World Cup 2018

Anything you want to talk about.

World Cup 2018

Postby sjg11 » 01 Dec 2017, 20:26

The draw happened today and here are my tips for the last 16 (will draw up something more detailed before the tournament actually starts) (not in order with first and second currently):

Group A: Russia, Uruguay
Group B: Spain, Portugal
Group C: France, Denmark
Group D: Argentina, Nigeria
Group E: Brazil, Switzerland
Group F: Germany, Mexico
Group G: England, Belgium
Group H: Poland, Colombia
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby ExiledAtHome » 01 Dec 2017, 21:36

No Italy. No US. No Netherlands.

Sad.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sjg11 » 01 Dec 2017, 21:53

ExiledAtHome wrote:No Italy. No US. No Netherlands.

Sad.

Sad as I like seeing the better teams from each part of the world qualifying and all three sides would increase the quality of the tournament. However I do also feel like Italy need to have a long look at themselves and their infrastructure. Holland... sadly I feel like the economics of modern football is hurting Holland and it’s harder to change that. Very sad though for a nation which has produced as much talent as the Dutch. As for the US this is a blip I feel from a shambolic campaign but the general trend is positive progress and you will, in time, get better and better. My big worry with you guys is that Concacaf will probably remain a weak confederation and that’ll hurt you with regards to getting regular action against a higher standard of opposition.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)

Postby ExiledAtHome » 01 Dec 2017, 22:14

sjg11 wrote:
ExiledAtHome wrote:No Italy. No US. No Netherlands.

Sad.

Sad as I like seeing the better teams from each part of the world qualifying and all three sides would increase the quality of the tournament. However I do also feel like Italy need to have a long look at themselves and their infrastructure. Holland... sadly I feel like the economics of modern football is hurting Holland and it’s harder to change that. Very sad though for a nation which has produced as much talent as the Dutch. As for the US this is a blip I feel from a shambolic campaign but the general trend is positive progress and you will, in time, get better and better. My big worry with you guys is that Concacaf will probably remain a weak confederation and that’ll hurt you with regards to getting regular action against a higher standard of opposition.

Italy is a mess, and didn't deserve to qualify. Yet, I have a soft spot for Gli Azzuri, so it feels strange not seeing them in any bracket. They need to focus on youth and start a rebuild in these next 4 years.

Holland I haven't followed much recently, but they are usually a strong club, so again, their absence seems particularly noticeable.

As for the US, I hope you're right. The 2010 and 2014 campaigns were really exciting efforts by the US. 2010 with its nerve wracking late comebacks and wins, and then in 2014 surviving the initial group of death. Big PR wins for the US program. I hope this doesn't set things back.

Moving ahead, they need to find ways to replace the big holes left by the departure of Donovan, and the future departures of guys like Dempsey and Howard.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)

Postby mjparrett » 01 Dec 2017, 22:22

I love the world cup so much. Hard to get excited though when England will get knocked out as soon as they play anyone decent. And that sadly includes pretty much most of the top 2 seeded teams mentioned above.
mjparrett
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1578
All-game rating: 1620

Postby TreciKorpus BiH » 01 Dec 2017, 22:52

I hope the Belgians lose
If anyone is looking for a game with 24/24/24 orders or longer and is ranked, please PM me to join.
Previously known as BROCKENBROUGH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STqIRY7nHes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW2JdBb3sJM
TreciKorpus BiH

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 961
All-game rating: 970

Postby V » 02 Dec 2017, 01:38

The USA team suffer every time they appoint an awful coach (Examples being Bob Bradley & Bruce Arena) but do fine when they appoint a coach with talent, like Jurgen Klinsman.
I think the quality of football in USA gets steadily better & the only ingredient needed for consistent qualification in World Cup is a quality coach. There’s plenty of good ones out there (Bruce Arena, not so much).
I agree watching my homeland England fail miserably each time is not too enjoyable, but I live in Costa Rica now & they consistently over achieve. Enjoy the games folks.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1677
All-game rating: 1704
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 02 Dec 2017, 06:37

Cheering for the US...not holding my breath though. ;) And I'm happy for my Peruvian friends for qualifying!

EDIT: not that the US qualified...
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

The USA in WitA7!
Britain in WitA8!
House Martell in DoIaF-III,
Athens in GCS4.
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1050
All-game rating: 1177
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby buckielugger » 02 Dec 2017, 11:52

Russia got a VERY easy group, by far the weakest of them all.
Russia themselves are currently the lowest FIFA ranked country of the final 32 yet were made top seeds...hmmm
2nd weakest are the Saudis...
Group B most interesting with a triple local derby of Spain, Portugal AND Morocco!!!

For me, i shall have to be cheering the Belgians on... ;)
Platinum Classicist...
buckielugger
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 970
All-game rating: 1425

Postby joe92 » 02 Dec 2017, 15:57

Not a huge football nut but always manage to get excited for the world cup!

Which team would you bet on? The bookies have Germany with the best odds at 9:2 and Brazil second best at 5:1. Obviously I'll have to put a fiver on England and at 16:1 I'll be damn happy if they win :D (I won't keep my hopes up though).

If England get knocked out I'll probably be supporting Portugal.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Peru in War in the Americas
joe92

Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1689

Next

Return to Off-topic