GM-ing for playtesting

A section where you can ask questions to established GMs for guidance or general help.

Moderator: Morg

GM-ing for playtesting

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 29 Dec 2015, 18:42

I've noticed some posts regarding applying to be a new PBF GM. The last thing I saw mentioned "Morg" as the person to PM about being a GM, but that users needed to have somewhat of a track record.

Totally understandable. Having flaky GM's would be a huge problem.

For playtesting a new variant, however, might it be possible for two people to tag-team as GM's? Maybe one person is the official "approved" GM, and the other is the variant designer?

There'd need to be some agreement about who gets final say about what, but that might allow a degree of space between the person who's observing the game to potentially make future tweaks versus the person who resolves specific players' issues. Kinda like how an online video game makes its customer & tech support people different than its developers.

Or is this simply too much work?
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: GM-ing for playtesting

Postby asudevil » 29 Dec 2015, 19:44

This is not unusual for people who can't GM yet to still design variants...and then see if an established GM wants to run it.

I have run multiple variants for other people if I found them intriguing...but right now, Im wrapping up Devious and then starting WitA...so my plate is full
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Jegpeg » 05 Jan 2016, 01:03

It is also not unusual for a game to have a "2nd eyes" in fact it is insisted upon where there is some activity is hidden from the players (like fog of war) where it is quite likely that the players ar enot able to notice an adjudication error by the GM.

I was second eyes in devious GM but that is a crazy version with new rules coming out every season (planned in advance but not known to the players). I was able to help formulate the rules, check the adjudication (especially when there were invisible units) and provide my opinion when issues came up that we hadn't thought through .

While for a fairly simple variant with no fog a second GM isn't required there is no reason why an experienced GM can not run a test game while also helping (along with the players) determine how to tweak the rules to improve the game when it is played for real.
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 21 Mar 2016, 18:37

Okay, now that my first PBEM playtest of 1812 Overture is done, I'd like to run a second playtest, preferably via the forums.

Who do I need to PM to get "certified"? Is it still Morg or someone else?

Or, alternately, is there an already-certifed GM that would be willing to help administrate a PbF game of 1812 Overture? I can supply all maps and be the primary adjudicator, though it would definitely help to have that second set of eyes.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby Nanook » 22 Mar 2016, 07:18

If I'm not mistaken, you can GM your own playtest, as long as it's capped at 4 or 5 game years. And yes, Morg is still the person to contact--it's a pretty simple and straightforward process, only takes a couple days to get accredited usually I believe :)

Either way if you get accredited or enlist someone else to run it, I'll have my eyes out for it being run. If I have the time available when it's running, I'd love to get a chance to play :D
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 23 Mar 2016, 20:55

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Either way if you get accredited or enlist someone else to run it, I'll have my eyes out for it being run. If I have the time available when it's running, I'd love to get a chance to play :D

Thanks! I'll send you a message when recruitment starts in earnest.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 29 Mar 2016, 18:40

It's been several days, and I haven't gotten any response back from Morg. Is Morg still the only one in charge of PbF GM applications, or is there another moderator I can message?

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby Nanook » 29 Mar 2016, 19:50

nopunin10did wrote:It's been several days, and I haven't gotten any response back from Morg. Is Morg still the only one in charge of PbF GM applications, or is there another moderator I can message?

To my knowledge, it's just him. I believe he's on vacation, but should be back in a day or two. I'm sure he'll get back to you as soon as he can, he's very good about that sort of thing :)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby asudevil » 30 Mar 2016, 01:11

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
nopunin10did wrote:It's been several days, and I haven't gotten any response back from Morg. Is Morg still the only one in charge of PbF GM applications, or is there another moderator I can message?

To my knowledge, it's just him. I believe he's on vacation, but should be back in a day or two. I'm sure he'll get back to you as soon as he can, he's very good about that sort of thing :)

He's the only one...but he's CRAZY busy right now out of town. It will come back sooner rather than later.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Return to Ask A PbFDip GM