Blitzkrieg: AARS

An 8 player map set in the interbellum period in Europe. GM'ed by Nanooktheeskimo. Three way draw between Balkans (WarSmith), Turkey (Alman), and USSR (JonS).

Moderator: Morg

Re: Blitzkrieg: AARS

Postby Strategus » 28 Jul 2017, 18:55

WarSmith wrote:Most important thing:
Thankyou Nanook for doing such a great job!!!

Here, here!

My initial thought are to agree with Ghostecho. I said to Jon, early in the piece, that basically France and Spain can't work together. I believe that is a design flaw. Arguably no different from Austria/Turkey in a regular game, although more extreme. The reason is that Spain virtually has nowhere else to go. Italy and UK get too strong straight off. UK is another strange beast. Being split into two nations effectively. I think this takes a REALLY good player to do anything with. I think this was played out with two surrenders. So on the whole game balance was out for me. The other thing I found really frustrating was the length of time it took to play out the three way. This could have been voted through after about four turns if we had known it was going to carry through the whole game :x That was down to the players though, rather than the game, although I thought there were a lot of centres in the middle of the board, and that seemed to take an age to resolve, even with an obvious outcome. Overall, mixed feelings on this one. I think it has potential, but maybe more work is needed to get it fully balanced. My opinion only, of course :)
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1730
Timezone: GMT

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 28 Jul 2017, 20:30

I will write up more when I get home. But, my basic thoughts are that something has to be done to make French/Spanish conflict less of a certainty, and that UK is too vulnerable in the south. They're basically just waiting for one or two of Italy/Turkey/Balkans to take their centers out, and it's tough for them to really defend them without sacrificing the north by only building in the south.

Need to think more about the Spain/France issue. I think an easier fix for UK is putting in the Suez Canal rule that 1900 uses, or something very similar. tgat might help balance Spain too, but I need to look at it in more detail.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1389)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby JonS » 29 Jul 2017, 00:02

Has USSR ever done poorly in Blitzkrieg? When played by a competent player?

I played Balkans last time around, and boy did this feel easier. That was helped by friendly neighbors to the south and distracted neighbors to the west and north, but I sure felt safe and cozy in the east.

Fun game, but still unbalanced I fear.
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 29 Jul 2017, 01:03

JonS wrote:Has USSR ever done poorly in Blitzkrieg? When played by a competent player?

I played Balkans last time around, and boy did this feel easier. That was helped by friendly neighbors to the south and distracted neighbors to the west and north, but I sure felt safe and cozy in the east.

Fun game, but still unbalanced I fear.

I think a UK with a chance might help that. Less temptation for turkey (and Germany) to overrun them, meaning turkey (and Germany) have to look elsewhere. There's also to consider that Germany looked overpowered the first few runs too, and they didn't place this game despite a very competent player behind the wheel. On the runs here, we've had Antigonos twice and now you as USSR, so it's possible that they're overpowered...but it's also possible that we've just had strong players doing well as them. At any rate, I tend to think that if the Spanish/French and the UK issues can be resolved, USSR will sort of fall into place--and if it doesn't, it can be addressed then. But right now, since it's not immediately obvious if it's overpowered or just had good players (at least to me), I think it sort of takes a backseat priority wise.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1389)
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to Game 3