Malazan Book of The Fallen: Worth Reading

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: Malazan Book of The Fallen: Worth Reading

Postby I Love Italy » 13 Feb 2016, 18:23

Master Radishes wrote:
I Love Italy wrote:So by "Wow" I'm assuming that you enjoyed Dust of Dreams quite a bit?

DoD ends on a massive cliffhanger. Make sure you have TCG on hand to begin reading immediately. ;) (And then think about those of us that had to wait a year between the two books!) The two books were always meant to be two separate books (Erikson had planned for the series to be ten books from nearly the beginning) but he wrote them together as basically two halves of one story.

I'm glad both of you are enjoying the series so much. :) To assuage any worries, I found the series ending quite satisfying. Just remember: Erikson has always stated that he's merely 'opening a window' into the Malazan world and letting us watch for awhile. He never meant to tell a complete story from beginning to end in the traditional way, and so there are several plotlines that don't get neatly wrapped up.

Actually, I find that type of storytelling preferable, in many cases, to the type which wraps every thread up neatly. As long as the main narrative drive for the series, though I have to admit I'm still somewhat confused as to what that is (and don't say anything. I know I'll figure out eventually) gets wrapped up, I'm fine with some other parts not getting closure.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby I Love Italy » 17 Feb 2016, 02:44

Not quite done with Reaper's Gale yet, but just finished the chapter with
the deaths of Beak and Toc.
Damn, that was brutal. I thought he'd used the best of his gut punching back in Deadhouse, with the Fall, but this... yeah. Words from any source but his pen cannot do justice to those scenes.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Postby I Love Italy » 18 Feb 2016, 01:29

Well, just finished Reaper's Gale. He did it again. After I wasn't crazy about Bonehunters, Reaper's Gale hit all the right notes for me, and really drove home all the emotional punches in the final few hundred pages.

As of now I think my ranking of the series would be:

1)Midnight Tides
2)Reaper's Gale
3)Deadhouse Gates
4)House of Chains
5)Memories of Ice
6)Gardens of the Moon
7)The Bonehunters

Or, in tiers:

1) Midnight Tides, Reaper's Gale
2)Deadhouse Gates, House of Chains
3)Memories of Ice, Gardens of the Moon
4)The Bonehunters
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Postby Fatmo » 18 Feb 2016, 05:25

Yea, I had to take a week or two between the seventh and eighth books to take a breath and let it sink in.

I'll be interested to see what you think of Toll the Hounds.

I'm going through the last book much more quickly (or at least I've been binge-reading over the last four days) than I've been reading for a while. Haha, I also can't let you beat me to the end when I was on book seven or eight when you started reading ;) . It's kind of hard to put down, and is definitely in my top tier of Malazon books. It's a huge book though, so there's still lots left. Things are definitely getting intense.
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby I Love Italy » 18 Feb 2016, 06:32

Alright! Certainly looking forward to it, and glad you're enjoying it.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Postby I Love Italy » 05 Mar 2016, 23:47

Finished Toll the Hounds earlier this morning. Great read! I'm still debating whether it comes in second or third in my list so far.

One point of interest (to me at least): I've heard a lot of hate for Nimander's storyline (and to a lesser extent, the happenings in Black Coral at large). It was actually one of my favorite parts of the book. I didn't find the resolution to be as powerful as the resolutions of the other threads, but I found the meat of the storyline to be one of the most engaging parts of the book. Really interesting (to me at least) musings on immortality, godhood, and redemption.

Anyway, on to Dust of Dreams!
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Postby I Love Italy » 16 Apr 2016, 23:13

Well, I just finished. Contrary to what I'd heard occasionally, I thought the final book was a perfect note to go out on. Not everything I wanted to happen did
the fucking Errant is still alive, unless I missed something
, but you know, it wouldn't be Erikson if he tied everything up nice and neat. I was especially impressed with how he managed to really tie up everything that had gone before in the last volume thematically. Skillfully written, and very enjoyable to read.

So, final rankings:

1)Midnight Tides
2) Reaper's Gale
3) The Crippled God
4) Toll the Hounds
5) Deadhouse Gates
6) House of Chains
7) Memories of Ice
8) Gardens of the Moon
9) Dust of Dreams
10) The Bonehunters

Or, tiers:

1: 1-3
2: 4-6
3: 7-8
4: 9-10

That said, I didn't dislike any of the books. And, if I ever reread it, I feel that I'd appreciate the lower ranked books better.

Anyway, thanks all for egging me on. Was a hell of a ride, and I don't regret a second of it.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Postby Fatmo » 29 Apr 2016, 05:46

I can't get the spoiler thing to work for me, which is why I didn't end up posting anything after you said you finished book 8 as well as the last one.

Haha, I still can't make it work, but yea, I really liked the whole series. I finished about two months ago I guess. I will say that, regarding the issue you had in that spoiler tag, I got the feeling it was something that was going to be resolved in the near future, and may have happened before the narrative actually finished, though that's up for interpretation. :D

If you want my opinions about that, go ahead and shoot me a PM I guess.

I didn't read anything for about a month after I finished, and then I realized I'd have to take a trip across the country and needed to find a book to read during the trip. I didn't have time to research about the next thing I wanted, so ended up ordering Forge of Darkness, which is the beginning a prequel series about lots of parts of the backstory focusing on the Tiste peoples (as well as some others). If you were like me, that was one of the most intriguing parts of the series, especially after the final book.

Unfortunately, after I ordered it, I checked and realized that this series isn't actually done yet. Only two out of the three are out, and the second one only came out this month. Guess I'll have to wait. It seems pretty good so far, and I already understand much better some aspects of the story that the main series only hinted at. I may even try out the books written by Esslemont to get a feel for if they are worth reading. I believe Antigonos recommended them in his post here, so there's that.
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby StarWatcher009 » 30 Aug 2017, 21:31

I'm a bit late to the party but after reading Gardens 9 months ago; I've finally started DG.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Standard rating: 1055
All-game rating: 1466
Timezone: GMT

Postby I Love Italy » 31 Aug 2017, 06:09

StarWatcher009 wrote:I'm a bit late to the party but after reading Gardens 9 months ago; I've finally started DG.

Nice! DG is pretty great. Let me know what you think as you continue!
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic