Mega-DVFG

Large-scale game on a world map, with major and minor powers. Created and GMd by asudevil.

Moderator: Morg

Mega-DVFG

Postby asudevil » 30 Nov 2014, 01:13

I have an idea of a map I want to run that would have major and minor powers. But the minor powers would shift allegiances based on the following rules that have been played in 1933 and 1930s created by pharaoh of nerds.

Players bid IPs (Influence points) each year in the Minor Diplomacy Phase, at the beginning of every Spring Turn (The game starts in Spring 2010). The player with the most IPs invested in a Minor Power gains control of it.

At the beginning of the Minor Diplomacy Phase, each player collects 3 IPs for every Supply Center they control. The minor power IPs will be kept track via spreadsheet that will be posted during winter and Spring bidding season. No player will start with more than 12 IP (So everyone will either have 9 and a few will have 12).

Before bidding starts, Influence decays. The IPs of each power left over from previous turns (those previously bid) are reduced by half. In the case of odd numbers, round up, unless doing so would cause there to be a tie with a player that had a greater amount of IPs before the reduction, in which case round down. Single IP's will always round down to zero for GM convenience. After that, for every supply center annexed by the Minor Power the previous Winter, the Major Power(s) controlling it is/are awarded 3 additional IPs in that box, and loses 3 for each center lost (to a minimum value of 0 IPs).

Next, Players write down what they bid for each power. Players may talk to one another at this time. Players may not trade or give away IPs, but may bid IPs (both new ones and ones carried over from previous turns) in support of another player, if specified in the orders. In the first turn (Spring 2010), players may not bid more than 9 IPs on any one minor power. Once everyone is done or until the phase is over bids are publicized. The bids are added to the pre-existing IPs in the boxes. Whatever Player has the most invested in a Minor Power gains control of it for the year. In the case of a tie, control goes to whatever major power last submitted orders for the minor power as long as those orders were in the immediately prior Spring/Fall/Winter phase (ie: the previous year). In this case, hold orders (or NMR's) count as orders submitted.

If the player who controlled a Minor Power the previous year is not part of the tie, Coalition Control is established. If that happens, each power in the tie writes orders for the Minor Power. For each unit, whatever order is submitted by the most powers is what happens. In case of a tie, the unit holds.

If a player takes a home supply center from a Minor Power he or she controls, he or she loses control of said Minor Power (immediately) and may never bid for control of it again. Control is transferred to the player with the most IPs invested in it. If there is a tie, a Coalition controls it until the next bidding phase. In addition, the belligerent power loses all built-up influence with other Minor Powers, and in the future they only collect 2 IPs from each supply center they own instead of 3. If a player takes ANY supply center from a Minor Power he or she controls, he or she loses half the IPs (rounded up) that they have invested in that Minor Power. Since SC control happens during winter, this would occur BEFORE standard decay of influence. Control of this Minor Power MAY change hands during winter in either scenario in which case the new player with the most IPs invested in it will make the winter adjustments. If there is a tie, a Coalition controls it until the next bidding phase. In either case above, if the Minor Power was under control of a coalition during the season in which a center was lost, only the Major Power taking control of the Minor Power's center is subject to the penalties outlined.

After discussion with my "second eyes" (attitudes), it has been determined that the OWNER (or Coalition) of every Minor Power will be publicized WITH their winning IP total, however the rest of the bids will remain secret so that the leader does not know how far behind the "chasers" are for influence of a certain minor power. It is believed that the added mystery will be intriguing.

The game will be called World Influence and start in spring 2010

The major powers would be assigned via preferences...I will take top 5 and then try to make everyone happy, and the minor powers would shift allegiances via the IP bidding above.

I will be running this game with the following deadlings 2days for Minor IP bidding/4 days for Spring orders/1 (2?) day for retreats/4 days for Fall orders/1 (2?) day for retreats/1 (2?) day for builds. I know there has been a suggestion that people want to make sure they have a weekend to work on discussions for movement orders. While I can not guarantee that every movement season will end on a Sunday evening...I can guarantee that every movement season will have at LEAST one weekend day in it (may be beginning or end...and may be only 1 if the orders are posted early Sunday morning...or deadline is late Saturday evening)...My idea of late/early is based on GMT - 7...cause that's where I am. So I will try and float orders to make the orders hit BOTH weekend days as often as I can...but its flexible.

The 18 playable "major" countries are

USA (including GUA, BAG)
Mexico
Venezuela
Peru
Brazil
UK (including BLZ, GIB, SNG)
France (including IVO, FRG)
Germany
Israel
Egypt
Nigeria
South Africa
Russia
Iran
India
China (including KHA)
Japan
Australia

The 24 bidable "minor" countries are

Canada
Cuba
Chile
Argentina
Sweden
Poland
Italy
Serbia
Morocco
Tunisia
Mali
DRC
Kenya
Ukraine
Turkey
Saudi Arabia
Kazakhstan
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
North Korea
Vietnam
Thailand
Philippians
Indonesia

The "cross" SC's are build anywhere allowing for minors to build more than 1 unit at a time as well as letting major countries have options so they don't ALWAYS have to move units from the back.

Ocean Islands (like AZO...usually with a circle ocean around them)...these places are treated like land AND sea zones...so fleets can be in them, or armies can be convoyed into them. But the water and the land are the same place...so only one unit in the "circle"

PAN and IST function as CON in the standard game

Land bridges (black arrows) can be used by either fleets OR armies to go between the connected land areas. (This was my beginning opinion and I confirmed with multiple GM's who ran the map this is LOOSELY based on)

Fleets can go from RED (Sea) to either CAI or SIN and then into the eastern Med (either EMD or CYP from SIN)...and obviously reverse

The fleet that starts in TOK (Japan) can start on either coast...Its completely up to the player and will not be determined until Spring 2010 orders are revealed....all future units must be assigned a coast.

Allied minors are treated as separate countries which means you CAN cut the support of your own minor...and minors CAN dislodge majors if they have enough power (and vice versa)...

There are 185SC in the game. After MULTIPLE comments saying that 100 was too high I'm going to encourage people going for the solo by making the solo requirement 85 SC's (major and all minors controlled during any winter)

Questions...PM them to me is preferred...so people don't know what others are thinking. I will summarize all questions at the end of the thread as I continue to work on the map. So keep checking the thread.

Also, Im looking at finalizing the map around the 28th? Preferences starting around the new year (just after the forum re-organization Rick has mentioned)...with preferences announced around the 8th (I know I have some people traveling that weekend)...and first orders due on the 12th...(4 days for that first minor IP bidding season...then like a 6day spring 2010 movement season?)

So if you are still interested...let me know that too...I need 18 players...I have 23ish...let me know if you want to lock in/confirm your playing of this game. This is not FCFS...I reserve the right to pick the players based on prior experience (good/bad)

SIGNUPS
ninjaruler
lordelindel
fijikilo0
marsman57
pjkon
Raphtown
vaderi
glacier777
anaupr
sjg11
Antigonos
BigBert
Flatley
Alman
Shibabalo
GhostEcho
AardvarkArmy
Mouse

Subs
bonnieblue85...subbed in for anaupr
Stanislaw...subbed in for Flatley
LBS...subbed in for Bert
WHSeward...subbed in for bonnieblue85
mambam14
KingSolomon9
nanooktheeskimo
JC1985
I Love Italy
jakofipa (summber)
DonLef
Morg (Still working on him)
Girion (Still working on him)
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Mega-DVFG

Postby marsman57 » 30 Nov 2014, 02:00

Interested if others from the EDIT thread are.
marsman57

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1128)
Timezone: GMT

Postby asudevil » 30 Nov 2014, 02:05

marsman57 wrote:Interested if others from the thread are.

Noted....we will see how many reply

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby ninjaruler » 30 Nov 2014, 04:22

It would love to play in this if it ends up going.
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby ninjaruler » 30 Nov 2014, 04:55

I do have to add though, that depending in when it starts I may not be able to play, because at the end of January I will be moving across the country. And I don't know if I would have reliable access to the Internet for about 5 days or so. But if it is after that, I'm game for it.
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Postby asudevil » 30 Nov 2014, 05:00

ninjaruler wrote:I do have to add though, that depending in when it starts I may not be able to play, because at the end of January I will be moving across the country. And I don't know if I would have reliable access to the Internet for about 5 days or so. But if it is after that, I'm game for it.

Im looking at around the first of the year if I can get it going...but I would give a slight extension during that time for the 5 days (or you can always get a sub for the season or 2 that this would involve.)

That is the least of my worries right now...lol

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby Pedros » 30 Nov 2014, 05:13

Must have something going for it to attract marsman and Bert!

BigBert - fantastic to see you back!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby asudevil » 30 Nov 2014, 05:46

Pedros wrote:Must have something going for it to attract marsman and Bert!

BigBert - fantastic to see you back!

But can we get Pedros to play.

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby ninjaruler » 30 Nov 2014, 06:31

asudevil wrote:
ninjaruler wrote:I do have to add though, that depending in when it starts I may not be able to play, because at the end of January I will be moving across the country. And I don't know if I would have reliable access to the Internet for about 5 days or so. But if it is after that, I'm game for it.

Im looking at around the first of the year if I can get it going...but I would give a slight extension during that time for the 5 days (or you can always get a sub for the season or 2 that this would involve.)

That is the least of my worries right now...lol

A sub would definitely work, that was one of the thoughts I had concerning it, alright. Well hopefully this goes. I'm kinda excited about it.
ninjaruler

Postby Morg » 30 Nov 2014, 10:09

Considering.

I'd want to see the map of course, but I understand the delay.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)

Next

Return to World Influence {All Maps Visible}