Is the forum the best mechanism?

A section where you can ask questions to established GMs for guidance or general help.

Moderator: Morg

Is the forum the best mechanism?

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 27 Dec 2015, 20:06

Have any of the PBF games been played via direct email, or do people generally prefer the forum interface?

Or are there any tools used off-forum to handle communication?
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Is the forum the best mechanism?

Postby Alman » 27 Dec 2015, 22:05

As far as I know, all the PbF games are run through PM. It tends to be easy, it allows you to see when your messages are picked up, and easily links up with the maps on the Forum. Further, not everyone here links to their real-life identities, and using the PM system and the Forum allows you to reveal only as much as you want.

That being said, I know there are some other sites that rely on email. My very limited experience with them convinced me that I liked the Forum/PM combo much better. Smoother communication which is the life-blood of Diplomacy. But others may have a different take.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)

Postby asudevil » 27 Dec 2015, 23:06

Once upon a time...lots of these games were played via email and such. I was in a game created by Baron Von Powell (creator of the 1900 variant)...and playing through email...SUCKED by comparison to the forum.

Its doable...but I won't do it again
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 27 Dec 2015, 23:32

That makes sense.

What about some of the other limitations in regard to file size? I've seen instructions on the PBF forums saying that all images should be uploaded to the forum (for archival purposes), but at the same time they complain about files posted being too big.

That's got to be frustrating to have to keep reducing the quality of a map down until it hits the sweet spot when so many cloud-based storage options provide unlimited bandwidth instead.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)

Postby asudevil » 27 Dec 2015, 23:52

nopunin10did wrote:That makes sense.

What about some of the other limitations in regard to file size? I've seen instructions on the PBF forums saying that all images should be uploaded to the forum (for archival purposes), but at the same time they complain about files posted being too big.

That's got to be frustrating to have to keep reducing the quality of a map down until it hits the sweet spot when so many cloud-based storage options provide unlimited bandwidth instead.

Its really not that hard to get it to 80...and if you are running a mega game with WAY more than 7-10 players...you can go over.

And if you really want to host on a different site you can...its just harder sometimes if that site changes their rules.

But really file size...is the least of my worries.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Return to Ask A PbFDip GM