Time Travel Diplomacy Recruiting - 5/5+ Confirmed

A game in which players accumulate points to alter past orders. Designed and GM'ed by Marsman57. Ended in a 3 way draw shared by EpicDim (Egypt), Aeschines (Greece), and Nanooktheeskimo (Rome)

Moderator: Morg

Re: Time Travel Diplomacy Recruiting - 4/7

Postby mikeoregan » 04 Apr 2016, 18:38

Question 1
It was spring 1902 and France is in trouble, so he sent a time traveling order (FTT-S1902-S1901) back to Spring 1901 ...
Still in S1902 Germany will also send back an order, but his will go to Fall 1901, (GTT-S1902-F1901-A), where France's TT order has invalidated Germany's
but Germany anticipates this and also sent back (GTT-S1902-F1901-B) in case the past changed. Does Germany have to "pay" for both orders?

Question 2
It's now (if there is a now) Fall 1902 and France is still in trouble because of that time savvy German. But now he sends another order back to S1901 (FTT-F1902-S1901)
this one countermands FTT-S1902-S1901 (sent in S1902). Which order does the unit concerned obey? I assume that it is the order that from
its point of view comes from furthest in the future ... but you don't said that anywhere, or maybe you will did.

Questions 3, 4
Did all players get to see all time traveling orders?
Were all TTPs balances listed each year/season?

Question 5
Will you need to specify unit types in orders in the present?
Was it sufficient to order Mars - Pied (or should you have specify Fleet Mars - Pied?)

Question 6
Can I enter illegal orders in the present?
Say I have a fleet in Piedmont, and I order it to Venice.

Questions 5&6 are perfectly innocent questions and should not be discerned as a trick to get into Venice
when I time travel back and change my fleet build to an army build at half price.

Observation 1
And I probably shouldn't say this but ... since you gain 2 TTPs per year, and it costs 2 TTPs to send an order back one year, then
you can just save your TTPs for a long time and still change that S1901 "Trieste holds" to "Trieste - Venice" (or whatever) and
cause huge ripples.

That was insane, thanks for a great game!

(Obviously I'm in if you'll have me, but I reserve the right to come back and change that to an I'm out, if I lose. And back again, as often as necessary.)

Official Complaint
I have, do and will always object to the adjudication for the infamous F1923R paradoxes. Although the 8way draw will only be fair, since it was
England B's TT order that will force the 7 way draw before he even entered the game.
mikeoregan

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1336)
All-game rating: (1355)
Timezone: GMT

Postby EpicDim » 05 Apr 2016, 03:52

These answers are not official, but just my interpretation of the rules.

mikeoregan wrote:Question 1
It was spring 1902 and France is in trouble, so he sent a time traveling order (FTT-S1902-S1901) back to Spring 1901 ...
Still in S1902 Germany will also send back an order, but his will go to Fall 1901, (GTT-S1902-F1901-A), where France's TT order has invalidated Germany's
but Germany anticipates this and also sent back (GTT-S1902-F1901-B) in case the past changed. Does Germany have to "pay" for both orders?

If A and B are the same unit, this would be invalid since giving the same unit in the same phase two orders would cause a conflict and cause a Hold. I would think that he must pay for both, but it would only be a good idea if A and B were different units.

mikeoregan wrote:Question 2
It's now (if there is a now) Fall 1902 and France is still in trouble because of that time savvy German. But now he sends another order back to S1901 (FTT-F1902-S1901)
this one countermands FTT-S1902-S1901 (sent in S1902). Which order does the unit concerned obey? I assume that it is the order that from
its point of view comes from furthest in the future ... but you don't said that anywhere, or maybe you will did.

The latest one in our timeline will always override all previous orders. Think of it as changing the old order into a new one as if the old one never existed.

mikeoregan wrote:Questions 3, 4
Did all players get to see all time traveling orders?
Were all TTPs balances listed each year/season?

Since they are changing public information they should be seen and since it could be calculated there is no reason the balance of TTPs should be secret.

mikeoregan wrote:Question 5
Will you need to specify unit types in orders in the present?
Was it sufficient to order Mars - Pied (or should you have specify Fleet Mars - Pied?)

Since the standard is that unit type is irrelevant, even if it's incorrect it's still a valid order, I would expect that to not matter here as well.

mikeoregan wrote:Question 6
Can I enter illegal orders in the present?
Say I have a fleet in Piedmont, and I order it to Venice.

Good question, GM discretion I assume.
Each Present Orders phase, a player may enter a maximum number of orders equal to the number of supply centers they hold in the Present
After reading this in more detail, yes you can order illegal orders since you are limited to the total number of orders.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo, Han (Warring States 2) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby marsman57 » 06 Apr 2016, 05:40

Question 1:
EpicDim is correct. You can't make a conditional order based upon what you think might change. All changes must be paid for and you can't have two different orders for the same unit. If you change the order for a unit, the old order will be removed.

Question 2:
EpicDim again is correct. I think what you were missing out on with both questions is that an order is changed forever when you send it back. It's like the old one never existed. This change could make the situation worse if someone skunks you by going further into the past definitely.

Question 3-5:
EpicDim is correct.

Question 6:
I will affirm that it was definitely my intention that a fleet and army might change. I believe that I may have listed an example like that. Furthermore, it's worth saying that you can make current orders that don't even correspond with an existing unit because you anticipate the past will change in a favorable way.

I'm glad to see this revived. Maybe we can actually get enough to start!
marsman57

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1128)

Re: Time Travel Diplomacy Recruiting - 5/7

Postby marsman57 » 13 Apr 2016, 18:44

locksmithvic hasn't read my PMs in days. I am not holding out hope that he's still on the site based upon other stuff he's posted about being done with it. He's still welcome if he resurfaces.

Pinging Pedros. I think his schedule has lightened up. Also, hitting up Hindu_Warrior though he's currently not on the forum much. I didn't check his game load on the main site to see if he's still playing there.

If I can get at least 5 people through confirmations though, I'll find a map where we can run it with that many even if I ideally preferred standard.
marsman57

Postby marsman57 » 18 Apr 2016, 18:30

Unexpectedly, Pedros is also MIA!?!

Hindu_Warrior received my PM but did not respond.
marsman57

Postby Biscuitoid » 20 Apr 2016, 17:00

BTW, I'm still available and waiting.
Generation 34 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social/statistical experiment.)
Biscuitoid

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby marsman57 » 21 Apr 2016, 20:03

Cool!

I Love Italy needs a few weeks to get some of his newly started games going, so we'll revisit it in that amount of time. Maybe Pedros will show back up.
marsman57

Postby Hindu Warrior » 06 May 2016, 20:37

Boss this is insane .....

Yes I am intrigued but I am baffled by even the idea ... How will it proceed .

How can be plan 2 years ahead when we dont even know that this season orders will stay or wipe out ....

Though the idea is good but i think its way to complex and looking unmanagable from planning and strategizing ......

I think we all interested players can suggest .....
HW
Hindu Warrior

Standard rating: 763
All-game rating: 889

Postby Hindu Warrior » 06 May 2016, 20:42

And Hi guys..... my friends love of my hearts , cynosures of my eyes ..... :) :) :) :)

After a long hiatus i think i will resume back stabbing you...

Looking for Little stabbing as of now

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
HW
Hindu Warrior

Standard rating: 763
All-game rating: 889

Re: Time Travel Diplomacy Recruiting - 2/5 Confirmed

Postby marsman57 » 11 May 2016, 18:59

In hopes of getting a test off the ground. I am officially recruiting a five player variant. I'll still run 6-7 if I get an unexpected upswell of support.

Hindu_Warrior: I still can't tell if you are in or not. Post here a confirmation or send me a PM if you're in! The whole idea behind the variant is that you can't easily plan ahead because you have to plan behind.
marsman57

PreviousNext

Return to Time Travel Diplomacy {All Maps Visible}