Baltic Variant Signups (and Zeus V interest list)

4-player map set in the eponymous sea and surrounding territories. GM'ed by Aeschines. Solo'ed by Pedros

Moderator: Morg

Baltic Variant Signups (and Zeus V interest list)

Postby Aeschines » 28 Apr 2015, 19:46

EDIT:
Alright! With 4 people solidly interested in Baltic, and at least 1 person with tentative interest. I'm prepared to call the victory for Baltic. If anyone who wanted to play Zeus V is interested in being an alternate for Baltic - you are more than welcome!

And maybe some GM out there is excited about running another game of Zeus V. It seems like there is a fair amount of interest.

Now that I have a confirmation from four players I'll begin the blind auction (rules for the blind auction) with 100 points to spend. Remember, don't post anything about what power you would like to play. Please PM your bids!

I'll post the results of the blind auction on May 15th, at which point the game will begin. The first orders will be due on May 20th at 11:00pm PST (5 days for the first orders).

GM House Rules:
1.0: Deadlines will be run with 4 days (roughly 96 hours) for spring/fall and 1 day for retreat/builds (roughly 24 hours). If all players agree to extend a deadline or reduce the deadlines that will be given strong consideration.
    1.1: All deadlines will be at 11:00pm PST, unless otherwise stated
    1.2: I will endeavor to send out a 24hr warning to all players during movement phases - but this is not a guarantee, do not rely on this warning
    1.3: I will use speed deadlines as much as possible
    1.3.1: Unless marked PRELIMINARY in the subject line or at the top of the message, all orders will assumed to be finalized
    1.3.2: If I have received a full set of non-preliminary (i.e. finalized) orders I will process them before the deadline

2.0: Orders must be submitted to me by PM. Their subject lines must include "BALTIC [YEAR/SEASON] [Country]" in some reasonable order. I will accept orders until I begin processing the turn
    2.1: All order sets must be complete - I will only look at the last orders message you send to determine all of your orders for that turn; on order set that merely says "change ABC - XYZ to ABC S DEF - XYZ" will result in all units, other than ABC holding
    2.2: I will accept any order syntax/spelling as long as it is unambiguous (I will include context in this analysis, i.e. Irish Sea M LIV, would be allowed)
    2.3: Ambiguity will result in a HOLD order being given to the unit(s) (including, for example, giving one unit two orders in the same set)
    2.4: If I cannot find your order(s) because they have an incorrect subject line you will NMR, though it will not count against your total for the purposes of 3.0

3.0: NMRs; two NMRS will result in the player being replaced
    3.1: NMRs for builds/retreats will not be considered NMRs for purposes of 3.0
    3.2: A first-turn NMR will result in the player being replaced
    3.3: If a player leaves the game for any reason, I will pause the game and attempt to find a replacement

4.0: Draws can be proposed at any time. They must be proposed and voted on publicly in the thread
    4.1: Draws need not include all survivors
    4.2: Draws must have the assent of all players with SCs on the board to be approved
    4.3: Any veto instantly cancels a proposed draw

5.0: Errors in Adjudication must be identified before the subsequent turn is processed
    5.1: Errors identified in time will be corrected when identified and will result in a deadline extension, at the discretion of the GM
    5.2: Any error that goes unidentified after the subsequent turn is processed will stand

6.0: Other messages should have a subject other than that used for orders in 2.0

7.0: GM's Decisions are final

Baltic.png
Baltic.png (28.4 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

Rules for Baltic (modifications from the original rules are in BOLD CAPS)
1.0 Rules are the same as Standard Diplomacy unless amended below.

2.0 Canals and Sea Zones:
2.1 St. Petersburg, SAIMAA, TALLINN, WEST DVINA, STOCKHOLM, BOLMEN (ec), SILJAN & Goteborg act in the same manner as Kiel and Constantonople in Standard Diplomacy. [note, this change was made because the original map had no rules regarding what would happen with a fleet in one of the lakes that tried to move to an inland space, like Siljan. To compensate I've simply added a number of canals. None of the now-connected sea spaces adjoin, for example a fleet must move through either Siljan or Goteborg to get from VAT to VAN.]
2.2 Bolmen is a the only province with two coasts. Orders must specify which coast a fleet is occupying.
2.3 There is a canal connecting Vat to GoS. This is the "Gota Canal." This canal is used in the same manner as the KIEL CANAL IN REGULAR DIPLOMACY
3.0 Powers & Starting Positions:
Sweden- A Stockholm, F Sundsvall, F Goteborg
Finland- A Kuopio, F Helsingfors, F Vasa
Russia- A Minsk, F St. Petersburg, F Riga
Poland- A Warsaw, F Strulsund, F Danzig

4.0 Winning Conditions:
4.1 There are 22 total supply centers. For a solo win, 15 supply centers must be under the control of one power for a solo win. A draw must be voted for only by surviving powers

5.0 Neutrals:
5.1 "Cop" Copenhagen, Denmark; "Ron" Ronne, Bornholm Island; Malmo; "Sli" Slite, Gotland Island; Brest; Konigsberg, East Prussia; "Saa" Saaremaa Island; "Ala" Aland Island; Tallinn, Estonia; Tornio.

6.0 Sea Zones:
6.1 "Ska" Skaggerak; "Kat" Kattegat; "Sba" South Baltic; "Hab" Hano Bay; "GoS" Gulf of Stockholm; "Mba" Mid-Baltic; "Nba" North Baltic; "GoR" Gulf of Riga; "SGoB" South Gulf of Bothnia; "NGoB" North Gulf of Bothnia; "LPei" Lake Peipus; LLad" Lake Ladoga; "Van" Vanern; "Vat" Vattern.

7.0 Provinces:
7.1 All supply centers were named after the major city or town in that area. All non-supply centers are named after a major geographical occurrence in the area (i.e. lakes, rivers, mountains).

Signups:
Baltic
Gooderian (confirmed)
Alman (confirmed)
Fedorbear (confirmed)
Pedros (confirmed)

Alternates
Antigonos (confirmed)

Zeus V Map and Rules
Folks who are interested in Zeus V
MadeofMeat
Alman
Sleepyjim
Malevolence
Fedorbear
IDontPlayThisGame
Antigonos (interested)
Last edited by Aeschines on 25 May 2015, 07:56, edited 29 times in total.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1424
All-game rating: 1607
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Baltic or Zeus V? Which Game would you rather play?

Postby HighCheese » 28 Apr 2015, 20:39

I'm definitely in for Zues. Every time I play Baltic I get this balance of power thing going on and nobody ever wins.
HighCheese

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1161)
All-game rating: (1560)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby IDontPlayThisGame » 28 Apr 2015, 21:16

I like the look of Zeus, but the map looks confusing.
I am IDPTG, and IDPTG means me.

Diplomacy wounds run deep, and take forever to heal.
IDontPlayThisGame

Standard rating: (965)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Aeschines » 28 Apr 2015, 21:28

IDontPlayThisGame wrote:I like the look of Zeus, but the map looks confusing.

It's definitely hard to get your head wrapped around - but I think the concept is awesome, and people seem to like it pretty well. Should I put you down as interested? (I could let you use dinos and sharks, if you like! :P )
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1424
All-game rating: 1607

Postby Alman » 28 Apr 2015, 21:31

I'd perhaps be interested in either, with a preference for Baltic.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)

Postby Morg » 28 Apr 2015, 21:56

You might want to let people know a schedule, some house rules, etc.

Also ZeusV will need to be resized to make it below 60kb.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sleepyjim » 28 Apr 2015, 22:48

I will play Zeus.....

Jim
Gold Member of The Classicists!

Member of The Oldies!

Solo Win: Water Water Everywhere PBFD

2 Way Draw: 21st Century Diplomacy PBFD
sleepyjim

Standard rating: (1122)
All-game rating: (1101)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Antigonos » 29 Apr 2015, 01:26

I want to take a more careful look but I am certainly interested. Any idea of a schedule? One thing though, please no dinosaurs/sharks.
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)

Postby Malevolence » 29 Apr 2015, 01:29

would love to do zeus V
Creator of 1939, Superpowers, Future of the World, Fate of the World, Fantasy CYOC, Outbreak, History of the World, Italian Renaissance Diplomacy, 21st Century Diplomacy, Inheritors
Malevolence

Standard rating: (1094)
All-game rating: (1071)

Postby fedorbear » 29 Apr 2015, 01:34

I would play either!
fedorbear

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Game 8