Heptarchy: AAR's

Game #11, yes 11. Created by Geoff Bache. GM'ed by Joe92

Moderator: Morg

Heptarchy: AAR's

Postby joe92 » 11 Apr 2016, 20:05

Congratulations to Guns of Brixton on securing a solo victory for Mercia!

Now's the time for everyone to spill the beans on what was happening behind closed doors.... Any comments on the map and balance will always help too.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1721
Timezone: GMT

Re: Heptarchy: AAR's

Postby IDontPlayThisGame » 12 Apr 2016, 13:16

I guess the game could be called
'RIP IRELAND'.

Although I started on good terms with everyone excluding Wales/Cornubia. Cornubia was straight up hostile, whereas Wales was a bit more passive-aggressive.

As the game progressed, my allies went away one by one. I got stuck in a long war of attrition with Wales that I didn't want to persist. Anglia, who I had been very close with on plans about Cornubia, was inept strategically and died. I should've coordinated with them more early on. My second ally, Northumbria, was weakened and crushed by Scotland/Mercia.

Then, Nanook joined as Wales and I saw an opportunity for 'Hey, maybe we can end this war.' And I proposed that, so neutral moves only and no attacks... which failed because Nanook went straight out offensive on me.

I had to rush additional fleets towards Wales to stop them, but that went straight through me and Scotland's DMZ (I should've notified Scotland beforehand, but I failed to do that, whoops) and then Scotland got angry at me and sent many fleets around to attack.

I tried to reconcile with Cornubia over the threat of a growing Wales/Mercia/Scotland, but it was too late. I had lost almost everything. Oh well.

Rip Ireland.
I am IDPTG, and IDPTG means me.

Diplomacy wounds run deep, and take forever to heal.
IDontPlayThisGame

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (965)
All-game rating: (1086)

Postby IDontPlayThisGame » 12 Apr 2016, 13:17

Actually, I guess I ended up better than Cornubia, Anglia, and Northumbria, which puts me in the middle.
I am IDPTG, and IDPTG means me.

Diplomacy wounds run deep, and take forever to heal.
IDontPlayThisGame

All-game rating: (1086)

Postby Hazbot » 12 Apr 2016, 16:41

Well played by Brixton! I feel that this was a pretty good game for me, highlights included a daft plan where I fed Northumbria a plan to arrange to have one of my armies destroyed so that I could use the build for a fleet instead to attack Mercia, gave them a set of moves and proceeded to cancel all their movements with a single movement of my own since the moves I sent them would cause a chain bounce if I wanted to, so that was fun.

I did however also feel that perhaps I wasn't aggressive enough, I spent too much time worrying about what Ireland was planning in the North Channel instead of gunning southward for England which would have put me in a much better position to fight Mercia once they've become big enough to go solo.

Still, Mercia couldn't have been taken there in the first place without excellent play from Brixton, who had clearly displayed a fantastic grasp of their foes' psychology in their moves.
Bez Buldırabız!
Hazbot

Standard rating: (992)
All-game rating: (994)

Postby Britannialbion » 12 Apr 2016, 17:59

My first thought when I was given Northumbria was; 'hmm'. It was obvious that my position was vulnerable - I was trapped between Scotland and Mercia, both of whom had much easier avenues for expansion than I. I was concerned (rightly, it later turned out) that the two would form an alliance and crush me between them.

The solution, I felt, was the same as France employed throughout much of their real-life history - 'ally with the nations behind them'. So I set about trying to convince Ireland, Wales and Anglia to help me out and curb the expansion of the two big threats. All the while, I attempted to maintain good relations with my two neighbours, with mixed success.

As Hazbot mentioned, we came up with a strategy to destroy one of Scotland's armies to allow for the building of another fleet instead. I decided to go along with it because I thought that a Scotland with a big navy would inevitably lead to a Irish-Scottish war, due to mutual friction. Having two coasts, I had already decided to de-emphasise fleets unless I had to build them for an alliance, or for opportunistic raids.

Unfortunately, my worst fear came to pass. Scotland attacked me, and then, while I was struggling to juggle the diplomatic minefield which was Northumbrian-Welsh-Mercian relations, Mercia too brought up units to my borders. A joint attack seemed inevitable - though Mercia insisted they were 'there to help', I knew from experience that such a statement was rarely worthy of much merit.

However, there was nothing to be done. Almost overnight, despite a renewed non-aggression pact with the new Welsh player, my supply centres fell to the Mercians. I was able to keep the Scots at bay initially (as Mercia, to his credit, did indeed help me out to begin with - though I suspect this was a ploy to put me off guard), but ultimately I ended up with just one centre; Durham.

I think my main problem was that I had failed to develop my own concrete strategy. I was so paranoid about a joint attack from Scotland and Mercia that I failed to be assertive enough in the area around Liverpool. I should have tried to make a stronger alliance with the Welsh - and publicly revealed its existence, as a deterrent - and commited fully to an anti-Scottish was with the Irish as my allies.

Furthermore, I should have contacted Anglia and Cornubia sooner, to encourage them to act against Mercia to free my forces for offensive operations.

It would also have been better for me, I think, if I had been able to keep Irish-Welsh friction to a minimum, and kept them focused on the real threats: Mercia and Scotland

Anyway, congratulations Merica, and good game everyone! I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I hope to partake in another game once my exams are over.
I am from the United Kingdom. Tally-ho!
Britannialbion

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1004)
All-game rating: (1008)

Postby Guns of Brixton » 12 Apr 2016, 20:21

Thanks for all the compliments everyone and thanks for a great job running your debut game, Joe! I think in all honesty my success was quite a bit more fortuitous than to any great skill of my own - it's hard not to grow when almost no one ever attacks you. :)

My initial assessment was that Mercia would be a strong territory to play if I could make some decent alliances early and isolate one of the corner powers so as to establish my own corner. I was a bit surprised to see that I was the only one bidding all out on it (only IDPTG made it his 2nd choice - everyone else had it on a 1 pt minimum) as it seemed to offer lots of room to grow and possibilities for alliance forming. Although I was initially open to the possibility of allying with Anglia against Cornubia, I thought the reverse seemed a lot more promising as I felt Cornubia would need a peaceful border with me far longer than Anglia if Ireland and/or Wales were a threat. I decided to reach out first to cesspit on the reasoning that since he won my 2nd choice of Cornubia, he might agree with my assessment that a Mercia - Cornubia alliance could be a mutually beneficial method to shore up our borders.

Wales contacted me early on as well and I started to promote a 3-way CWM alliance whereby the two of them would work to keep Ireland offshore, Cornubia and I could take out Anglia and thus share plenty of growth centres and Wales and I could thwart any advances South from Northumbria. Both seemed receptive (especially Wales - maybe it was the Welsh-sounding acronym: CWM!) so off we went.

I made agreeable contact with Mr U and Brit (as well as Hazbot - IDPTG never responded much) and asked Mr U to hold off on taking Cambridge until the Fall. He complied but moved into Northamptonshire which threatened my southern centres so I was pretty sure we both knew we were at war. cesspit had tipped me off that he had been lobbying for Wales and him to attack me so I figured that might happen. My original move was to go to Staffordshire in order to possibly claim Shropshire but this tip-off meant I needed my troops further East and so decided to earn points with Wales by offering that border centre to him. My army went to Warwickshire instead.

In the Fall I was worried that Anglia might slip North to King's Lynn or Nottingham and lobbied him to go to Ipswich and Cambridge. We both knew we were at war and that Warwickshire would probably go for Oxford (I did and he bounced me) but I had a distinct advantage that I was already sitting in two new centres and he had yet to take his. I decided to take a chance that he wouldn't go North (who wants to overextend that early?) and tried a Den - Swe like move to bounce him from Ipswich, leaving him Cambridge as his only build. Worked better than I'd hoped - he defended Oxford and went for Ips bouncing me both places, whilst cesspit bounced him from Portsmouth. No builds for Anglia and he was doomed. It's really a poor position for Anglia in this game to face two potential "Swedens" (i.e. Russia's inability to take Swe in 1901 if Germany denies him) though he does have some options. I'm not sure what I would have done in Mr U's place.

In the North Don juan and I agreed to bounce Manchester to keep Northumbria weak. Wales further benefitted from the bounce as it allowed him to take Shropshire without risking that Brit would slip into Chesire and cause all kinds of problems. Similarly, for me it would keep Sheffield safe, weaken Northumbria and so allow me to concentrate on the South. Brit didn't seem too put off by the bounce and worked the next year to get in there with Don Juan's help.

So almost everything went right that first year. I got my two builds and had solid alliances with Wales and Cornubia, had kept Northumbria weak and so wasn't worried about him coming South and had given Anglia a huge setback with no builds. The most worrisome development was the apparent Whiskey Alliance up North between Ireland and Scotland but that wasn't going to affect me for a while - I made sure I advertised the threat as much as possible though to keep everyone else worried!

At this point Mr U made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He basically sued for peace by offering me the two neutral centres between us if I would dmz Warwick, Cotswolds, Northamptonshire and his home centres. This was 2/3 of what I was due to receive from my alliance with Cornubia so there was really very little downside. I figured I could agree to it and pretend to be still attacking him so Cornubia would think nothing was wrong and then turn on the stronger Cornubia at the right time and have a dependent ally in Anglia assisting. I began to subtly prep Wales for the move but I knew it was a few turns off and I could let things play out first.

Fast-forwarding a bit, it turned out that Mr U made a similar offer to cesspit but claimed to be / was betrayed by him and so said he appreciated my holding true to it. This turned out to be great for me because it meant that Mr U could stall cesspit's advance and prevent him from strengthening while I would be able to get a couple more builds in the South and begin my Northern Campaign early. I made a speculative move into South Pennines and then the Wold and made negotiations with Scotland on how to split up Northumbria. Wales didn't tell me he had agreed to let Brit into Manchester - which was a bit worrying - but then he went AWOL so I got to negotiate afresh with the new Wales who seemed receptive to our alliance since he had an Ireland problem on his West Coast to worry about. Hazbot's gambit into Flanders wasn't perfect but he sensibly agreed to stay there and not approach his coast if I left him be. Made sense to both of us. It allowed me to build two armies for my 1st builds and then an army and a fleet in the 2nd one. I was up to 8 centres and still had no real threat.

Pausing now because the wife shouldn't be left alone too long and I have poker tonight...
Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton

Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1622)

Postby Guns of Brixton » 13 Apr 2016, 17:46

Poker didn't go well at all so I'll come back to posting...

At the end of 651 I saw the world as a 3-way CWM southern alliance vs a 2-way Whiskey northern one. That changed though with Anglia's gambit and I started my move to the north to try to ensure Scotland wouldn't make too much headway against Northumbria before I could get in position. I didn't want to overtly help Anglia vs Cornubia because I didn't want to risk Wales joining him against me and because I didn't want to make Ireland too strong. A stalemate in the South would suit me just fine. I told Brit I wouldn't attack his centres (and honoured that) but moved my units into position to either support him against Scotland or else take my share if he looked like he would collapse.

Scotland wanted Lancaster, York and Durham (suggesting that I take Manchester and Liverpool) but I felt it would be foolish to let that happen as it would put me into direct conflict with Wales and thus present a tempting target for Scotland to continue South. Instead I resolved to support Brit until I could get a fleet into NSN and move in - then move ever northward with my builds in the South protecting my rear. Keeping Anglia around fit well with that strategy. I reached an agreement in 653 with Scotland where I'd take York and Manchester and he taking Durham, Liverpool and Lancashire which seemed to make us both happy. The added benefit was that it would avoid conflict with the next strongest power and encourage him to move on Ireland. I promptly took both my targets whilst Scotland took Durham and Northumbria was reduced to 2 units. Once again I had no real enemy and was continuing to grow.

Seeing this develop I decided that it made no sense to wait for Anglia's eventual defeat at the hands of Cornubia. My choices were to overtly join Anglia against his stronger adversary or betray the agreement and take some more possessions before Cornubia got there. For the first I wasn't particularly well-positioned, I'd risk inviting Wales or Scotland to attack while I was engaged and I'd give Cornubia excellent PR to advertise how I was stabbing everyone. For the 2nd I could pick off centres from the weak and not unduly upset anyone strong. I chose the 2nd and moved into the Thames Estuary and took London. The Winter of 653 gave me 3 builds and a total of 11 units with Scotland (7) and Cornubia (6) well behind in the arms race. Crucially, neither was truly an enemy yet either.

For 654 I decided that sooner or later I'd become Public Enemy #1 and so should set about attacking my biggest threats. I had good negotiations going on with the new Wales (Nanook helpfully replaced Don Juan who NMR'd and fell off the face of the Earth - to Rwanda sans internet connections as I later found out) and was still hoping to encourage Hazbot to attack Ireland so that left cesspit. I decided to move to the Southwest and put the press on Cornubia whilst finishing off Anglia. I also reached an agreement with Mr U to keep him around until the end if he'd act as my vassal, hoping to set up a similar situation that served me well in the south - I could support him against Scotland since I'd already taken 'my share' of the booty. Hazbot helped matters by saying he 'was in no hurry' to pick up Liverpool or Lancashire. Northumbria would provide a nice buffer if Scotland got ambitious and tried to attack whilst I was engaged in the South.

The Southern campaign started well as I was able to take Oxford and Dover (finishing off poor Anglia) whilst luring Cornubia out of position by feigning but not attacking Bristol. Cornubia hadn't lost anything yet but I gained 2 more units that Winter (to 13) and was able to at last build a 2nd Western fleet as well as a 3rd Eastern one which would allow me to defend my home territories while my other fleets turned the corner around Dover. I lost a fleet in the Cotswolds in S'55 but it didn't matter - I moved into position to enter Eng in 656 and was steadily pushing forward with my armies. Cornubia was in retreat.

To keep momentum going I used Northumbria's NMR in the Spring as an excuse to convince myself to reduce him to 1 and managed 2 more builds in W'655 (one to replace my disbanded fleet and one for growth). The tally was now Merc 14, Wales 8, Cornubia 6, Scotland 6, Ireland 3 and Northumbria 1. Oh, and the Whiskey Wars had begun meaning I had nothing to worry about up North either.

The rest was mop-up. I worried that only a stab by Wales and an all-out combined effort by everyone else could stop me now (not an unrealistic scenario given my lead) so I made some low intensity hits on Wales that I hoped would result in traded territories if he stabbed me while I shored up some of my weaknesses in the North. The South I just pushed relentlessly forward and used the weight of numbers to keep cesspit off balance and in retreat.

No threat from Wales or Scotland really materialised in 656 so I managed 3 more builds and started looking at end-game scenarios. I had it figured for 658 but got lucky in the end and reached 20 one year early.

Hope I didn't come across as too much of a bastard at any point - everyone seemed to be good sports and very competent players and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I've never had a game with essentially no setbacks though (I expanded every year) and so it leads me to suspect that Heptarchy isn't the most balanced game in the drawer. I really think Mercia has powerhouse potential if they don't face a concerted alliance early in the game. Maybe Wales and Northumbria would have moved on me together in the North if Don Juan had stayed around but I think Scotland would have taken advantage of that and I would have tried hard to woo Cornubia with promises of Welsh ports if I needed to. The key to Mercia, I think, is if you can isolate and take out Anglia you have a solid corner. MC is the juggernaut of this game in my humble opinion. That and to take advantage of the fact that if you get a strong start you can keep growing a lot faster as a central power than Scotland or Cornubia, which are more isolated. I think that's what made it possible for Giriom to solo in just 5 years (Game 6) and for me to do it in 7 - the two quickest of the 5 solos achieved in this variant.
Last edited by Guns of Brixton on 13 Apr 2016, 19:03, edited 3 times in total.
Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton

Postby Guns of Brixton » 13 Apr 2016, 18:50

Oh, and if anyone is interested I found it helpful to have all the moves in one place. Might make it easier for those who want to study strategy:

Code: Select all
Spring 651
Anglia - mr.universe
Oxford- Ntn
Dov-Sus
Lon-Ess

Cornubia - cesspitt
A Exe to Stn
F Ply to Cornish Sea
A Bri to Cot Bounced 1v1

Ireland - IDontPlayThisGame
F Belfast to Hebridean Sea
F Dublin to Irish Sea
F Crk to Celtic Sea

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
GLO - COT Bounced 1v1
BIR - WAR
NOT - SHE
KIN - NRW

Northumbria - Britannialbion
F Lan - Liv
A Dur - NPe
A Yor -Spe

Scotland - Hazbot
Gla A to Str
Edi A to Sup
Abe F to Norwegian Sea

Wales - Don Juan of Austria
Army residing in Wre moves to Che
Army residing in Cdf moves to Pow
Fleet harboring in Swa sails to Bristol Channel

Fall 651
Anglia - mr.universe
A Essex- Ipswich Bounced 1v1
A Ntn- Oxford Bounced 1v1
A Sussex- Portsmouth Bounced 1v1

Cornubia - cesspitt
F Cornish Sea- Sci
A Stn-Por Bounced 1v1
A Bri-Cot Bounced 1v1

Fleet Heb Sea to Heb
Fleet Iri Sea to Isle of Mann
Fleet Celt Sea to Scily Bounced 1v2

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Gloucester (GLO) to Cotswolds (COT) Bounced 1v1
Warwickshire (WAR) to Oxford (OXF) Bounced 1v1
Norwich (NRW) to Ipswich (IPS) Bounced 1v1
Sheffield (SHE) to Manchester (MAN) Bounced 1v1

A Npe holds
F Liv - Che Bounced 1v1
A Spe - Man Bounced 1v1

Scotland - Hazbot
Sup A to Dum
Str A supports Sup A to Dum
Norwegian Sea F to Dogger

Army residing happily in new found lands of Che attacks the land of Man Bounced 1v1
Army residing in Pow makes many tracks to Shr
The most glorious and grand flag ship/fleet floating in the Bristol Channel supports a purple clad vessel in the Cornish Sea to Sci

651 Builds
Anglia - mr.universe
A sense of regret over my spring moves

Cornubia - cesspitt
Please build a fleet in Plymouth
and an army in Exeter

Build me a fleet in Dublin
and a fleet in Crk (whatever that space is actually called) [It's called Cork]

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
A Not
A Kin

Army in Lan

Scotland - Hazbot
Army in Edinburgh
Fleet in Aberdeen

Fleet constructed in Wre
Fleet also in Swa

Spring 652
Anglia - mr.universe
Army in Ntn to Oxford
Army in Essex to London
Army in Sussex hold position

Cornubia - cesspitt
F Sci sup F Plymouth to cornish sea Support cut
F Plymouth to cornish sea
A Stn to The Downs
A Exeter to Stn
A bristol to cot

F Celtic Sea to Sci Bounced 1v1
F Crk to Celtic Sea Bounced 1v1
F Dublin to Cardigan Bay Bounced 1v1
F Heb to North Atlantic Ocean
F Isle of Mann to Irish Sea

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Nrw - Ips
Kin - Nrw
War - Not
Not - Kin
Glo hold
She - SPe

A NPe - Nmb Bounced 1v1
A Lan - NPe Bounced 1v1
F Liv holds
A SPe - Man

Scotland - Hazbot
Dum A Supports Str A to Sup
Str A to Sup
Edi A to Nmb Bounced 1v1
Abe F to Firth of Forth
Dogger F to Flanders

Che support SPe to Man
Wre moves to Colwyn Bay
Shr moves to Pow
Bristol Channel moves to Cardigan Bay Bounced 1v1
Swa moves to Bristol Channel Bounced 1v1

Fall 652
Anglia - mr.universe
Army London to the Downs
Army Sussex to Portsmouth Bounced 1v2
Army Oxford S Army London - Downs.

Cornubia - cesspitt
F Cornish Sea supports F Sci hold
F Sci Hold
A Cot to The Downs Bounced 1v2
A The downs to Portsmouth
A Stn s A The Downs to Portsmouth

F Celtic Sea move to Cardigan Bay
F Dublin support Celtic Sea to Cardigan Bay
F Irish Sea hold
F North Atlantic Ocean to Hebridean Sea
F Crk to Lei

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
SPennines to The Wold
Nottingham to Sheffield
Kings Lynn to Lincolnshire
Norwich to Cambridge
Gloucester holds
Ipswich holds

A NPe - York Bounced 1v1, Dislodged 1v2, Retreat needed
A Lan - York Bounced 1v1
F Liv holds
A Man holds

Scotland - Hazbot
Flanders F Hold
Firth of Forth F supports Edi A to Nmb
Edi A to Nmb
Sup A to NPe
Dum A supports Sup A to NPe

Colwyn bay supports Liv to Morecambe bay Corresponding order does not match, changed to hold
Che hold
Pow to Gwy
Swa to Cardigan bay Illegal order, changed to hold
Bristol channel support Sci to Celyic sea Corresponding order does not match, changed to hold

652 Builds
Cornubia - cesspitt
Fleet Exeter

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Fleet - Kings Lynn
Army - Nottingham

Build Army York

Scotland - Hazbot
NMR

Spring 653
Anglia - mr.universe
Army Oxford Hold
Army Downs to Portsmouth Bounced 2v2
Army Sussex S Army Downs -  Portsmouth

Cornubia - cesspitt
F Sci Hold
F Cornish Sea to English Channel
F Exeter to Lyme bay
A Cot to Som
A Stn sup A Por Hold
A Por hold

F Hebridean Sea to North Channel
F Cardigan Bay to Colwyn Bay
F Irish Sea support Cardigan Bay to Colwyn Bay
F Dublin to Cardigan Bay
F Lei support Dublin to Cardigan Bay

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
The Wold supports Durham to hold
Sheffield supports Lincolnshire to South Pennines
Kings Lynn to The Wash
Cambridge holds
Gloucester holds
Ipswich to North Sea South
Lincolnshire to South Pennines
Nottingham to the Peak District

A Dur holds
A York - NPe Bounced 2v3
A Lan supports A York - NPe
F Liv - Morcambe Bay
A Man holds

Scotland - Hazbot
Firth of Forth F to North Sea North
NPe A Holds
Dum A supports NPe A to Hold
Nmb A supports NPe A to Hold
Flanders F to Dogger

NMR
F (COL) Hold Dislodged 1v2, Retreat Needed

Fall 653
Anglia - mr.universe
Army Oxford to Cotswold
Army Downs to Portsmouth Bounced 1v1
Army Sussex support Army Downs to Portsmouth Support cut, Unit dislodged 1v2, Retreat needed

Cornubia - cesspitt
A Stn to Por Bounced 1v1
A Por to Sus
F English Channel sup A Por to Sus
F Lyme Bay to Stn Bounced 1v1
A Som to The Downs Bounced 1v1
F Sci Hold

Colwyn Bay to Wre Bounced 1v1
North Channel to Isle of Mann
Cardigan Bay to Dyf Bounced 1v1
Lei hold
Irish Sea to Colwyn Bay Bounced 1v1

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
The Wold - York
Sheffield - Manchester
S Pennines S Wol - Yor
Peak Distress S She - Man
North Sea (S) - Thames
The Wash - NSS
Gloucester HOLD
Cambridge - London

F Morcambe Bay - Cumbria
A Lan - Liv Bounced 1v1
A Man - Liv Bounced 1v1, Unit dislodged 1v2, No retreat, Auto-disband
A York supports A Durham to hold Support cut, Unit dislodged 1v2, No retreat, Auto-disband
A Durham supports A York to hold Support cut, Unit dislodged 1v3, Retreat

Scotland - Hazbot
Dogger F to Flanders
North Sea North F Supports Nmb A to Durham
Nmb A to Durham
NPe A support Nmb A to Durham
Dum A to Str

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
Bristol Channel to Celtic Sea
Gwy to Wre Bounced 1v1
Che to Wre Bounced 1v1
Swa to Dyf Bounced 1v1

653 Builds
Anglia - mr.universe
Destroy Army in Cotswold

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Fleet - Kings Lynn
Army - Nottingham
Army - Birmingham

Disband Fleet Cumbria

Scotland - Hazbot
Fleet in Glasgow
Fleet in Aberdeen

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
F Wre

Spring 654
Anglia - mr.universe
Dover Hold
The Downs to Oxford Bounced 1v1, Unit dislodged 1v2, No retreat, Auto-disband

Cornubia - cesspitt
F Sci Hold
F Lyme Bay to Stn
F English Channel to Por
A Sus to Dov Bounced 1v1
A som sup A Stn to The Downs
A Stn to The Downs

F Isle of Mann to Morecambe Bay
F Colwyn Bay support Isle of Mann to Morecambe Bay Support cut
F Lei to Cork
F Cardigan Bay hold
F Irish Sea to North Channel

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Gloucester - Cotswolds
Birmingham - Warwick
Nottingham - Northampton
Peak District - Staffordshire
London - Oxford Bounced 1v1
Thames - London Bounced 1v1
Kings Lynn - The Wash
Manchester - Liverpool Bounced 1v1
S Pennines supports York HOLD
York supports S Pennines HOLD
North Sea Sth S Kings Lynn - The Wash

A The Wold - Dur Bounced 1v1
A Lan - NPe Bounced 1v1

Scotland - Hazbot
Abe F to Hig
North Sea North F to Norwegian Sea
Gla F to Arg
Flanders F Holds
Durham A Holds
NPe A Support Durham A to Hold Support cut
Stra A Holds

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
Wre to Colwyn Bay Bounced 1v1
Gwy holds
Swa to Bristol Channel
Celtic Sea to North Atlantic Ocean
Che to Liv Bounced 1v1

Fall 654
Anglia - mr.universe
Dover holds, valiantly preparing for destruction Unit dislodged 1v2, No retreat available, Auto-disband

Cornubia - cesspitt
A The Downs to Oxford Bounced 1v2
A Sus to Dover Bounced 1v2
A Som to Bristol
F Stn to Lyme bay
F Portsmouth to The English Channel
F Sci hold

F Cork to Celtic Sea
F Cardigan Bay to Dyf
F Colwyn Bay support Morecombe Bay to Liverpool Support cut
F Morecombe Bay to Liverpool Bounced 1v2
F North Channel to Hebridean Sea Bounced 1v2

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Cotswolds HOLD
Warwickshire - Oxford
Northamptonshire supports War - Oxf
Staffordshire - Birmingham
London - Dover
Thames supports London - Dover
The Wash - North Sea Sth
Manchester supports Chester - Liverpool
S Pennines supports York HOLD
York supports The Wold - Durham
North Sea Sth - Straits of Dover

A Lan - NPe Bounced 1v1
A The Wold - Dur

Scotland - Hazbot
Flanders F Holds
Highlands F to Hebridean Sea
Norwegian Sea F supports Highlands F to Hebridean Sea
Arg F to Glasgow Bounced 1v1
Str A to Glasgow Bounced 1v1
Dur A Holds Unit dislodged 1v2, Retreat needed
NPe A supports Dur A to Hold Support cut

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
North Atlantic Ocean to Heb
Bristol Channel S Sci to Celtic Sea Corresponding order does not match, changed to hold
Gwy H
Che to Liv

654 Builds
Disband F Cork No such unit exists, assumed you meant Celtic Sea

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Fleet in Gloucester
Fleet in Kings Lynn

Scotland - Hazbot
Disband NPe

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
Fleets in Swa and Cdf

Spring 655
Cornubia - cesspitt
A Bri s A The Downs to Cot
A The Downs to Cot
A Sus hold
F English Channel s A sus Hold
F Lyme Bay Hold
F Sci hold

North Channel retreat to Belfast
Colwyn Bay to Liverpool Bounced 2v3
Morecombe Bay support Colwyn Bay to Liverpool
F Dyf fall back to Cardigan Bay!

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Gloucester - Severn
Cotswolds S Glo - Sev Support cut, Unit dislodged 1v2, No retreat, Auto-disband
Birmingham - Gloucester
Oxford - London
Thames S Oxf - Lon
Northamptonshire - Oxford
Dover - Sussex Bounced 2v2
Straits of Dover S Dov - Sus
North Sea Sth - Calais
Kings Lynn - The Wash
Manchester S Liverpool HOLD
S Pennines S York HOLD
York S Lancaster HOLD

NMR

Scotland - Hazbot
Arg to North Channel
Hebridean Sea support Arg to North Channel
Flanders Holds
Nmb to Edi
Str to Gla

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
Heb to NAO
Bristol Channel S Swa to Dyf
Swa to Dyf
Gwy S Swa to Dyf
Cdf H
Liv S Lan H

Fall 655
Cornubia - cesspitt
F Lyme Bay Sup F English Channel to hold
F English Channel hold
A Sussex to The Downs
A Cotswold sup A Sussex to The Downs
A Bristol sup A Cotswolds Support cut
F Sci hold

F Cardigan Bay to Celtic Sea
F Morecombe Bay to Isle of Mann
F Colwyn Bay to Chester Bounced 1v1
F Belfast to Hebridean Sea Bounced 1v1

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Severn - Bristol Bounced 1v1
Gloucester - Warwickshire Bounced 1v1
Oxford - Warwickshire Bounced 1v1
London - The Downs Bounced 1v2
Thames - London Bounced 1v1
Dover - Sussex
Straits of Dover S Dov - Sus
Calais - English Channel Bounced 1v2
The Wash - North Sea South
Manchester S Liv HOLD Corresponding order does not match, changed to hold
S Pennines - Lancashire
York S SPe - Lan

A Lan - Liv Bounced 1v1, Unit dislodged 1v2, Retreat needed
A Dur holds

Scotland - Hazbot
NMR

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
Liv to Che Bounced 1v1
Bristol Channel S Dyf to Cardigan Bay
Dyf to Cardigan Bay
Gwy to Pow
Wre to Colwyn Bay (One of these days...) Not this one, Bounced 1v1
North Atlantic Ocean to Cork
Cdf H

655 Builds
May the Fleet in *Colwyn Bay* rest in peace. They will be missed.

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
A Birmingham
A Nottingham

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
F Swa please

Spring 656
Cornubia - cesspitt
A The Downs to Por Bounced 1v1, Unit dislodged 1v3, Retreat needed
F English Channel to Por Bounced 1v1, Unit dislodged 1v2, Retreat needed
F Lyme Bay hold
A Cot hold
A Bri sup A Cot hold
F Sci hold

F Celtic Sea retreat to Lei Bounced 1v1
F Belfast move back to Dublin
F Isle of Mann, guard the island with your lives

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
A Gloucester - Exmoor
F Severn C A Glo - Exm
A Birmingham - Gloucester
A Nottingham - Warwickshire
A London - The Downs
A Oxford S Lon - Dow
A Sussex S Lon - Dow
F Straits of Dover - English Channel
F Calais S SoD - Eng
F Thames - Straits of Dover
F North Sea South S Tham - SoD Support cut
A Manchester S Liverpool - Chester Corresponding order does not match, changed to hold
A Lancashire HOLD
A York HOLD

A Dur - Yor Bounced 1v1

Scotland - Hazbot
Hebridean Sea to Belfast
North Channel support Hebridean Sea to Belfast
Norwegian Sea to Hebridean Sea
Flanders to North Sea South Bounced 1v1
Gla to Str
Edi Holds

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
Wre to Colwyn bay
Liv S Pow to Che
Pow to Che
Swa to Bristol Channel Bounced 1v1
Bristol Channel to Celtic Sea Bounced 1v1
Cardigan Bay to Lei Bounced 1v1
Crk to NAO
Cdf H

Fall 656
Cornubia - cesspitt
F Sci to Cornish Sea
F Cornish Sea to PLymouth
A Cot to Oxford Bounced 1v1, Unit dislodged 1v3, No retreat available, Auto-disband
A Somerset sup A Bristol
A Bristol hold
F Lyme Bay to Stn Bounced 1v2

Isle of Mann, move to Irish Sea Bounced 1v1
Fleet Dublin, support Isle of Mann moving to the Irish Sea Support cut
Fleet Celtic Sea move to North Atlantic Ocean

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Calais – Flanders
North Sea South S Cal – Fla
Sussex – Portsmouth
English Channel – Southampton
The Downs S Eng - Stn
Straits of Dover – English Channel
Gloucester – Cotswolds
Oxford S Glo – Cot
Warwickshire S Glo – Cot
Severn - Bristol Bounced 2v2
Exmoor S Sev - Bri
Lancaster - Liverpool Bounced 2v2
Manchester S Lan - Liv
York - Durham Bounced 1v1

A Dur - York Bounced 1v1

Scotland - Hazbot
Hebridean Sea to Hebrides
Belfast Holds
North Channel to Irish Sea Bounced 1v1
Flanders to North Sea North Illegal order changed to hold, Unit dislodged 1v2, Retreat needed
Edinburgh to Northumberland
Strathclyde to Dumfries

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
North Atlantic Ocean to Crk
Bristol Channel to Cwl
Cardigan Bay to Dublin Bounced 1v1
Colwyn Bay to Irish Sea Bounced 1v1
Liv kick the football around idly before getting bored after five minutes and retiring to the local pub for a night of carousing mixed with staring despondently at the wall behind the bar and wondering what it's all really about anyways (Hold)
Che supports Liv like a good friend, despite increasing misgivings and becoming progressively worried for his health (Support Liv H)
Swa to Bristol Channel
Cdf to Sev Bounced 1v1

656 Builds
Cornubia - cesspitt
Disband Fleet Cornish Sea

Disband the fleet in the North Atlantic Ocean

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Fleet in Gloucester
Army in Birmingham
Army in Nottingham

Scotland - Hazbot
Build Army in Edinburgh

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
Regretfully disband Cwl

Spring 657
Cornubia - cesspitt
Fleet Lyme Bay to Stn Bounced 1v2, Unit dislodged 1v2, Retreat needed
A Bristol to Exm Bounced 1v1
A Som to Exe Bounced 1v1, Unit dislodged 1v2, No retreat available, Auto-disband
F Ply to Cornish Sea

NMR

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Flanders - Dogger
North Sea South S Fla - Dog
Southampton - Lyme Bay
English Channel S Stn - Lym
Portsmouth - Southampton
Cotswolds - Somerset
The Downs S Cot - Som
Severn - Bristol Bounced 1v1
Gloucester - Severn Bounced 1v1
Exmoor - Exeter Bounced 1v1
Oxford - Cotswolds
Warwickshire S Oxf - Cot
Birmingham - Staffordshire
Nottingham - Peak District
Lancaster - Liverpool Bounced 1v1
Manchester S Lan - Liv Support cut
York - Durham Bounced 1v1

A Durham - York Bounced 1v1

Scotland - Hazbot
Dogger to North Sea North
North Channel to Irish Sea Bounced 1v1
Heb to Hebridean Sea
Belfast Holds
Dum to Cmb
Nmb to Npe
Edi to Nmb

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
Bristol Channel to Sci
Cardigan Bay to Bristol Channel
Cdf S Cardigan Bay to Bristol Channel
Cork to Lei
Colwyn Bay to Irish Sea Bounced 1v1
Liv S Che to Man Support cut
Che to Man Bounced 1v1

Fall 657
Cornubia - cesspitt
F Cornish Sea to Lyme Bay Bounced 1v1
F Plymouth to Exe Bounced 1v2
A bristol to Exmouth Bounced 1v1, Unit dislodged 1v2, No retreat available, Auto-disband

F Dublin Support Isle of Mann to Irish Sea Bounced 1v1
F Isle of Mann go to Irish Sea Bounced 1v1

Mercia - Guns of Brixton
Dogger - North Sea South
North Sea South -The Wash
English Channel - Cornish Sea Bounced 1v1
Somerset - Exeter
Southampton S Som - Exe
Exmoor - Plymouth Bounced 1v1
Lyme Bay S Exm - Ply Support cut
The Downs - Somerset
Severn - Bristol
Cotswolds S Sev - Bris
Gloucester - Gwent
Warwickshire - Birmingham
Peak District - Cheshire
Staffordshire S Pea - Che
Lancaster - Liverpool
Manchester S Lan - Liv
York - Lancaster

NMR #2

Scotland - Hazbot
North Channel to Solway Firth
Hebridean Sea to North Channel
Belfast support Hebridean Sea to North Channel
North Sea North to Norwegian Sea
Cmb to Lan
NPe supports Cmb to Lan
Nmb to Durham Bounced 1v1

Wales - nanooktheeskimo
Lei S Colwyn Bay to Cardigan Bay
Colwyn Bay to Cardigan Bay
Sci S Cornish Sea H
Che to Shr
Liv H and pray Unit dislodged 1v2, Retreat needed (Auto-retreated to SPe)
Cdf S Bristol Channel to Sev
Bristol Channel to Sev

657 Builds
Mercia - 3
Scotland - 1

And disbands from:
Cornubia - 1
Wales - 1

Happy to have moved Mercia from 4th into 1st place in the Heptarchy standings as the only Power with 2 solos. Through 11 games we have had 10 games completed and 1 abandoned with 5 solos, 2 x 2-ways, 2 x 3-ways and a 5-way.

1. Mercia (2 solos: Game 6 in 655(!) by Giriom and Game 11 in 657 by myself and 1 x 2-way)
2. Wales (1 solo: Game 10 in 660 by ColesD, 1 x 2-way, 1 x 3-way, 1 x 5-way)
3. Cornubia (1 solo: Game 4 in 658 by WarSmith, 1 x 2-way, 1 x 3-way)
4. Anglia (1 solo: Game 8 in 661 by Pedros, 1 x 3-way, 1 x 5-way)
5. Northumbria (2 x 3-ways, 1 x 5-way)
6. Scotland (1 x 2-way, 1 x 5-way)
7. Ireland (1 x 3-way, 1 x 5-way)

Pretty balanced really. I find it interesting that a few of the AARs talk about people wanting to take Ireland out early so they can't bunker down like Turkey. Giriom has a very interesting AAR following his Mercia solo - he won by taking 9 centres and losing 1 in his final round, jumping from 11 to 19 in 655! He believed, like I do, that Mercia should naturally want to take out Anglia and gives some detail on why Cornubia is usually tempted to help. Not sure what the solution is there - perhaps a stronger Northumbria?
Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton

Postby PyrrhusOfEpirus » 13 Apr 2016, 22:23

I am not going to write a lot here...
First of all, Ireland was correct in his assessment of me. "Strategically inept" was a bit mean, but also true.
At the beginning of the game I was open to alliance with Cornubia or Mercia, so that's why I agreed to leave Cambridge for the fall.
Northampton was a bad idea, and I further compounded this by going for Ipswich rather than securing Cambridge.
When Cornubia bounced me, I knew I had no alliance there, and despite communication with Wales, he hadn't done anything.
At this point, I was bordered by two enemies, and I tried to negotiate with them. However, eventually, they would coordinate and take my relatively open centers.
I guess my big failure in this game was the inability to get a real ally, but once the game started, I could feel that Cornubia and Mercia would work together against me; I would compare it to Austria and Russia allying against Turkey... there is a chance to stop it, but otherwise, it's tough.
Good game to all.
PyrrhusOfEpirus

All-game rating: (970)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby joe92 » 14 Apr 2016, 13:02

Thanks for the tally up of wins GoB. Was going to have look through the results myself. Interesting to see Ireland with the worst results. I figure when the game starts it looks like the safest power, being an island over by itself with no direct route for armies, and so the rest of the players are at the very least subconsciously predisposed to want to eliminate that "safe power".
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1721

Next

Return to Heptarchy 11