.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby V » 10 Aug 2018, 20:10

As usual my congratulations in taking the trouble to comment on all 20. I’ll limit myself to highlight predictions.
Champions, City, with Liverpool only significant opposition.
Relegated, Cardiff, Southampton & Watford
Beloved West Ham (optimistic this time around) 7th or better. Anything could happen with Pellegrini. First class manager since John Lyall, in my opinion.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Next

Return to Off-topic