Premier League 2017/18

Anything you want to talk about.

Premier League 2017/18

Postby sjg11 » 28 Jul 2017, 20:58

And here we go again, time for sjg's yearly Premier League tips and predictions. So without further ado:
1. Manchester City- I think they've improved defensively (Mendy and Walker in particular will be an improvement), they HAVE to be better in net than they were last season, their attack was really starting to fire by the end of last season. I have a question mark over their engine room but it's still good and with the attacking firepower they have they should be snatching the title this time
2. Chelsea- Great side. If it weren't for my rule that I never back a side to retain the title I'd probably back them this season. That and they seemed to tail off a little bit towards the end of last season as teams figured out how to deal with their 3-4-2-1 system
3. Spurs- Very good side. They lack a truly world-class player which is why I don't think they'll win the title. They could easily prove me wrong though, particularly if Alli continues improving. They also have the best defence in the league in my view.
4. Manchester United- Thing is I'm not really sure where they're going to improve. Sure, they have Lukaku but he's really just replacing Ibrahimovic and the issues they had last season still seem to be apparent. Their big hope is that Pogba will really start firing this year.
5. Liverpool- Good side. I just can't justify putting them ahead of any of the four who are above them. Their defence still looks a bit creaky too. When their on form though they're great to watch.
6. Arsenal- We're doomed.
7. Everton- Good signings but have lost Lukaku. Probably more of the same, best of the rest but not good enough to crack into the top 7
8. Leicester- Without European distractions or freak seasons they should probably finish about here with the quality in their squad. Now watch them win the league again.
9. Southampton- Solid mid-table side. Not sure there's much else to say about them.
10. West Ham- Good (albeit ageing) signings. Hernandez should solve their striking issues. Hart will be an improvement in goal. They'll be fine this season, particularly as they won't have to settle into a new stadium again this year.
11. Stoke City- More of the same for them. Last year was a little bit disappointing but I can't see them going down and I can't really see them pushing on much more either.
12. West Brom- They're managed by Tony Pulis. Need I say any more? Very solid side but lack the spark to go much further. Will likely get to 40 points quickly before their season peters out in about March.
13. Crystal Palace- Very good attack, although I have some question marks around the defensive side of the team (which is why they're behind West Brom and Stoke). If Riedewald/another new signing helps to patch up their defence they'll have a good season.
14. Newcastle- Newly promoted. This is where I think teams could easily end up going down this year. That said, I don't think that Newcastle will go down this year, Benitez is a good manager and their squad looks solid enough on paper. It is Newcastle though. So you never quite know.
15. Bournemouth- Good attack, but their defence has... issues. They're a bit of a swingy side for me, compared to Palace I could easily see them going down (whereas I can't with Palace) but I could also see them breaking into the top half again if they click. Hence why they're here, I've gone for somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.
16. Swansea- This is dependent on if Siggy stays. With the increased solidity they've gained under Paul Clement, combined with the partnership between Sigurdsson and Llorente they'll stay up. If Siggy leaves though I think they're doomed (which in my view will be great news for Burnley and Brighton). If he does leave and they go down it'll show them that relying on one player is an incredibly risky tactic.
17. Watford- This was a tricky prediction. I was impressed with Silva as a manager last season and Watford have a couple of talented players on paper... I think they'll just about stay up this season.
18. Burnley- Turf Moor is their hope. If they can turn it into a fortress again they might be able to survive again. Frankly though I worry about their attack, I'm just not sure that they're going to get enough goals this season. And Michael Keane leaving may well ruin their defensive solidity.
19. Brighton- I think they'll go down... but they have a fighting chance in my view. They've been near the top of the Championship for a few years now and Knockaert's a very good player. I just feel like they're largely a team of Championship players though who are well-drilled and well-organised... but don't have enough quality to survive. For example, Glenn Murray's a great Championship striker but has never been able to get goals consistently in the top tier.
20. Huddersfield- They were promoted with a negative goal difference having won two penalty shoot-outs and have the smallest budget in the league by a considerable distance. Great owner, great manager... but I think their main priority this year should be to try to replicate Burnley and attempt to build a side to survive in the Premier League in 2/3 years time.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 908
All-game rating: 899
Timezone: GMT

Re: Premier League 2017/18

Postby V » 28 Jul 2017, 21:07

I am so impressed each year that you make a prediction for every side. I will limit myself on agreement that "Citei" will get the title. Arsenal could get up to fourth (gotta provide hope to a gooner) & my beloved West Ham will finish higher than Everton, would give us 7th (happy with that). I think Watford are toast. They were so lucky to avoid relegation last year. Plus Brighton & Huddersfield as you have also chosen. Good luck to the gooners (my Dad's favourite team, bless him). Especially good luck to the hammers, we always need it more than most.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1682
All-game rating: 1707
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby sjg11 » 28 Jul 2017, 21:39

V wrote:I am so impressed each year that you make a prediction for every side. I will limit myself on agreement that "Citei" will get the title. Arsenal could get up to fourth (gotta provide hope to a gooner) & my beloved West Ham will finish higher than Everton, would give us 7th (happy with that). I think Watford are toast. They were so lucky to avoid relegation last year. Plus Brighton & Huddersfield as you have also chosen. Good luck to the gooners (my Dad's favourite team, bless him). Especially good luck to the hammers, we always need it more than most.

1. I can see us in fourth. We have a better defence than Liverpool and a better attack than United... I could easily see that happening. I just don't necessarily think it will happen. Plus, Europa League.
2. I can see that too. Everton have Europa League to contend with after all and you're decent. I generally think that the Hammers, Everton, Southampton and Leicester are turning into a league of their own to an extent.
3. Watford could easily go down. Largely I think that Newcastle down on my predictions could go down. Could easily be Watford. I just rate Silva as a manager which makes me think they'll finish on the right side of the line. Plus I think Burnley will have big issues this year. I also think that the big relegation unknown is the Sigurdsson situation. He's literally the key to Swansea's fate.
4. I will not deny that we need a healthy dose of luck this year and I wish the Hammers well too. We both have a shared loathing for Spurs and Chelsea after all.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Carebear » 28 Jul 2017, 22:44

Arsenal still has a team?!

I thought they had decided to disband it altogether and sell the stadium.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby sjg11 » 28 Jul 2017, 23:11

Carebear wrote:Arsenal still has a team?!

I thought they had decided to disband it altogether and sell the stadium.

Lol, I assume you agree with my views on us this year then?
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby StarWatcher009 » 28 Jul 2017, 23:46

sjg11 wrote:6. Arsenal- We're doomed.

I disagree. First off, I think Wenger will use the Europa league for fringe/academy/ageing players. Thus it won't be too much of a distraction. Secondly, I think Lacazette will be very good in the prem. He's the kind of all round guy that does well, especially with the quality of service we have. Furthermore, with Wenger staying put for the foreseeable future, the doubt in the team will have gone. It's important to remember that we were right up there last time until around Christmas. A couple of badly timed injuries derailed us (Carzola's loss had particular ramifications.). Moreover, at the end of last season, with the switch to the back three we seemed to be performing very well. Xhaka looked like he had really settled and was our best player in my opinion for many of our last few games.

The obvious elephant in the room is the situation of Sanchez and Ozil. If Ozil leaves, which is looking increasingly unlikely, I think we are doomed. The team is practically built around him nowadays. However, Sanchez as a lone cannon, could leave with less repercussions. In fact; one could argue there is an inverse correlation between Sanchez's performances and the team's.

Finally, there is still the chance we make another great signing. Always hope.

As an aside, SJG, were you Wenger in or out?
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Standard rating: 1055
All-game rating: 1466

Postby Carebear » 29 Jul 2017, 01:01

sjg11 wrote:Lol, I assume you agree with my views on us this year then?

I don't know. Hope springs eternal. But, yeah, it seems probable this year will be a death spiral out of Europe altogether.

The real question is whether I renew my Red Membership and get the 2016 FA cup pin and other pointless swag along with ticket buying rights that I won't use.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby sjg11 » 29 Jul 2017, 11:21

StarWatcher009 wrote:
sjg11 wrote:6. Arsenal- We're doomed.

I disagree. First off, I think Wenger will use the Europa league for fringe/academy/ageing players. Thus it won't be too much of a distraction. Secondly, I think Lacazette will be very good in the prem. He's the kind of all round guy that does well, especially with the quality of service we have. Furthermore, with Wenger staying put for the foreseeable future, the doubt in the team will have gone. It's important to remember that we were right up there last time until around Christmas. A couple of badly timed injuries derailed us (Carzola's loss had particular ramifications.). Moreover, at the end of last season, with the switch to the back three we seemed to be performing very well. Xhaka looked like he had really settled and was our best player in my opinion for many of our last few games.

The obvious elephant in the room is the situation of Sanchez and Ozil. If Ozil leaves, which is looking increasingly unlikely, I think we are doomed. The team is practically built around him nowadays. However, Sanchez as a lone cannon, could leave with less repercussions. In fact; one could argue there is an inverse correlation between Sanchez's performances and the team's.

Finally, there is still the chance we make another great signing. Always hope.

As an aside, SJG, were you Wenger in or out?

1. I agree that Wenger will use the Europa League for the reserves. At least initially, that could easily change around Christmas if we need to win the EL to get into the CL next season.
2. I'm a little bit unconvinced by Lacazette actually.... his goal record is good but the fact he doesn't play for France ahead of Giroud is what concerns me.
3. With Wenger staying the whingier section of our fans will be even worse next season.
4. Santi's injury has had complications (I think), putting him out for even longer. I'll agree that his injury was a big blow last year and an even bigger one the year before that. I agree, however, that Xhaka really started coming into his own towards the end of the season.
5. It actually looks like Sanchez and Ozil are going to stay. Nobody else seems to want Ozil and the club are not going to allow Sanchez to leave this year as they want to risk a run at the CL for next season (which nets them the same amount of money that selling Sanchez would). So yeah keeping them is a positive. Now all we need to do is sort out the defence and the midfield.
6. I was on the fence. I think for me it would depend on who would replace Wenger. A manager of the same, or even better ability level, would allow us to clear out the bad atmosphere and have a fresh start. But, of course, there was also the risk that we'd appoint someone worse than Wenger. So, yeah on the fence.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Jegpeg » 11 Aug 2017, 01:26

OK here is my prediction, I might add a few comments later, the big problem is there could still be big transfer moves that would affect the strength of teams.

1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd
4. Arsenal
5. Tottenham
6. Liverpool
7. Leicester
8. Southampton
9. Everton
10. West Ham
11. West Brom
12. Stoke
13. Bournemouth
14. Palace
15. Newcastle
16. Swansea
17. Burnley
18. Watford
19. Brighton
20. Huddersfield
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)

Postby sjg11 » 11 Aug 2017, 22:48

One of these days we're going to start the season with a nice, comfortable 2-0 win at home.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Next