Fantasy Books

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: Fantasy Books

Postby Fatmo » 30 Aug 2017, 22:33

I've heard of Wrinkle in time but never had anyone recommend it really. I do like science fiction as well, especially when elements of it and fantasy are mixed up.

Never heard of Guy Gavriel Kay.
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby WarSmith » 30 Aug 2017, 22:37

A recent series called 'Reign of Iron / Age of Iron' etc was also real fun.
Enjoyed Sword of Truth too although it became quite a predictable reading style.
Stephen Donaldson Thomas Covenant unbeliever is also quite an amazing series.
I used to only read fantasy until Conn igguldon and Bernard Cornwall started churning some awesome historical fiction (Ghenghis, Caesar, Saxons, Agincourt) especially battlefield scenes. But now I'm coming back and trying out new fantasy authors - thanks to a great Sci-fi Fantasy bookstore in Stockholm old town.
But still - after everything, there are books by GG Kay which I can happily re-read over and over again, and he is an awesome poet. He has some trilogy's like "summer tree" but also some magical singles such as 'Tigana' and 'a song for arbonne' - honestly couldn't recommend a single author more highly, he's a genius.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1799
All-game rating: 1814
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Fatmo » 30 Aug 2017, 22:43

WarSmith wrote:Stephen Donaldson Thomas Covenant unbeliever is also quite an amazing series.

Oh yea, I've had a few people recommend this one too. Maybe what I ought to do is order like three or four of the first books in some of these series and stick my toe in and see which one grabs me immediately.
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.
Fatmo

Postby mjparrett » 30 Aug 2017, 22:48

The other Sanderson trilogy (Mistborn) is decent too. Discworld is fantastic although they sadly tailed off in quality towards the end. KingKiller are without doubt the best books I have read in some time - can't wait for the third.

No mention yet for Robin Hobb? The Fitz/Fool saga (9th and final book just out) is brilliant. Truly amazing and I urge people to read.
mjparrett
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1691
All-game rating: 1728
Timezone: GMT

Postby WarSmith » 30 Aug 2017, 22:51

mjparrett wrote:The other Sanderson trilogy (Mistborn) is decent too. Discworld is fantastic although they sadly tailed off in quality towards the end. KingKiller are without doubt the best books I have read in some time - can't wait for the third.

No mention yet for Robin Hobb? The Fitz/Fool saga (9th and final book just out) is brilliant. Truly amazing and I urge people to read.

I read those years ago and really enjoyed. Didn't realize there was a new one out - cool!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Postby WarSmith » 30 Aug 2017, 22:52

Fatmo wrote:
WarSmith wrote:Stephen Donaldson Thomas Covenant unbeliever is also quite an amazing series.

Oh yea, I've had a few people recommend this one too. Maybe what I ought to do is order like three or four of the first books in some of these series and stick my toe in and see which one grabs me immediately.

The first book will get you.
It's somewhat shocking. The anti-hero is such a shocking departure from the norm.
WarSmith
Premium Member

Postby Fatmo » 30 Aug 2017, 23:01

WarSmith wrote:
Fatmo wrote:

The first book will get you.
It's somewhat shocking. The anti-hero is such a shocking departure from the norm.

Have you read the Prince of Thorns books? There is a somewhat shocking anti-hero in that book too, which was nice in that it wasn't normal. I've only read the first book in the trilogy but might go back and read the rest.
Fatmo

Postby machor » 30 Aug 2017, 23:35

A lot has been mentioned already. But what about Abercrombie?

His trilogy was preety good for me and the other three standalone novels in the same universe (Best served cold, Heroes and Red County) are also great.

Glokta...you gotta love Glokta...
machor
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1628
All-game rating: 1808
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby StarWatcher009 » 30 Aug 2017, 23:38

machor wrote:
Glokta...you gotta love Glokta...

Everyone's favourite torturer!
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Standard rating: 1055
All-game rating: 1466
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 30 Aug 2017, 23:59

These aren't my necessarily my all-time favorite series, but if you're at all interested in reading something good that was also written within the last 10 years or so:

• The Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin, which starts with The Fifth Season
  • The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski, which starts with The Last Wish
  • The Dandelion Dynasty series by Ken Liu, two books completed so far, the first of which is The Grace of Kings
  • The Imperial Radch trilogy by Ann Leckie, which starts with Ancillary Justice

That last series is more science fiction than fantasy, but it's still solidly in the subgenre of "space opera" and is pretty far removed from a realistic setting.
NoPunIn10Did
Organizer for the Classicist C-Diplo Series

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1273
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic