Devious GM Fall 1940

Diplomacy where the GM makes a set of unannounced predetermined random changes to the map, rules, etc based on one or more variants. Introduced by Pedros, GMed by Asudevil.

Moderator: Morg

Re: Devious GM Fall 1940

Postby asudevil » 06 Nov 2015, 02:26

marsman57 wrote:It is a bit unclear about how new units join the board. It seems obvious that if one of the two territorial options is unoccupied, then the other territory will be chosen, but if both are available is it a random roll? Similarly, is it a random roll if the unit in Morocco is a fleet or army? Or am I totally wrong about how it works and it's different? Maybe we all order the build similar to the rules for movement?

Also, the implication is that they get to have one unit more than the number of SCs they control. Is that correct?

Finally, what happens if they lose an SC they gained? Do they take a disband? If so, how is this determined?

Good questions...EVERYTHING is based on what order I get the most often.

If its a tie on builds...it will be a no build...if its a tie on disbands...it will follow the standard rules of auto-disbands...and yes, they get one unit more than the number of SCs they control

Thank you for the questions.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby EpicDim » 06 Nov 2015, 17:56

they get one unit more than the number of SCs they control

So if their last unit is destroyed, they will just get a new one?

Also, they build off board and then move onto board, or they build on board?
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby asudevil » 06 Nov 2015, 19:41

EpicDim wrote:

So if their last unit is destroyed, they will just get a new one?

Also, they build off board and then move onto board, or they build on board?

If they are destroyed they are destroyed...they get no "new free units"

Build on board....

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby EpicDim » 06 Nov 2015, 20:08

If they are destroyed they are destroyed...they get no "new free units"

These seem to be contradictory.

So Cavalry gains an SC, they get a build. Now they have 2 units. So now one of those units is destroyed and they still have an SC, do they get a build, or does it depend on which one is destroyed? Or do they just get a new unit every time they gain an SC regardless of the number of units and/or SCs? So if they keep gaining and losing the same SC, do they keep getting new units?

These units will remain on the board until either they are eaten by zombies or all the zombies have been destroyed

Does this mean that a player's units cannot force a disband of the Cavalry, and Spiders will not eat them either?

And does "We didn’t need THAT unit" apply to Cavalry?
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Postby EpicDim » 06 Nov 2015, 20:14

Can we get another day extension on the deadline until we get all these questions answered? This rule seems very unclear.
EpicDim

Postby Jegpeg » 06 Nov 2015, 20:16

If one of these units captures an SC a new unit of that country will enter from off the board into the allowed territories as above. America can only re-inforce with fleets. China can only re-inforce with armies. The Moors can re-inforce with armies in either space or a fleet in Morocco. These units will remain on the board until either they are eaten by zombies or all the zombies have been destroyed.

Hmm I think we made a bit of a mess with the clarity of this one.

New units will enter from off the board therefore they are built off the board, and receive orders for how to enter the board. However the Moors unit can be either fleet or an army in either space which implies the Moors are built on the board. I think the best interpretation here is American and Chinese units are built off the board and Moors units built on the board clearly not what was intended but the best interpretation of what is written.

Units remain on the board until the are either eaten by zombies or all the zombies have been destroyed this is fairly clear that cavalry units are not destroyed if they lose an SC. As written it also implies they can not be destroys if they are dislodged with no retreat but this is clearly nonsense. A build occurs whenever they gain an SC independent of the number of units they have (I think Cavalry units should not have a build unless SCs owned < 1+current units but that isn't in the rules as written).
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)
Timezone: GMT

Postby EpicDim » 06 Nov 2015, 20:46

The Moors can re-inforce with armies in either space or a fleet in Morocco.

So they could still build off board and an off-board fleet can't move to Morocco.
EpicDim

Postby asudevil » 06 Nov 2015, 22:00

It's not a mess...but not ideally written.

I will edit correct when I get home

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby asudevil » 07 Nov 2015, 15:10

Ok, forgot to deal with this last night.

New units will enter from off the board therefore they are built off the board, and receive orders for how to enter the board. However the Moors unit can be either fleet or an army in either space which implies the Moors are built on the board. I think the best interpretation here is American and Chinese units are built off the board and Moors units built on the board clearly not what was intended but the best interpretation of what is written.

New units will enter from off the board...as in they aren't already on the board...probably just poor wording...but units IN WINTER, will be placed in the allowed spaces. But they are coming from off the board, so they aren't able to be prevented as re-inforcements unless you block the build centers. Also if their entry spaces are blocked, they are held off the board and can make a move from off the board into one of the 2 spaces allowed. But you can't block off where they are coming from. So its a basic build where each country has 2 allowable build spaces. Builds will be ordered the same as movements (this was poorly written) where majority rules...ties will result in a no build. They are NOT built off board then moved in during spring...they are built in one of the 2 locations during winter.

Units remain on the board until the are either eaten by zombies or all the zombies have been destroyed this is fairly clear that cavalry units are not destroyed if they lose an SC. As written it also implies they can not be destroys if they are dislodged with no retreat but this is clearly nonsense. A build occurs whenever they gain an SC independent of the number of units they have (I think Cavalry units should not have a build unless SCs owned < 1+current units but that isn't in the rules as written).

They are always allowed 1 unit more than number of SCs they own. They perform builds/disbands as usual. The reason it says until the zombies are destroyed or they are zombied is so if they get eaten so that we know what happens when the zombies die (the cavalry just disappears)...or if they are eaten (you get no more cavalry if you let the first set get eaten)

So...possibly (DEFINITELY) poorly written. But we move on.

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby asudevil » 07 Nov 2015, 15:18

Official rule changed/clarified to answer questions...please let me know if there are still clarifications needed. Thank you.

asudevil
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Devious GM 2