Fantasy Books

Anything you want to talk about.

Fantasy Books

Postby StarWatcher009 » 30 Aug 2017, 21:34

Which fantasy series have people enjoyed the most? (or maybe authors).

Personally; I'd rank A Song of Ice and Fire, Gentleman Bastards and Stormlight Archive as my three favourite I've read so far.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1055)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Fantasy Books

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 30 Aug 2017, 21:39

Gentleman Bastards, Kingkiller Chronicles, for recent series...Lord of the Rings for classic series. Those would probably be the top rung for me.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Fatmo » 30 Aug 2017, 21:53

I've read A Song of Ice and Fire as well as Stormlight. Both are great. Too bad neither will be complete in the next decade most likely :x

I liked the Dark Tower series by Steven King. It's a little different from your standard epic fantasy, but worth trying out. The movie that just came out was pretty bad, but the books may be to your liking. Some people don't like Steven King though, which I can understand. This is his best work as far as I'm concerned.

Currently reading the Book of the New Sun. It's pretty good, but I'm a bit less than halfway through. For some reason it's taking me a long time to read.

Kingkiller chronicle is pretty good too. Two out of the three are out. No clue when the last one will come out. As of the last time I checked, all the news was that they are trying to make that one into a movie series too. No news about the actual final book. There are lots of similarities with Book of the New Sun, as well as the Prince of Thorns. Book of the New Sun influenced both it seems.

There's also China Mieville books, but these can go more towards Science Fiction. Perdido Street Station and The Scar are both good, and the first two books in a loosely related trilogy.

Iain M. Banks also has some pretty good Science Fiction with a bit of fantasy peppered in. Probably the furthest thing from typical or epic fantasy that I'll mention.

My absolute favorite series however is the Malazon Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. It has a lot going for it, not the least of which is that it's already complete, so you know going into it that you have the chance to read the whole story at whatever pace you want and can get through the whole story. There's a lot to it, with ten pretty big books in the main series. It's incredible. The first book will be kind of confusing, but that's kind of intentional.

I've heard that Gentlemen Bastards really drops off after the first book, but that the first book is brilliant. Is it a trilogy or are there more? You think the whole series is really good taken as a whole?
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby SirRob » 30 Aug 2017, 22:03

Discworld. Far and away one of the best. LOTR and The Hobbit (and to an extent Silmarillion) I grew up reading and will always have a special place in my heart. (I've never been scared as much reading the chapter where the Dark Riders are chasing them through the Shire in Fellowship).

Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern is great as well. Lots of fond memories there.
SirRob

Postby StarWatcher009 » 30 Aug 2017, 22:07

Fatmo wrote:\

My absolute favorite series however is the Malazon Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. It has a lot going for it, not the least of which is that it's already complete, so you know going into it that you have the chance to read the whole story at whatever pace you want and can get through the whole story. There's a lot to it, with ten pretty big books in the main series. It's incredible. The first book will be kind of confusing, but that's kind of intentional.

I've heard that Gentlemen Bastards really drops off after the first book, but that the first book is brilliant. Is it a trilogy or are there more? You think the whole series is really good taken as a whole?

I'm on the second Malazan book now after reading the first a while ago. I wasn't sure about the first book but it's been said that the series picks up afterwards and you understand the world a bit better.

On GB; it's true the first book was the best (three out of 7 are published so far) but the others are still really good in my opinion. Apparently the first three were all designated as pseudo-prequels. Anyway; fourth is meant to be coming out soon.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Standard rating: (1055)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Fatmo » 30 Aug 2017, 22:17

SirRob wrote:Discworld. Far and away one of the best. LOTR and The Hobbit (and to an extent Silmarillion) I grew up reading and will always have a special place in my heart. (I've never been scared as much reading the chapter where the Dark Riders are chasing them through the Shire in Fellowship).

Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern is great as well. Lots of fond memories there.

I went through about a year of high school reading all the Tolkien that I could find. I'm one of those people who love the Silmarillion at least equally as much as LOTR. I reread both the Silmarillion and LOTR, which I have not done for many other books. The Hobbit was probably my least favorite major Tolkien work.

I hear good things about Diskworld.

StarWatcher009 wrote:
Fatmo wrote:\

I'm on the second Malazan book now after reading the first a while ago. I wasn't sure about the first book but it's been said that the series picks up afterwards and you understand the world a bit better.

On GB; it's true the first book was the best (three out of 7 are published so far) but the others are still really good in my opinion. Apparently the first three were all designated as pseudo-prequels. Anyway; fourth is meant to be coming out soon.

Do your remember Gardens of the Moon decently well? Or at least remember the things that intrigued you most? Remembering the more intriguing things and filing them away for later is probably the most important part of that book the first time you read it. I have not reread the series, but even just thinking about Gardens of the Moon, you only start to realize how cool it is in the context of the rest of the Malazon universe after you get through the rest of the books. I'll likely reread that series at some point.
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.
Fatmo

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 30 Aug 2017, 22:22

Fatmo: the first GB book is absutely brilliant. The second is very, very good. The third is...up and down is the kindest way to put it. Not great. But it's one of those things for me where the first book was so good, I'll give the fourth one a chance...and the fifth...and so on. Even in the middling third book, there were flashes of "oh yeah, THIS is what I love!" It just got bogged down in some other stuff.

Storm light is also really, really good, as is Malazan. Those two series are just a half step below for me, but they're right there.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Fatmo » 30 Aug 2017, 22:28

Has anyone here read the Black Company books? I've been kind of intrigued by them but have not actually known anyone who ever read them.

Maybe I'll try the first GB. I still have to finish Book of the New Sun, and ordered one of the ICE Malazon novels months ago, which I still want to read.
Fatmo

Postby WarSmith » 30 Aug 2017, 22:29

Everything by Guy Gavriel Kay.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1709
All-game rating: 1726
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby SirRob » 30 Aug 2017, 22:30

WarSmith wrote:Everything by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Yes.

Also, Madeline L'Engle. Wrinkle in Time series is amazing (perhaps more sci-fi than fantasy tho), but the movie looks bananas.
SirRob

Next

Return to Off-topic