Black Mirror USS Callister

Anything you want to talk about.

Black Mirror USS Callister

Postby balamory » 31 Dec 2017, 15:51

Did anyone else think Diplomacy when they were watching this?
balamory

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1063)
All-game rating: (1064)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Black Mirror USS Callister

Postby Pootleflump » 31 Dec 2017, 16:15

Love Black Mirror.

Charlie Brooker is a genius.
But, I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won't see anything

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1836
All-game rating: 1907

Postby FloridaMan » 01 Jan 2018, 00:07

Not one of my favorite episodes... :| a little predictable :roll:

There is a meta-Diplomacy aspect, I suppose, if you're quiet and meek in real life and a dictator in Diplomacy, or if you think of how the characters trapped in a virtual world are manipulating real people to some degree in and out of the real world. Thinking about it that way makes the episode slightly better.
Check Out My Diplomacy YouTube Channel!

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club

"I've been looking forward to this."
~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
~ Words of House Bolton, A Song of Ice and Fire
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1911
All-game rating: 2159
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Damon Huntington » 01 Jan 2018, 01:40

FloridaMan wrote:Not one of my favorite episodes... :| a little predictable :roll:

There is a meta-Diplomacy aspect, I suppose, if you're quiet and meek in real life and a dictator in Diplomacy, or if you think of how the characters trapped in a virtual world are manipulating real people to some degree in and out of the real world. Thinking about it that way makes the episode slightly better.

There's also the whole concept of an Anti-Leader Alliance. Seven players were in the original simulator (the new girl, the blue-skinned tech, the girl that turned into a monster, the intern, the real life boss, the tech guy and the ass captain). One player was eliminated from the board by the ass captain, who was "leading the game".

Thus, what do the other players sensibly do? They create an ALA in order to join strengths. One gathers information and distracts him, the others use that advantage to strike in an attempt to eliminate the leader. They end up collaborating and getting a five-way draw (perhaps six, if you consider the woman that was transformed into a monster still alive - like someone that has a SC but no units) that tastes like a complete win because they got to pummel the guy that was about to Solo and being a jerk about it.
Damon Huntington
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1332
All-game rating: 1341
Timezone: GMT-3

Postby UFOash » 04 Jan 2018, 00:54

Damon Huntington wrote:There's also the whole concept of an Anti-Leader Alliance. Seven players were in the original simulator (the new girl, the blue-skinned tech, the girl that turned into a monster, the intern, the real life boss, the tech guy and the ass captain). One player was eliminated from the board by the ass captain, who was "leading the game".

Thus, what do the other players sensibly do? They create an ALA in order to join strengths. One gathers information and distracts him, the others use that advantage to strike in an attempt to eliminate the leader. They end up collaborating and getting a five-way draw (perhaps six, if you consider the woman that was transformed into a monster still alive - like someone that has a SC but no units) that tastes like a complete win because they got to pummel the guy that was about to Solo and being a jerk about it.

Think you might be reaching a bit there hahah... I mean it's not like they had much choice other than either sit and accept it (which is never really an option in Diplomacy but is here).

Honestly I kinda agree with FloridaMan here. It was a cool concept but the fact that the ending was telegraphed about half an hour from the end, as well as the tacked-on happy ending left it feeling a bit mediocre to me.

I thought Brooker might go for a more interesting end to it than them overthrowing the captain in-game too. Like maybe them convincing him to be more assertive in his real life so he wouldn't need the game or something else more unique. The way he did end it seemed like the tackiest option available to him. Haven't seen the rest of the new season yet but hope this isn't the start of a trend of soft-endings, it really isn't Brooker's strong suit.
UFOash

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1217
All-game rating: 1224

Return to Off-topic